Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£2.97

I couldn't believe this when I heard it first. I love Leona Lewis's voice, but she's getting some really bad advice at the moment. First that awful single Collide and now taking a classic Johnny Cash song (I know that itself was a cover, but it's the definitive version for me) and singing it as a pop song, which is a totally inappropriate choice. The song has explicit references to drug addition, which Cash's version turned into the medical dependency of old age, and it's impossible to reconcile Leona's voice with either of those things. I'm not against artists covering songs, and despite loving Run by Snow Patrol, it was an inspired choice for Leona to sing, and I love both versions. But this is just terrible, and that's two songs in a row I haven't bought. Can't say I'm enthralled by the other tracks on this EP either.

Leona's got the voice for some great songwriters to play up to, but she's being incompetently managed and needs to ditch Syco music now and get with a producer who doesn't just make his artists record music that he alone wants to listen to.