5.0 out of 5 stars the sugar girls
I really loved this book as I worked for Tate and Lyle for 45 years and grew up in the area set around this story. Its a must for any one who grew up in the east end in the 50's and 60's and it took me back to my early years in both Lyle's and Tate's refineries.
Published on 18 April 2012 by micky

3.0 out of 5 stars THE SUGAR GIRLS
This is set in the East End of London in the 1950's when young women some only fifteen years of age would go off to work at Tate and Lyle's sugar factory. An honest and factual look at the lives these women experienced, the personal hardships that they and their families endured, and the good times too. Though working in the factory was very hard they built up a great...
Published on 30 Mar 2012 by Amanda

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 19 April 2012
This review is from: The Sugar Girls (Paperback)
Once I started reading couldn't put it down. Great piece of history . Wanted to know more about these hard working girls. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars The sugar girls, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Sugar Girls: Tales of Hardship, Love and Happiness in Tate & Lyle's East End (Kindle Edition)
Could not put my kindle down. A wonderful well written story that contains all the ingredients of a very good read. So many books of a similar subject matter but Sugar Girls brings the East End characters to life throughout the war days, their working environment, hardships, love and describing their amazing sense of humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect nostalgia, 11 April 2012
This review is from: The Sugar Girls (Paperback)
This was a book I never wanted to end. So many books about life in the East End past are riddled with misery which can result in them being quite hard going and although these factory workers had their fair share of grief the pervading emotion is one of joy. The writing style is also bubbly and conversational which makes it a pleasure to read and leaves you feeling as though these ladies have been sharing their stories with you over a sherry in a cozy East End boozer.
A wonderful book to make you nostalgic for living in simpler times but with enough reality to also make you thankful you don't.

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT READ!, 5 April 2012
A GREAT READ! IT WAS OF PARTICULAR INTEREST TO ME AS MY MOTHER & FATHER MET THERE IN THE EARLY 50'S AND ALSO EARLIER GENERATIONS! PLUS I ALSO STILL WORK IN THE AREA! BUT YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE ANY CONNECTION AS THE STORIES ARE GOOD BY THEMSELVES. I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF A TV SERIES IS MADE!

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this, 1 April 2012
This review is from: The Sugar Girls (Paperback)
Fabulous piece of social history. It also highlights how working conditions and employment law have changed and improved since the war. The characters knew about hardship, but it was a way of life for them. They are resilient and have a deep sense of community. Particularly the main character, Ethel. At the end of the book I felt like I'd love to sit and have a cuppa and a chat with her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real-life insight into the lives of Tate & Lyle workers, 31 Aug 2013
Mrs. E. Parker (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I really had difficulty in putting this book down. It follows the lives of the girls at the 2 refineries in the East End. Very educational, entertaining, sometimes sad, but most of all a jolly good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 July 2013
This book was great and I have passed it on to my sister to read I love the frankness of it and seem so down to earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read of the The Sugar Girls, 15 July 2013
This review is from: The Sugar Girls (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book it brought back many memories. I lived at Abbey Wood 1959 to 1965 and went to school at Kidbrooke Comprehensive. While there on a Catering course we were taken to the Tate & Lyle factory at Silvertown. I think we also went to a biscuit factory....... I also went across the Woolwich ferry many times. So for me it was a good read about the way women in particular lived during that period. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Sugar Girls (Paperback)
I love social history books and this one is very well researched and written. I only ever have time to read on holiday and I bought this one to take away with me last month. Even though I was lying in the sun in another country, I was transported back to 40's and 50's London through the pages of this excellent book. The stories of the featured women are so interesting and it makes you feel that while we may have more today, their lives were richer. As the Daily Mail critic says on the cover review, it would make a great TV series to rival Call the Midwife. I have read both books and I would say this one is better!
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The sugar girls, 27 April 2013
I realy enjoyed this book it reminded me of what the factory i work for was like years ago,all about family.It was recommended to me by someone at work .

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›