on 27 May 2006
If God were a woman, she would be Alice Russell. I'd never heard of her until a friend introduced us, and since then I haven't put this cd down. There is not a duff track on here, my personal highlights including 'All Over Now' for it's sheer overwhelming driving enthusiasm and 70's inspired funk, and Humankind, the greatest number one single that never was. I cannot rate this album highly enough, I feel like I've searched for this album for years and finally someone has delivered it. Buy it. Buy it for your friends. Tell your friends to buy it for their friends. This is truely the sound of summer 2006.
on 21 February 2006
I found out about Alice Russell when somebody suggested I listen to her because she is similar to Nikka Costa (Everybody Got Their Something).
Alice Russell's voice is deep, soulful and just a little husky now and then. The music is really catchy, just after a few listens of the funky 'A Fly In The Hand' you'll soon be humming and tapping in time with the beat. There's also a really nice jazzy piece 'To Know This'. I've given 5 stars, though it would've been 4.5 if this were allowed, because it seems all the catchier, more momorable tunes are together on the first half of the album. From 6 onwards the songs seem to go down a notch in the upbeat style of the ones before (excluding Munkaroo) leaving the album with a more mellower sound. It doesn't matter really, and of course it's not just this CD that's arranged like this, but I think it's nicer and more memorable when albums end on a happier note.
Overall if you're looking for something that's upbeat, easy going and fun you couldn't go wrong in picking up Alice Russell's 'My Favourite Letters'.
on 20 January 2006
My flatmates and I all went to the Wardrobe in Leeds expecting some band that we had seen before to come on. But we were mistaken and saw Alice Russell. It was such a good performance that one of my flatmates bought this CD. On comparison of the live performance and the CD, it's clear how talented she and her band are. The arrangement of the songs was so different that I almost didn't recoginse them, and there's not many people who do this any more. So hats off. It's a brilliant album and you should go buy it, then go out and check out her live act!
on 5 October 2005
I just got this CD the other day and was really most impressed by it. Alice is from UK and this is her second album. She has a most effective voice which can cover a range of vocal styles. The music is an interesting fusion of soul, jazz & funk and she is accompanied by real musicians. Some of the songs like 'A Fly In The Hand' & 'Mirror Mirror On The Woof - Tell The Story Right' are a throwback to the days of classic soul. Others like 'All Else Can Wait' & 'What We Want' are modern funk but with a twist. I hope that Alice does well as she way above the majority of today's newcomers. This album will put a smile on your face at the end of a hard day.
on 16 February 2006
This album is truely uplifting, quirky and soul-full! Alice Russell has the most amazing command over her voice and has written songs that bring a huge grin to my face every time I hear them - I've not yet overplayed this album....I don't think it's possible!
on 20 October 2005
Yet again Miss Russell has come up with a scorcher. Another fine production from the Tru-Thoughts stable. Having seen Alice live a few times you realise just how great she is.
Buy it, love it! Be amazed!
on 17 April 2009
I didn't discover this album - or Alice Russell - until spring 2008, but it was a revelation to me. She's the best artist I've come across in a long time. I vividly remember the first time I listened to it properly, sat outside in the first hot sunny day of the year in Copenhagen. The sheer, breathtaking delicate beauty combined with the totally original sound of I'm Just Here totally blew me away. As did many of the other tunes.

This lady really can sing, but that's not what makes this album so special. There are tons of technically talented singers who can seemingly manage little more than formulaic vocal noodling. In stark contrast, Alice is genuinely original and truly versatile.

At times, spectacularly tender and touching on Mirror Mirror and I'm Just Here, while at others brilliantly upbeat on Humankind and All Over Now. Not every song touches these dizzy heights, but there is a lot of quality on this album. This is rare musical talent on display here - if you haven't experienced it, you're seriously missing out.
on 10 September 2011
My wonderful Fiancé took me out for a surprise anniversary dinner, fab, great company, fabulous food, divine wine..............BUT, the real gem was the music that was playing..wow!
fantastic, jazzy, soulful, relaxing, stimulating, soothing, beautiful, colourful and smooth. Alice Russell was playing. I grabbed the waitress who informed me they always played her albums.
I ran out and bought the lot, she is just simply wonderful. This is the sort of music you just cannot dislike no matter what genre you love. Her voice is just superb, strong, interesting and beautiful. Buy it, your ears really deserve this exquisite delight!
on 22 February 2009
I have been so blind and so stupid. I bought this album over two years ago and dismissed it as ok. My sister plunked it out of my collection told me how good it was so I re-listened.

This album is not just good it's great. Immense. A feature that is very prominent in her music is harmony. She uses it to such great effect that the sweet soul vibes resonate well after the songs have finished. "I'm just here" is a beautiful example of this.

It's true that every song is wonderful and "Mirror Mirror on the Wolf" exemplifies this. Powerful like Aretha making me want to sing and shout with her.

I'm lucky I discovered this again.
on 12 June 2007
I've just bought this CD over the last month and it is a fabulous thing. Alice has a truly remarkable voice with a gift for writing so well and choosing god artists to collaborate with. There is not a weak track here to my mind and my favorite tracks change daily at the moment but To Know This and High on a Hook are right out of the top drawer.

If Alice keeps up with her track record so far we are all in for a great ride in years to come.

Buy this CD if you know whats good for you and restore your faith that there is some really good stuff going on out there.