on 21 December 2011
Murray Gold has once again delivered the goods for this highly anticipated soundtrack to Series 6 of Doctor Who. In the same way that Moffat split viewers into those who loved the more complex story arc, and those who thought it was too complicated. I personally liked the more complex story arc because it shows Moffat respects the intelligence of the audience (both adults and kids alike). In the same way, Murray Gold's music also appears to split opinion. Some people think the show is overscored and the music is overpowering at times, whilst people like me (and I am assuming yourself as you are viewing this page) think that the music is phenomenal.

The two CDs comprise of the best music from all the episodes of the Series 6 run. I won't go into a track by track analysis because of the sheer number of tracks present. However, if you are after the best action tracks of the Doctor, and some of the slower themes which represent River Song and her pivotal scenes, these are all present on the album.

I feel I should make special mention for the finale track "The Majestic Tale (Of A Madman In A Box)". This is the finest piece of music in the series in my opinion (this is the music that plays over the Doctor and River's battle with The Silence in Day of the Moon, the second episode of the two part opener of the series in the USA). On album, this track is slightly disappointing - the album builds with the new main theme of the Doctor (carried over from Series 5). Towards the end, the choir really builds and it sounds amazing, but the track is cut too short in my opinion. The epic portion of the track starts to fade out too quickly for my liking and brings the second disk to a close on a slightly disappointing note, although fortunately it does reach epic heights before the track fades out completely. The rest of the tracks are in chronological order, with 2-4 per episode being the most common. This album does have a slightly more sombre feel than Series 5, but this I feel reflects the slightly darker tone of Series 6.

From a production perspective, the mix feels very crisp, and the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and choir have done a great job with their performances. Please note that this is a 2CD release, and whilst this is generous in terms of score releases, there will be a lot of music missing given the amount of music composed for each episode. I thought the track selection was generally excellent. Other reviewers have also commented on an over reliance of the Doctor's Theme from the last series. Whilst this is true, I would like to make a couple of counter points. Firstly, not everyone who buys this score may be familiar with the series 5 score (and the main Doctor's Theme) - thus there is a need for this to be present on the album. Secondly, there are a lot of variations of the Doctor's Theme across the two CDs and I didn't find it overly bothersome. A final point is that this release is currently being sold for 8.99 (at the time of 21/12/11). Given that this is 2CDs worth of music, this is great value for money and I think we should embrace the release, rather than pick apart aspects that are not perfect.

Overall, this is a fantastic release. It's important to remember that with a soundtrack that encompasses an entire series, you won't be able to keep everyone happy. I know a previous review commented on a missing track that they would have liked, and there were a couple of tracks that I would have edited differently particularly "The Majestic Tale (Of A Madman in a Box). However, given that 2CD releases are rare (I know the music for the last series also received the 2CD treatment), this is the best we could hope for in terms of an official release. I feel that Silva Screen (the company responsible for producing and distributing the album) should given credit for this, and shows their dedication for fans of the Doctor Who scores. So please enjoy - sure, this won't keep everyone happy. But if you enjoy this for what it is, which is essentially the best orchestral highlights across the series, on a very generous 2CD release, don't hesitate to buy this. Murray Gold continues to compose outstanding music for the Doctor Who series, and I hope he does so in the future. If you liked the music in this current series, you cannot go wrong in buying this score.
on 24 June 2012
Good...but not great.
This is the first Doctor Who soundtrack I'd give anything less than the full five star rating, and I guess if this was a stand-alone film soundtrack it would acquit itself. But instead, it's the latest in a long line of soundtracks that have been filled with sheer brilliance, and this one doesn't quite live up to the standards.

So there are some great tracks, as usual; pretty much anything involving River, along with heart-wrenching pieces such as 'Loving Isn't Knowing' and the adrenaline-laced 'The Curse of the Black Spot'. I particularly liked a few of the lighter pieces, such as 'Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All', amongst others. Murray Gold has certainly lived up to his usual standard of creating music perfect for any given situation.

Probably the most annoying thing is the multitude of tiny, 45 second-tracks scattered throughout that offer pretty much nothing in terms of listening value, but the real problem stems from the simple lack of tracks you'd want to sit down and listen to. Sure, scratchy violins and perpetually looped crescendos work great in an episode ('The God Complex' has a sizable collection of creepy, warbly tracks that are all exactly the same thing), but what set previous Doctor Who soundtracks apart were the pieces of music that were so packed full of melody and emotion that you were transported into the episode just by listening (series four's 'The Greatest Story Never Told' is a perfect example- oh hey, a track involving River!). Even 'The Wedding of River Song', easily the best piece on the soundtrack, still doesn't quite hit the soaring heights of its predecessors.

