5.0 out of 5 stars funny
Published 16 months ago by Mrs. S. M. Townsley

1.0 out of 5 stars I just...don't like her
The problem with this book is, it's split into two parts. Ruth Field combines some very interesting ideas with a really horrible, negative attitude. I agree with her premise, that some people need a boot to get started but she comes acros as really smug and rude with it.

Published on 29 Mar. 2012 by E. Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, 17 Nov. 2013
Mrs. S. M. Townsley "sheri" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
Was insulted to the point of almost slapping my sister across the face with my bingo wings when she suggested I read this book. However i bought it, read it, laughed lots and started running. 1 Marathon down and another on the horizon, I've never looked back. If buying for a friend though I'd strongly recommend you describe the contents of the book as inspirational and fun rather than just handing title over, in which case stand well back!

1.0 out of 5 stars I just...don't like her, 29 Mar. 2012
E. Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)

So much of this book jarred with me. She encourages you to hate your body, to stand in front of the mirror (naked) and chant 'I'm a fat bitch'...why? Probably everyone who bought this book (for £10.99, mental) bought it because they are already unhappy with themselves - why make it worse? She then attempts to lighten the tone with 'oh, come on, it's just a laugh - I laugh at myself when I'm chanting this, it makes me megalolz, it's so funny ROFLcopter' but it's not funny, and it's not helpful.

She even admits herself that she was never fat, that she was slightly overweight due to a few lunches that she ate while training to be a barrister ( you may as well get this fact into your brain now, she talks about it enough), so really, she has never struggled with a long-term weight problem. And a lot of her methods are backed up by her family - I don't know about you, but I reckon my family would back me up if I wrote a book too. It probably wouldn't make for very accurate case studies but it would probs shift some books (£10.99 a copy, bonkers).

Oh, I am trying so hard not to be annoyed by this book because I really do think the tough love approach would work well. But if you are looking for someone to identify with you and to understand how tricky weight loss can be, then this book is not for you. Spend your £10.99 on something lovely, like flowers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm...., 14 Jan. 2014
Not too keen with the 'I'm a fat/lazy bitch' chanting, whether it's jokey or not. Not conducive to good mental health, unfortunately. If you are in the slightest bit prone to depression, steer well clear.

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't suit everyone, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I was curious about this book, so bought it although I didn't like the title. It's quite witty, and I'm sure it'll work for some people. If you respond to abuse, if it fires you up, if you secretly have always wanted to go to a boot camp or join the army, then this could be for you. I'm nothing like that, and at points I got irritated by the assertion that the best way to spur yourself on is by being negative and abusive to yourself.

I feel qualified to comment, because last year, after abhorring running for as long as I can remember, I trained and ran a 5k. I now run regularly, though very slowly, and I'm no athlete! I managed to do it using the programme in 'Running Made Easy', where you build up very gradually from running a minute. The time demands are nowhere near as much as in this book, and I fitted it around work and children. Running Made Easy is a well-written book, and has got a much better tone. (And no, I'm not related to the authors, but it achieved the impossible and got me running.) I also like the John Bingham books, like No Need for Speed, which are funny and have lots of things that overweight forty-somethings like me can relate to.

I wrote this just to get people to think what motivates them. If you like being shouted at, this will suit you. If that sort of thing just turns you into a sulky teenager and makes you want to give up, then try the others I've recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I wish I had listened to the other reviewers of this book. Lots of writing with nothing to say. Drink Water, eat less crap and run as best you can while calling yourself a fat bitch.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it works for unfit fat older women, 17 Jan. 2012
B. Bampton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I'm 60 and 3 stone overweight. My attention was caught by the extracts in the times but I'm disappointed with the book. To begin, with I'm struggling to read it at all because a lot of it is in a really odd spidery script!
Ruth is unrealistic. She admits she was really into sport at school and never fat, and her mother played squash and netball after her kids were born and was active into her 40s. How can she relate to somebody like me who was always last to be picked for school sports? Her husband could run 4 miles after just 6 weeks - the furthest I have ever run in my entire life without stopping is half a mile and that was after 4 months training for a charity race. She talks about finding attractive circuits with little or no concrete that are fairly flat and start and end at the front door. I live in the country and I can't do that. (Her mother apparently lives in the Virginia Water park?)
All of these points are excuses but probably my main problem is that I don't respond to the stick, I just hibernate. Like Ruth I have an inner Grit Doctor. She gets me up at 3am to take my mother to the bathroom but she'll never get me to run at 6am on an empty stomach in the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Sugar Coating, 5 Jan. 2012
J. Blake "richaldis" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
Tells the truth about running (it's hard), forces you to confront the lies you tell yourself, and motivates far better than the 'be nice to yourself, you deserve it' wet self-help books. A really good introduction to running for beginners too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating tone, 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Kindle Edition)
Having read reviews, I was intrigued. It was poorly written, some advice admittedly but only as much as you would glean from a newspaper feature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Kindle Edition)
Very practical, realistic and inspiring. It has been a while, but i Can't wait to get my running shoes on and get out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must ead, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Kindle Edition)
If you are struggling with motivation issues this is the book. Takes a serious activity and makes it fun, which is what running should be.

Run Fat Bitch Run