5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read
Fun and easy read sometimes it's good to read a non thinking book as I call them a little book of joy in this troubled world
Published 14 months ago by Pat Taft

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
Story predictable, pedestrian and characters one dimensional. Writing style immature and fussy!
I can only assume this book was published because of the 'name' of the writer rather than any literary merit. I find that in itself disappointing.
Published 12 months ago by Angela Pratten

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 2 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Second time Lucky!!, 11 Jun. 2012
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Hardcover)
I read Fern Britton's New Beginnings last year but I put it down just after half way through as I was finding it a real challenge to carry on as it wasn't gripping my attention. I decided to give Fern another try and so decided to read Hidden Treasures.

With her children now off hand it is time for Helen to leave her cheating husband and make a new life for herself. Helen is making her new life in a quaint Cornish village of Pendruggan. Before long Helen is making a new set of quirky friends and has also caught the attention of more than one man's eye!

Thing is romance is not on the top of Helens list as she wants the chance to be free and independent. Helens best friend from London Penny, is soon heading to Penduggan to start shooting a new T.V series which also brings the help of Helen's ex, who is intent on getting Helen back but will Helen open her heart to any of these men she has caught the attention of?

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this book I am glad I gave Fern Britton another try. The book gets off to a great cosy start and introduces us to some typical quirky country folk who were a joy to read. I really loved Simple Tony and I wish he had featured more in this book but maybe in this case less was more.

If you are looking for romance this is a great read for you with a love triangle turning into a steamy love square! The author really kept us guessing when it came to who Helen would end up with, if anyone, but the big shock for me was a relationship which formed between Helen's best friend Penny and a certain someone!

I really enjoyed this book and found it very hard to put down. I did find the first half of the book was a lot better than the second half because as soon as the whole television slash fame part began in the book my attention started to waiver but it picked up again towards the end. I hope Fern's next book will leave out any kind of fame/celebrity content as her writing is much more enjoyable when this is not included.

I will be picking up another of Fern Britton's books in future as I enjoyed this one even though I was a little hesitant to read another one of the author's books, but this is a pleasant read one that is worth picking up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Treasures, a really enjoyable read, 25 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed reading Hidden Treasures by Fern Britton. The setting is Cornwall and Fern transports you there. The characters soon become friends as you read and you long to find out what happens to them. It made me laugh and totally absorbed me. A real page turner for me. I had a couple of very late nights because I just couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read New Beginnings and hope Fern is already writing her next novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 11 May 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe this got published., 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear I have a lot to learn about reading ratings, which is why I've decided to rate this book. There's no literary quality to this book. It's full of terrible cliches. It's as if the writer has taken a look at a recipe book listing stock ingredients ; spurned female, country cottage, cliched good looking difficult male, misunderstandings, and a happy-ever after then peppered it with branded items, that read like a shopping catalogue. Did Aga and Cath Kidson get a royalty? Come on publishers are your standards really so low?

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggling to finish this, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book because it was free, and because I like Fern Britton. Clearly the publishers must as well, because if anyone else had written this book I doubt it would have been published. There is a place for chick lit (for want of a better definition of the genre), but it still needs to be well written, engaging and to have vaguely believable characters. Packing a large chunk of the book with endless details of the mechanics of film-making is tedious and irrelevant. I am now past the point of caring who ends up with whom, as the majority of the characters seem self-absorbed and vacuous. Would I want to know these people in real life? NO! Maybe Fern should attend a Jilly Cooper master-class, because although JC's work may not be at its peak now, her early works were stuffed full of humour and people you actually cared about. If there are any treasures in this book, they are indeed well hidden!

3.0 out of 5 stars Frothy nothings?, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to enjoy this book only the second I've read by fern britton, (the first I hated) but it didn't live up to the glowing reviews from others. Books can have a love hate relationship with people I know, but the entire novel was littered with odd cliches and stereotypes. Toward the end came "in his little Porsche with the roof off and several canvases strapped onto the roof" page 358. A Porsche roof disappears into the space at the back, totally out of view so what we're the canvases strapped to?? And another "she gave him a powerful liquid look" what is that?? Love hate lust laughter? The book was littered with odd phrases I just didn't get, but I lost the will to write anymore down. Perhaps it's just me and fern isn't my kind of author. The story line was good but perhaps written by somebody else would have been great. I didn't hate it though hence 3 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this latest offering from Fern. It is set in Cornwall which is one of my favourite places and I could imagine the quirky characters as I have met most of them on summer holidays spent there! I loved the character Tony and if I owned a cottage like the main character Helen, then I would want Tony to come and work in my garden! The love triangle was amusing and I was rooting for Helen to make the right choice. If you are going on holiday this summer then this would be a good book to take with you. Looking forward to the next book by Fern.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Kindle Edition)
Got this free as part of world book day promotion on kindle. Thank goodness I paid no money- very poorly & simplistically written, characters 2 dimensional and unrealistic. I like this sort of book usually, good to relax with, but will not be seeking out any more by her.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs a lot of editing, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Hidden Treasures (Kindle Edition)
‘Hidden Treasures’, which I downloaded on a special offer, free for my Kindle, starts with an intriguing prologue about an elderly lady. However most of the book is about a middle-aged woman called Helen who has just moved to a small village after leaving her philandering husband. She meets local folk and settles in, then her friend Penny comes for a visit...

There's a lot of potential for a pleasant light village-style book here, but unfortunately, it doesn’t work. After the first chapter, which I enjoyed, the writing meanders into irrelevant and tedious details of day-to-day life, a village talent night, and a long, drawn out description of a TV production which takes place in the village.

By the time I was half-way through the book I was almost ready to give up - except that I had been intrigued by the start, and I was rooting for the nice Vicar character, one of two people who felt real in the early stages of the book. I didn’t much like the outcome or the ending, but I did, at least, keep reading.

My overall feeling is that it's a great pity that this book was not thoroughly edited, as it could have been a great story. There are some interesting and memorable characters, and the hint in the prologue could have been so much more significant than it was.

But clichés abound, viewpoints switch almost at random, and the majority of the book is irrelevant and unnecessary. Cut to about half its length and with some significant editing of the remainder, it could have been so much better.

Not recommended. But at least I didn't pay for it.

Hidden Treasures