4.0 out of 5 stars Nice chest...
Had this item 3 Plus 4 Wide-Drawer Chest in my wishlist for a few weeks as I couldn't find a reasonably priced chest of drawers with similar dimensions anywhere online. Noticed the price had dropped recently so I bought it and it was delivered promptly by a reputable courier a few days later.

Item comes flat-packed and there are a LOT of individual bits. Once...
Published on 25 April 2012 by J. Baud

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid
Published 6 months ago by Michelle

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice chest..., 25 April 2012
J. Baud (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)

Item comes flat-packed and there are a LOT of individual bits. Once I'd sorted through all the pieces and fixings (this takes 15 minutes) and tried to understand the manual, I set to work building it. The instructions indicate it should take one person 2 hours to finish it from scratch. Now I'm no dummy but if you're able to do it in that time you're a better man than me, it's impossible without a degree in physics and DIY and a massive dose of patience.

I finally managed to finish the build process after some 5/6 hours, a true sense of achievement especially as I had no bits left over from the kit, always a relief...

It's a decent, good looking product and certainly appears more expensive than it actually is and has a very contemporary style. My only issue is that I found the drawer space is quite small so it doesn't hold that many clothes but aside from that it's a lovely piece of kit.

Almost 5/5 but not quite!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
This chest is beautiful, as you can see. I ordered two for my children. The problem was that it was a flat pack that did not have all the pieces - neither of the boxes did. So I contacted Amazon who initially told me that I had to return it myself and they would refund a cost of about £3.50 - but this is a heavy item, that I cannot lift myself, so postage is a lot more than that. I arranged a phone call with Amazon who was extremely helpful in getting the item removed and new ones to replace them.

Then, neither of the two replacement items had all the pieces either! So basically my handyman had to jury rig them to get them up because they just don't have all the pieces in the boxes.

The chest is lovely, but the extra cost in getting my handyman out twice for it still to be wrong - I would say avoid avoid avoid.

Amazon - you normally do much better than this, whilst your customer service was wonderful, the standard of the item is severely sub par.

4.0 out of 5 stars Building it is a nightmare...though results are quite good, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
First off the courier dropped the box as he got it out of the van (smashing the packaging and wood inside)...so it went straight back! All credit to Amazon their support was impecable and a replacement was arranged with no fuss at all.

The replacement was again messed about with by the courier who taped the packaging back together before delivering it. When I saw it I was sure it was another ruined box of firewood. Fortunately all the bits were fine and I set aside 4 hours to build this.

Now I have built alot of flat packed items in the past (and I mean dozens of bits). But nothing was to prepare me for this marathon!
3 hours into the build I realised it was going to be a long job...the instructions were very sketchy and getting the right orientation of the panels was a tricky job (hence the long time taken).

One page shows all the planks for the carcass - the next page shows it all fixed together. Not alot to go on believe me...but I persevered!

9 hours in and I was on the home straight and absolutely shattered!

After 10 hours I had completed it and to be honest it does look quite good and feels very solid. The drawers are on metal runners and everything is chunky enough to withstand daily family life so overall I am pleased.

Be warned...the instructions are very sparse and be prepared for a long build time. I wouldnt recommend it for a first time flat pack build....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic set of drawers, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
Well I read the reviews about this and it said good quality and it certainly is. BUT my partner put it together and I read that it took a guy 6 hours. Well my guy took 6 days!!!!!!! But well worth it in the end. He's obviously not as clever as the other one ha ha!!! I absolutely love this item, waxed it and it looks amazing

1.0 out of 5 stars Missing parts when opened. Emailed company about the missing ..., 2 July 2014
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
Missing parts when opened. Emailed company about the missing parts they did not respond to my email. So, I am stuck with a drawer which is uncompleted and not fit for its purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these..., 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
These are arrived well on time and well packed... Did have a piece missing but spoke to customer service and they were fantastic dealing with it... Had to pop to the DIY store got a new piece and now it has made it's place in my studio flat and I love it... Took a friend 5 hours ish to put together which was great and he was happy as he had a home cooked meal at the end of it... Love these drawers...

5.0 out of 5 stars check and check again, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
a lovely unit takes a few hours to put together please please please check all the components are there i.e. panels screws runners etc. a real nice unit ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking piece of furniture, 25 Feb 2014
Mr. J. Evans (Devon, S.W. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
Bought one and liked it so much that we bought another. Self assembly and not for the novice or faint hearted but everything went together well though it takes a long time. Good quality. There's no finish to the wood other than stain and it looked a lot better and had a better finfish after i waxed it (hard work). Excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually surprisingly good for the price, 13 Feb 2014
Mark Wilkinson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
Amazon isn't the first place I'd think of when buying furniture, but I ordered this because it was just the right size for our loft room. Other reviewers have mentioned issues with delivery damage, and I can understand why: it comes flat-packed in a single box that's very heavy and doesn't have much to hold on to, so it's hardly surprising that a single delivery driver might drop the package. Fortunately ours was delivered with only a few scuffs to the cardboard, but I opened the box and carried the parts up to the loft separately - there's no way I could lift it and carry it upstairs.

It does take some time to put together, but if you've managed to build stuff from Ikea you shouldn't have too much trouble with this. You do need to study the diagrams in a couple of places to work out which way round things need to go, but other than that it's not too challenging.

One good tip from my Dad was to run a bead of wood glue around the groove that the drawer bases slot into when you're assembling the drawers. The drawer bases are actually quite thin, unlike the rest of the pieces the chest is built from, so gluing the bases stops them rattling around and makes it all feel more solid. I'm glad I took the little extra time to do this.

Once built it's a nice solid piece of furniture that looks pretty good. The gaps around the drawer fronts are a little larger than you might get from more professionally built furniture, but I can live with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars chest, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers (Kitchen & Home)
product is heavier than I imagined so after getting to the room to assemble i got to work.
Took 5 hours from start to finish, not sure if thats the norm.
excellent product and well made

Steens 3+4 Wide Pine Chest of Drawers