5.0 out of 5 stars Economical seed mix the birds enjoy
Published on 20 Dec. 2012 by JRF

3.0 out of 5 stars General bird seed mix
This is a variety of seeds but a lot of them seem to be corn which my small visitors do not like and which attracts the larger birds such as pigeons which quite frankly are a nuisance. Do not think I will buy again but is proabably more than adequate if you live in a different area and enjoy the larger birds in your garden.
Published on 3 Mar. 2013 by Tilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Economical seed mix the birds enjoy, 20 Dec. 2012
JRF - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
This is an ideal way to feed the wild birds that visit your garden. The pack is large enough to be economical, without being unmanageable. More importantly, the mixture of seeds will cater for various tastes: at any rate, the small birds in my garden have a great appetite for it, digging away enthusiastically to get the particular type of seed they want. I use the mix in conjunction with Gardman Heavy Duty Seed Feeder.

In short, this mix is a one-stop solution for your bird seed needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality seed., 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
This is to be recommended. It contains no inedible "filler" so, unlike some other brands, the birds eat every scrap of this.

3.0 out of 5 stars General bird seed mix, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)

2.0 out of 5 stars 70% Waste but probably about the norm! Read my experiment, 1 April 2014
M. Pearson (Salford & Clashnessie) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
I have carried out a fairly serious trial of this bird food because I was astounded by the amount of waste generated by relatively expensive mixes and wanted to have an accurate comparison.
I wanted to be able to actually quantify the problem and have some data to back up my gut feeling that we might have been wasting our money.

The Set-up:-
We have a small suburban garden In Manchester, over the years we have noted an impressive 42 different species visiting or directly overhead, of which 26 have fed in the garden.

Because we are plagued by a large flock of feral pigeons, which devour everything, our main bird feeders hang inside a pigeon proof (and squirrel proof) construction (nicknamed 'the hutch') based on a traditional bird table but encased in sections of 50mm square wire fencing.

This allows the entry of everything up-to and including Starlings
and we have noted 15 species feeding inside including all the usual suspects but also Nuthatches, Long tailed tits and although I don't know what they find there our inquisitive Wrens.

Inside the hutch the food seed mix is dispensed from one or more 'peanut style' wire hangers, much falls through and collects on the table area allowing the ground feeders to rummage through.
When this builds up we normally scoop it up and scatter it on the patio or the nearby pavement ( this sadly attracts the pigeons more than anything else, and is the real stimulus for this experiment.

The Test:-
For the test I poured the entire 4kg bag of Armitage Wild Bird Seed Mix into a plastic bucket and thoroughly mixed in a 500g bag of RSPCA Wild Bird Suet Nibbles (the yellow ones) and 25g of dried meal-worms.

Beginning on the morning of the 16/03/2014
Having completely cleaned out 'the hutch' the following regimen was adopted:-
Each day any seed remaining in the hanger (usually very little) was scattered on the table area and the hanger was filled with fresh mix from the bucket. A further cupful of the 'fresh mix' sprinkled on the table.

Every second day any food remaining on the table was deemed "Rejected by the Birds" and collected and stored in second bucket.

The food in the 'fresh mix ran out on the 30th of march and the final clear out of rejected feed was made on the 31st of March.

Inspection of the reject feed showed (unsurprisingly) no suet nibbles and no meal worms,

The result:-

The total weight of the mix rejected by my mix of regular feeders was 2,758 grams
Which represents 68.95% of the original 4kg bag !!!

This means that effectively 70% of this food is waste!! It would have in the past gone to attract the pigeons.

Comments:-
I am not directing criticism specifically at this company's product.
My subjective observations were that the birds actually were attracted to this mix in normal numbers and for normal durations, (if anything I think the feed may have out performed some others we have used in the past) but 70% waste means I shall not be using it again.

I shall conduct an identical experiment using the slightly more expensive "Alan Titchmarsh - Seed Supreme " brand, and possibly some others......

But already I think that the economic solution for bird lovers such as ourselves, would actually be to avoid these commercial mixes and blends altogether, and buy bags of specific seeds that are actually eaten by the species we want to attract and make our own mix.
This may cost much more in initial outlay but it seems the cheap alternative is a false economy.

3.0 out of 5 stars The birds love it, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
The birds love the seed and it has transformed the garden into a zoo. Lovely to see. I would say that I have found the seed cheaper at B&M or pound stretcher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bargain., 3 Mar. 2013
J. Genge Kennedy (Dorset. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
This bird food is the tops. No other mixed bird seed that I have ever bought has attracted so may birds. I really need only these, dried mealworms and some sunflower hearts and my garden attracts so many species of bird it is a delight. Would recommend these to any bird lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg, 14 April 2013
Mr. Colin B. Taylor "Bazza Taylor" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
Very good value for money. We only get the basic varieties in our garden - pidgeon, blackbird, sparrow and not much of anything else! They clearly enjoyed it and ate the lot every time I put some out on our garden path.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seed mix, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
What can I say, the birds seem to love it.good delivery,well packed.good price.maybuy more in the future if price is still good

2.0 out of 5 stars little birds don't like it, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
I agree with another reviewer, this seed attracts large birds, particularly jackdaws. Also, I have noticed that only the black seeds are picked out and all the rest just stay there for weeks. I have stopped buying it but maybe it's different depending on the area (I am in South East England).

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be alright., 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg (Misc.)
You get a big bag full, and it's much easier than having to carry it home. The mix appears fine, but it could do with more sunflower seeds. I've noticed the same manufacturer sells bags of just sunflower seeds, which may explain the quantity ratio.

Wild Bird Seed Mix 4kg