5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!
Published 23 months ago by CD32

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but watch out for mould developing.
Published on 14 Mar 2012 by gw673

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but watch out for mould developing., 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Clevamama Full Length Bath Mat with Kneeling Cushion (Blue) (Baby Product)
I bought this bath mat for my 6 month old baby who has just started sitting so he's not very keen on the bath seat that he used to recline in any more but kept slipping and sliding about in the bath. This mat helps him stay stable while sitting up in the bath so that he can play with toys. It has loads of little suckers which keep it stuck to the bath and the actual material is a sort of foam so it is cushioning and looks comfortable. We have a small bath and it more than covers the whole length so I imagine it would cover most of a full length bath. The kneeling cushion is comfortable too.

Overall this bath mat is very helpful when bathing a wiggling baby but I think it is relatively expensive and not the most exciting of bath mats available.

UPDATE - unfortunately after 6 weeks the mat has become quite mouldy around the suckers. I've tried putting it in the washing machine but the mould isn't budging! Not so nice any more!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a wise buy, 25 Dec 2012
Before I bought this item, I read a review that said that this mat grows mildew quickly. I thought perhaps if I hung it up to dry after each use it would last. I was very disappointed when I had to throw the mat away within 2 months, despite hanging to to dry, putting into the washing machine, and spraying it with a cleaning solution. Nothing made the mildew go. So, the mat had to. I bought a normal bath mat for 4.00 and its lasted longer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Goes mouldy, 14 Aug 2012
Initially we were delighted with this item but it quickly goes mouldy, especially in the gap between the suckers and the mat which is impossible to clean. Also suckers need pressing down about 3 times each (and there are quite a few!) to make them stick. We are having to buy a replacement mat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 1 Aug 2012
I bought this mat for my 8 month old son when he was transfering from the bath seat to just sitting in the bath. I think it is absolutely BRILLIANT!!! We push the suckers down as soon as there is a little water in the bath and that means that it stays stuck. It is a good lenght and covers most of the bath length. We remove it from the bottom of the bath and just stick it to the tiles on the wall every night to let it dry out and have so far had no problems with mould.

Six months on we are still very happy with it. It is still mould free and has never come loose or caused my son to slip. My only slight grumble and it is very very very slight is that you can see where the suckers are due to a light brownish discolouration but it is not mould and does not affect its performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bath mat!, 18 Feb 2012
This bath mat has made the transition from baby bath to big bath very seamless. My daughter loves crawling about in the bath which makes bath time potentially quite scary for me! However this bath mat means she hasn't slipped once and it is made of very comfortable, cushioned material. The kneeling mat is certainly saving my knees! The suckers are very strong so the mat sticks well to the bath and the length is great too, covering nearly the whole bath. We only just moved my daughter into the big bath and don't think I would have used this before now (she is 8 months) as unless you bought a support you'd have to hold the baby at all times. A great purchase!

Update: I have just thrown the mat out (my daughter is now 17 months) as there was mould ingrained in it. I'd tried machine washing it a couple of times) I just bought a cheap bath mat from Tesco - it doesn't cover the whole bath but my daughter doesn't crawl around as much now. I think this bath mat is good for the transition to the big bath for peace of mind as it covers the whole bath but don't expect it to last.

2.0 out of 5 stars mould problem, 26 Jan 2014
I agree with other reviews re the mould. Despite hanging it out of the bath, soaking it in Milton and washing it in a washing machine, it has mould all over the suckers and stinks! Need to throw it out as the whole bathroom smells and I've noticed bits of black mould floating in my baby's bath water!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ppplllffffppp, 3 May 2014
Quite expensive really for something that wrinkles up and isn't actually that sticky. I don't know how many times I've had to re-stick the suckers while running a bath.

1.0 out of 5 stars 0 starts DONT BUY, 2 Feb 2014
DONT BUY... not worth a penny molds over soo fast and my bathroom hardly has any mold at all. wouldn't recommend it at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable, mouldy, impossible to clean, 9 May 2013
Is this bath mat long - yes. Is the kneeling cushion handy - yes, until a child wees on it while being carried into the bath and then it is impossible to clean. That is where the positives stop. This bath mat is extremely uncomfortable, both for my kids to sit on and for me to lean on with one hand while I am washing them. It leaves me with a sore red mark for about 5 minutes after leaning. It doesn't mark the kids badly but my 5 yr old complains about it. I honestly don't know why they couldn't just take a normal bath mat and make it longer instead of inventing a new texture which is actually more slippy than a normal bath mat.

Also, it develops mould like no other bath mat I have ever owned - I have been religious about rinsing it out and hanging it up to dry over the shower rail pole so that all surfaces dry fully - i.e. not just sticking it to the tiles on the wall. On a handful of occasions over the last 6 months (perhaps 5 times?) I have not hung it up immediately but instead left it a maximum of an hour between emptying the bath water and hanging it up. Each time I have done this, it has developed significant black patches. Now I'm not too fussy about a little bit of mould - my kids are sitting on it, not eating it - but the growth has recently become very unsightly and isn't just restricted to the suckers at the bottom - it permeates the whole mat so it looks just as bad on the top.

Lastly, when my 11 month old decided to take a poo in the bath the other day, (oh the joys of having kids!) I could not clean it - the poo stuck like glue as a result of the foamy material it is made out of and all the tiny little holes in the waffle like texture, so I had to throw it out.

Handy Hint for anyone considering buying this simply because it is the only extra long bath mat you can find for your kids - there are far more extra long bath mats aimed at the older generation than there are at kids! To replace mine, I have just bouught an extra long bath mat from a mobility aid shop. Admittedly this cost me an extra 4 pounds but I don't see an alternative when you need to bathe more than one child at a time.

Hope this helps!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slippery in bath!, 28 Oct 2012
Initially it looked like a great buy, as it is comfortable. However in my opinion, it's not fit for purpose on some baths. We bought it to replace a Mothercare one that has gone mouldy after a couple of years of use.

Basically it appears to grip well, but as noted as some in reviews, it can give without any warning. It will feel very stable, and then when standing, it will give, and slip. After just three baths, we gave up and have binned it. It's not worth the risk, and given the cost, it wasn't worth the hassle to return.

Given some reviews mention the lack of grip, and others don't have any problems - it may be due to different baths. We have an enamel bath, and that may be the problem. Enamel baths aren't perfectly flat so may give some but not great adhesion. I can imagine that it would be perfectly fine on a plastic bath, as I can see how it would grip well on that surface. Note the Mothercare never had any problems with grip. Also, we've replaced it with an Ikea one, which is nowhere near as comfortable (it's basically a flat rubber sheet with suckers) but grips perfectly.

On the plus side - the knee cushion is very comfortable, and either the kids use it as a floating tray for their bath toys, or we can use it like a bath pillow. Hence the 2 stars, otherwise it would be 1 star only.