HTML5 Games: Creating fun with HTML5,CS3 and WebGL

Overview
This is a great book on how to use HTML 5 and other tools to build online games. Although games orientated this book is of use to the wider programming environment as it teaches HTML 5 in an engaging way.

Who is it for ?
The book is obviously aimed at game programmers and does do a great job in showing how the latest web tools can be used in very creative ways. The book is pitched at a reasonable level so any one can pick it up and get the gist of HTML 5 and associated programming techniques. I would not say it's an absolute beginners guide but used alongside a basic introduction to HTML 5 it becomes easy to follow. The listings can be downloaded from the authors website to save typing in raw HTML and code.

Content
The examples show each feature of HTML etc. very well but are quite limited in their scope. However, it does show in short amounts of code what's possible and it is easy to develop the basic building blocks introduced in the book, experimentation is what it is all about with programming having done it for 30 years - that's how you learn and that is what this book encourages. The function of each part of the listings and how they can be used have been explained and documented well so you could use this as a dip in reference as well. A good book for programming students especially those on gaming development courses.

Overall
A well written introduction to HTML 5 and the latest programming tools with a bias towards gaming, which is no bad thing. The writing style is informative and the code printed in the book works to show what can be achieved. Overall a great book for programming students and as a help yourself manual on gaming techniques and modern programming methods. It will leave you wanting more but that means it's done its job well. Recommended!
on 11 February 2012
This book is very useful for both beginners and experienced programmers that want to get into the new web technologies.
I have quite some experience with web and some of the parts I went through very quickly but others were very helpful in explaining how HTML5 or CSS3 features actually work. Most of the times, the book also covers polyfills (workarounds) for older browsers. The book takes a specific game idea (bejeweled clone) and goes through all the steps, from the splash screen to 3D webgl or audio, to create a complete game.
I have read it and created the example in 4 days and I have learned quite a lot. There are though some typos in the code examples in the book, a couple of which made me waste some time debugging. You might want to use the code in the example files, downloadable from the publisher site. On the other side, the debugging time plus the fact that I wanted to use jquery, instead of dom and other libraries in the book, helped me understand the code better.
All in all a useful and easy to read book.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book basically takes you through the journey of building a Bejewelled style game in HTML5. It presumes a knowledge of HTML and isn't a beginners guide to HTML itself. Covering all basic elements like presentation and audio as well as the WebGL behind it the book takes readers through step by step.

The book is useful for beginner and experienced HTML5 programmers. With code samples available for download it makes sense to check them out as an aid to learning like I did.

It's well written (with just a few annoying typos) too. Easy to follow and a good entry point to pursuing HTML5 as more than a markup only language. Recommended if you're into more of the development side of things otherwise, if you're looking to just build sites it's not required.
VINE VOICEon 19 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is by no means a book for beginners as it assumes a reasonable understanding of Javascript, HTML and CSS.

If you are looking for a good resource which will help guide you through some well constructed tutorials this is an excellent book. Code examples are accurate and the only errors you should get are from user error.

The games are nothing exciting but it gives you a decent understanding of HTML game programming.

Jacob Seidelin has done an excellent job and I will look out for future publications.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As the name suggests, this book isn't for someone looking to learn the latest HTML5 for web site building. It assumes a basic understanding of use of HTML and shows you how useful it can be and that it isn't just limited to web sites.

The code builds up in bite size chunks and each piece has a good description. I have been using the book as a reference and not going through each chapter. If you attack the book in the same way you may find that you don't quite follow the logic. I have to admit that I struggle in a few places to really grasp what is going on, but that is no reflection on the book. I never bought it with the intention of reading through it, but to take snippets of code from within and reference.

I have to say that if I was going to spend time writing a game, I wouldn't really consider HTML as the code to do it in. But I think the book is more a showcase as to the flexibility and scope of HTML5 than to write the latest block busting game. If you have the time, patience and desire to write HTML games or are looking for something that integrates well with an existing site then you won't be disappointed with this book. It is well written and well laid out and for less than 20GBP is a fair price for a reference book.
on 16 September 2014
I clear language when explaining concepts. It shows you how to use HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript features usefully to make your games.
It explains how to set up your games in a way that it will work properly in most browsers, using a practical example to do this.
on 1 July 2013
The book covers a lot of useful HTML game concepts. Some of it felt in the wrong order, particularly the chapter on mobile compatibility. Nonetheless, I found it a thoroughly good starting point for web based game development.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been web-building since the very early HTML versions back in the early 90s when image tags and forms were the new big thing! I feel I've managed to keep up with the main technologies such as DHTML, the DOM, CSS, AJAX etc to varying degrees.

HTML5, though, seems to have arrived without me really noticing and though I have no real interest in writing web-based HTML games I thought this book might give me a bit of an insight into what's possible with HTML5.

I wasn't wrong.

Gaming has always been a driving force across the board for computers. Graphics processors and displays, CPUs and code optimisation have always been pushed to their limts by the latest games, so what better place to look for how a new web language can be stretched to make fancy stuff happen.

I haven't read the book as a tutorial - as a step by step guide to writing a 'Bejewelled'-style game from what I've gathered so far - rather I've flicked backwards and forwards looking at the different aspects of HTML5 (and in some cases related technologies) and what they can do.

It has certainly provided inspiration and has sown the seeds of ideas for completely unrelated online projects in my mind. HTML5 makes so much more possible than has been available in previous versions.

It must be pointed out, though, that this is not a beginners guide in any way. You'll need to have some HTML experience to understand what is being talked about and to work through any of the steps described you're going to need a dev platform with an HTTP server running on it (a lot of the code will not work when loaded as a local file - it needs to be served properly).

If the above sounds like a foreign language then this is not the book for you - but if you are interested in HTML game coding or, like me, want to get a peek at what HTML5 is capable of then this is definitely worth considering.
on 22 January 2014
Just what we needed to get on with university project. Easy to read and assimilate. Up to date and well produced.
on 14 March 2012
I thought this would have more game examples but simply concentrated on one type of game, and was not the type of game learning I was after. The book was great in the respect that it taught me a few more JS methods and approaches.