4.0 out of 5 stars good introduction to game programming
HTML5 Games: Creating fun with HTML5,CS3 and WebGL

Overview
This is a great book on how to use HTML 5 and other tools to build online games. Although games orientated this book is of use to the wider programming environment as it teaches HTML 5 in an engaging way.

Who is it for ?
The book is obviously aimed at game programmers and does do a...
Published on 21 Jun 2012 by Mr. Richard The book boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not in the order you would expect
The book is well written and understandable. Maybe not for the total beginner, but absolutely fine if you have a bit of a computing background. My sole criticism of the book is the order that the code and chapters are laid out. The author is creating the code in a manner that I would never have done. Let me explain:

Every single block of code that you write in...
Published 7 months ago by Kostas

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, 19 July 2012
The Soft Machine Operator (COVENTRY, WARWICKSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not a book for anyone with no prior experience of web based development, such as Javascript, CSS and html. This is for people who are already well experienced in this field. After a brief introduction to HTML5, it launches you straight into the deep end with a discussion and examples on how to create a game framework.

This is all very detailed with some good descriptions of HTML5 (Such as Webstorage) and code examples. Later chapters illustrate how to adapt your game for mobile platforms (A must these days) before getting into very advanced topics such as WebSockets.

If you are looking to create a web-based game & are already an advanced developer then this is a very good book. It covers virtually all aspects such as local/remote storage of data and how to use sprites in javascript.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding the modern web, 28 Jun 2012
Hugo Minney "hugie" (Durham, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a professional web programmer, I'm more of an amateur. I've written sites in PHP/ MySQL (which is still the most usual environment) and now I use Drupal for my web sites and Javascript on pages. But then this book isn't a guide for games programmers, it's a guide for people who already know how to write games, who want to be one step ahead when HTML5 becomes widespread.
It's brilliant! It explains HTML5 in ways that I can understand. WHY, for example, would I want to understand HTML5 and to use some of the flexibility it gives. I didn't programme games, but I recognise that some of the things games programmers do, become part of the user experience in serious web sites within a year or two. I can now programme a simple game, I know how to incorporate features into my business and charity web sites to make them far more interactive and engaging to my audience, and I know what could go wrong and I can include the tests to make sure it doesn't (too often).
I'd certainly recommend this as an easy read introduction. I'd also recommend it to someone serious, who is going to plod through doing every step of every exercise and end up really quite expert. It's good!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very handy guide to HTML games, 21 Jun 2012
Russell G. Pottinger (Dundee) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is a book with a single aim, to create a specific game in HTML5, and it leads you step by step from the simple beginning, right the way through to the finished product that would be good enough to show to other people :)

This book does require some previous knowledge in HTML but I found it a good guide and didn't find it to difficult. With it being just the one project I was able to follow most of it, and when I struggled I just nipped back a couple of pages to see what obvious thing I had missed (or quickly looked on the internet).

It is a quite enjoyable introduction into HTML gaming, and when you finish this you should be able to put down some of your ideas into a game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to a simple HTML5 game, 21 Jun 2012
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book basically takes you through the journey of building a Bejewelled style game in HTML5. It presumes a knowledge of HTML and isn't a beginners guide to HTML itself. Covering all basic elements like presentation and audio as well as the WebGL behind it the book takes readers through step by step.

The book is useful for beginner and experienced HTML5 programmers. With code samples available for download it makes sense to check them out as an aid to learning like I did.

It's well written (with just a few annoying typos) too. Easy to follow and a good entry point to pursuing HTML5 as more than a markup only language. Recommended if you're into more of the development side of things otherwise, if you're looking to just build sites it's not required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for understanding HTML5 game programming, 19 Jun 2012
H. Eaton "Helena Eaton" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is by no means a book for beginners as it assumes a reasonable understanding of Javascript, HTML and CSS.

If you are looking for a good resource which will help guide you through some well constructed tutorials this is an excellent book. Code examples are accurate and the only errors you should get are from user error.

The games are nothing exciting but it gives you a decent understanding of HTML game programming.

Jacob Seidelin has done an excellent job and I will look out for future publications.

4.0 out of 5 stars Make Your Own Bejewelled-Type Game, 10 Jun 2012
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're keen to develop your own version of the popular "bejewelled" game, then this is probably a good place to start. The text is broken down into easily digestible blocks and the required coding is laid out for you to copy at your leisure. The result is a fair copy, but as is often the case, the guidance offered doesn't entirely give a complete understanding to allow all users the freedom to run off and start concocting other games they might have in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stuff - now I need to learn how to type it all in!, 7 May 2012
M. J. Jacobs "michael jacobs" (Edgware, London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Actually, the author has made all of the scripts you will need available so you can download them, and learn how they work by reading the book. I look forward to being able to create my first game, which will be a variant on what's in the book - a sort of Jewel Quest game, similar to existing games, but customisable at your leisure.

The book is well presented - although I wish it was easier to keep it lying flat whilst I try to type in the program listings. I expect I will get a lot more out of this game, and the book, once I have upgraded from my now-ancient LG Viewty phone to one which can do the Jewel Quest game justice.

Anyway, the text is well written, and I have been able to follow it, despite my last project being in HTML 4. I would have been happier if the text had been just a little larger, and blacker - I needed my reading glasses to follow it. But that's my problem - I think that most people in the (younger) target audience for this book will not have the same problems that I have had.

I haven't dabbled with a new programming language straight out of a book for many years, so I am looking forward to gettng to the last listing and then seeing how it works on whatever new phone I get in the imminent upgrade!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short cut to a 50k job!, 2 May 2012
CMB (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the hottest thing in web development right now. Get this book, spend a couple of weeks thoroughly digesting it (including node.js and websockets in chapter 13) and you'll be in a very good stand for interviews.

The reason for this is simple: Apple. As Apple has dropped Flash (and other browser plugins such as Silverlight and Java of course), there's a shortage of skills for the upcoming replacement, HTML5 + CSS3, in particular for real-time access to servers - games, especially grown-up games, i.e. gambling with financial products. It's also highly relevant to media and advertising in the very near future. Although only one game is given in this book (similar to bejeweled) the skills are transferable to money-making games. In the real world, that means spread-betting and CFDs. The game aspect of these are straight-forward, the value is in the real-time nature of the actions (buys and sells, basically, with live updating prices).

There are a few typos, it's best to download the code samples. That's a shame, as I get a lot of value out of typing in the examples. Do that, and if you have trouble, compare with the downloaded examples.

The book briefly covers the background and limitations of HTML5/CSS3. It relies on WebGL - that's ideal for games, but you should also get some familiarity with SVG and to know when to use each. Once you've got a handle on this, build on it with a good jQuery book.

These skills will be standard fare in a few years, but now's the right time to get in, and this book makes it fun and as painless as possible (almost - it would be if the typos had been caught).