4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal from New Orleans., 10 Jan 2014
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rock With The Hot 8 (Audio CD)
After watching the box set of Treme over Christmas, I was looking for more of the real music that is featured in that show - the kind of earthy, funky Jazz that only comes from that time and place. This is certainly the real deal - rough and ready, but sincere and genuinely joyful expressions of the spirit of New Orleans.

I don't know why they are called the Hot 8 as there are 11 or 12 musicians shown as being part of the band, as well as many guests mentioned! But anyone who has watched Treme, will know that this kind of band is fluid and is basically about whoever turns up on the gig. All the band member are both musicians and singers - the singing is enthusiastic but often out of tune - but this somehow adds authenticity to the sound, which is in no way about perfection, but more about everybody having a good time and dancing.

The music is always funky and dance-oriented, but there are also some nice arrangements and while "Sexual Healing" is no doubt the stand-out track, it's just part of a whole culture of "call and response" , borrowing melodies from anywhere and putting it all together like a musical collage. The sound is determined by the practicality of marching and moving about - all brass and drums, with tuba to the fore and a lot of snare drum. So, this group can play anywhere and march in outdoor parades - the basis of this music in New Orleans - whether for a carnival or a funeral, it's always on the move.

This album is a great introduction to the band, which has a distinctive sound that may be best heard live outdoors - but if you can't get to see them live, this will do nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock with the Hot 8, 15 May 2010
Mr. Daniel Johanan "Jo" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock With The Hot 8 (Audio CD)
I've been looking for this album for ages!

I heard the Marvin Gaye cover over three years ago (i think i was in Kings Cross and Gilles Peterson or Norman Jay were playing)but never managed to find out who it was by on the night. I like to discover these things as the world presents them so didn't invest a great deal of effort trying to find it.

I was recently in Tel Aviv and this was playing in a local bar, a quick chat with the DJ gave me what i needed and now this is on my regular playlist - looking forward to playing it this summer!

Great Album - looking forward to the next discovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Rock With The Hot 8 (Audio CD)
a truly brilliant melding of big band jazz, hip hop, soul and blues. I discovered this after following links on related artists from another band on spotify and enjoyed it so much I bought the album (as I always still like to do) and haven't been disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy listening, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Rock With The Hot 8 (Audio CD)
Very laid back but very cheerful sounding! Great! I like the fact that the covers have a particular twist on the original versions and love the arrangements for each track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!!, 22 Oct 2008
J. Banks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock With The Hot 8 (Audio CD)
I first heard Hot 8's cover of Sexual Healing when I saw Koop a couple of years back and was blown away. What a tune!!! I ran over to ask the support DJ who it was and he told me it was the Hot 8 Brass Band. Tried to order online the next day but to no avail and had forgotten all about it until I spotted that DJ Yoda had it on his Fabric album. Bless him! Found the album on amazon and ordered it straight away. No idea what the rest of the tracks are like but frankly I couldn't give a hoot, unlike those cheeky Hot 8 dudes. Buy this now and impress all your mates by sticking it on at the next party you rock up to.... Awesome!!

ARRAY(0xa845ea08)