That said, there's still three stars worth of good stuff here, and you definitely get your money's worth of Murray Gold orchestral-goodness. I just felt that there was a much rockier transition this time from show to soundtrack.
on 1 January 2012

From a production perspective, the mix feels very crisp, and the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and choir have done a great job with their performances. Please note that this is a 2CD release, and whilst this is generous in terms of score releases, there will be a lot of music missing given the amount of music composed for each episode. I thought the track selection was generally excellent. Other reviewers have also commented on an over reliance of the Doctor's Theme from the last series. Whilst this is true, I would like to make a few counter points. Firstly, not everyone who buys this score may be familiar with the series 5 score (and the main Doctor's Theme) - thus there is a need for this to be present on the album. Secondly, there are a lot of variations of the Doctor's Theme across the two CDs and I didn't find it overly bothersome. A separate point is that the CD release is currently being sold for 8.99 here Doctor Who: Series 6, and this MP3 version is currently 11.98 (at the time of 1/1/12). Given that CD quality is better, I would recommend buying it in that format instead unless you have a burning desire to download it.

on 3 January 2012
I bought this soundtrack as a present for a die-hard Dr Who fan. I thought it was niche enough that he wouldn't have it yet. With the greatest respect to the fans, frankly I thought it was barking madness but good for a laugh at Christmas. The recipient was a bit baffled and it was an entertaining talking point.

What surprised me was how well it worked as atmospheric background music *for me*, someone who has barely ever seen the show since the 1980s. Gold has done a fine job and produced highly palatable mood music, with or without the DW connection. Would I buy this for myself? Probably not, if I'm honest. But it is miles better than I'd expected purely as music, and makes for a nice present for a fan.
on 1 April 2012
I really enjoyed this album. Murray Gold just gets better and better each time and his music is perfect for this series of timey wimey proportions.
If I had to pick ten of the best tracks here, it would probably be:
1.) The Majestic Tale (Of a Madman in a Box)
2.) 5:02PM
7.) Tell Me Who You Are
8.) All for One
9.) Locked On
10.) Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All

Buy if you love Doctor Who and definitely buy if you love Doctor Who and Murray Gold's music!
on 7 June 2013
I could enthuse all day about the wonderful Murray Gold music. Great CD and a must have, to a great series. Mr Gold is a magician to go with the Doctor !
on 19 December 2011
With every series, a new height of achievement is reached by Mister Murray Gold and his melodies of gold. Every single track is aptly selected and positioned to create a soundtrack fit for an equally enthralling series. From the genesis of The Doctor's death story arc in 'The Impossible Astronaut', to the bombastic climax of 'The Wedding of River Song', Gold's line up never fails to disappoint and sets this soundtrack up as not only the best he has yet to produce for Doctor Who, but perhaps some of the most memorable compositions in his career. 100% brilliant.
on 5 January 2012
Yet again, another brilliant Doctor who soundtracks, with essential listening such as I am the Doctor, Melody Pond, A Very Unusual Melody, 5:02PM and The Majestic Tale (Although, I haven't listened to the Tick Tock (Vocal Track) Yet, because those Dolls give me the creeps).

My only criticisms are the fact that there doesn't seem to be any of the music where they burn the Doctor in the boat. Part of it comes in the end of Melody Pond, but not the full version. The Majestic tale is also such a good track, it's amazing, possibly THE best track on there, but it is not a full version! It fades out! Please Murray Gold, at least uplod it onto your youtube (oh, yeah, he's got youtube now - TerrifiedDuck)! And the casing. As soon as I opened it, the casing broke, has anyone else had this problem?

Overall, a good buy, even if you are not a Whovian, this music is amazing! Just don't listen to the creepy "Tick Tock, Goes the Clock..." doll solo at night, what ever you do.
A little bit like the TV series itself, Murray Gold's score for series 6 continues in much the same vain as the excellent series 5- all the same ingredients, many of the same themes, in many ways showing a darker, more sinister, more grown-up world post-Russell T Davies. But, like the TV show, series 6 didn't necessarily push the boat out or add anything really new to series 5, and neither does the music.

Don't get me wrong, series 5 was utterly brilliant and a repeat performance is no bad thing, but it's a shame that Murray Gold only tries a handful of new ideas out here- such as his American-twisted themes for "Impossible Astronaut", and the incredibly spooky nursery rhyme melodies in "Night Terrors".

So it's another excellent soundtrack album when compared to the soundtrack for any other show on TV, but it's not as good as some of the previous series music.
on 10 May 2013
Such great atmospheric music from a very talented composer. Some of the best tracks for are 'Forgiven' and 'Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart'