Size: 7-8.5|Colour: Plum|Change

I have had two pairs of these socks since, erm, about 1996. I don't wear them all the time, just with certain boots, but even so, they have lasted well. I am glad they still make them. I bought a pair of the ladies version of these as a replacement, in a local shop, and didn't like most of the colours (baby blue and baby pink) so got them in purple, which wasn't so bad - only to find they weren't quite as good as my old ones. Then saw the mens version and realised this is what I had had before - identical - and a nice blue colour. So ordered the mens version in blue - perfect - and expect them to last a long time. They seem thicker and better quality than the Ladies version, with thicker ribbing instead of fussy stitching. And the 6 to 8.5 is better for my size 6 and a half feet, than the Ladies size of 5 to 6.

This ladies version is a bit too soft and less padding, and goes baggy I find. The mens has a bit more padding and a better fit due to the ribbing instead of the different stitch pattern on the ladies version. The plum colour is nicer than on the pic above - more purple and not so dark. But if you have size 6 to 8 feet I would go for the mens version in blue.
on 19 November 2012
I bought a pair of these socks in a sale, to wear in the summer, with coolmax liner socks underneath, because for many years now I have always worn 2 pairs of hiking socks to guard against blisters; however, the first time I wore them I left off the liners, and never went back to them, they are beautifully soft and cushioned, but cool for summer conditions. They are not tight round the calves like some socks, so very comfortable - the only slight problem is that due to the loose weave, they snag easily, but the effect is only cosmetic. I found them so good that I have bought another 2 pairs at full price.
Generally very impressed. Was looking for a lighter-weight, summer sock which also offered padding underfoot.

Cool, comfortable & padded, although certainly on the thin side (but that's not really a problem for summer walking, but it can leave one with a looser-than-normal boot. Worn with liner socks to sort out this aspect & still cooler than wearing a standard thick sock.

Would have been 5 stars, except for the fact they're not the easiest to wash (especially by hand) as the fibres came loose a bit too readily.

All-in-all though, would recommend.
on 28 July 2013
I recently completed a charity walk across Wales. I used these sock on a couple of days. They were comfortable but I found I developed hot spots on the balls of my feet which I didn't experience with the other brands of socks I used.
on 4 May 2016
Wonderful socks. I've had several pairs of Bridgedale socks over the years and still have the first two pairs I bought for a walking holiday in about 1995 & they are still going strong. As always these are excellent quality and very comfortable. I work as a gardener so I also wear these (or the winter version) for work socks under steel-capped boots and they are great for that as well as for walking. I don't think you can go wrong with a pair of Bridgedales. I am a size 7.5 and normally have to buy men's socks, but the Bridgedale women's size 7-8.5 (L) are a perfect fit. They are quite expensive but I think well worth the price.
on 31 August 2012
So comfortable that you won't want to take them off. They are really soft and even though the tops are not tight they stay in place without leaving a 'tide mark' round your ankles. I now own 3 pairs....and counting!
on 4 June 2013
Quite pleased with these - comfortable and washed well. Only complaint is they're really quite thick and hot, not really a light weight sock for summer walking. Would be good for winter.
on 24 October 2012
Good buy - walked parts of the Coast to Coast in these socks with no problems - liked them a lot!
on 27 September 2013
Bought 2 pairs of these socks for long walk in Spain (nearly 100miles over 1 week). Kept feet very comfortable in gortex lined boots and only got 1 blister on little toe! Highly recommend.
on 10 August 2013
I bought these for my wife who had been hanging on to her original thick socks too long. She loves them for the fit and comfort. The downside is I've had to buy some more!