5.0 out of 5 stars No Sugar Coating
Tells the truth about running (it's hard), forces you to confront the lies you tell yourself, and motivates far better than the 'be nice to yourself, you deserve it' wet self-help books. A really good introduction to running for beginners too.
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by J. Blake

1.0 out of 5 stars I just...don't like her
The problem with this book is, it's split into two parts. Ruth Field combines some very interesting ideas with a really horrible, negative attitude. I agree with her premise, that some people need a boot to get started but she comes acros as really smug and rude with it.

Published on 29 Mar 2012 by E. Watson

1.0 out of 5 stars I just...don't like her, 29 Mar 2012
E. Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)

So much of this book jarred with me. She encourages you to hate your body, to stand in front of the mirror (naked) and chant 'I'm a fat bitch'...why? Probably everyone who bought this book (for 10.99, mental) bought it because they are already unhappy with themselves - why make it worse? She then attempts to lighten the tone with 'oh, come on, it's just a laugh - I laugh at myself when I'm chanting this, it makes me megalolz, it's so funny ROFLcopter' but it's not funny, and it's not helpful.

She even admits herself that she was never fat, that she was slightly overweight due to a few lunches that she ate while training to be a barrister ( you may as well get this fact into your brain now, she talks about it enough), so really, she has never struggled with a long-term weight problem. And a lot of her methods are backed up by her family - I don't know about you, but I reckon my family would back me up if I wrote a book too. It probably wouldn't make for very accurate case studies but it would probs shift some books (10.99 a copy, bonkers).

Oh, I am trying so hard not to be annoyed by this book because I really do think the tough love approach would work well. But if you are looking for someone to identify with you and to understand how tricky weight loss can be, then this book is not for you. Spend your 10.99 on something lovely, like flowers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm - genuine attempt to get people off the couch, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
The very good intention to address not just method but motivation is a laudable one. But the substance is thin and the book is too long. It's a very personal account apparently referencing the experience of family and friends yet makes grand claims for running. There's a suggestion that running be diagnosed for post-natal depression. I wonder if the limited experience here translates widely.

In summary the content is

Don't make excuses for yourself - use equipment you have and just get on with it
Start by walking a 5k ish route which starts an ends at your door on soft surface as much as possible
Build up to running it at least 3x per week no matter what the weather
Drink lots of water
Eat more healthily
Don't expect to enjoy it and the first 10 minutes of running is always painful
Lack of choice and simplicity is conducive to a repetitive routine
Once the routine is established build on it by setting some more ambitious goals

This book optimistically suggests there's a singular answer to getting a person from doing nothing to regular exercise. It's a very welcome focus on the question of motivation but suspect the answer is an individual one. Always useful to hear what has worked for someone but hopefully the author would not herself make greater claims than that this is a personal perspective shared.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mmmm...., 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
Not too keen with the 'I'm a fat/lazy bitch' chanting, whether it's jokey or not. Not conducive to good mental health, unfortunately. If you are in the slightest bit prone to depression, steer well clear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 19 Jun 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I wish I had listened to the other reviewers of this book. Lots of writing with nothing to say. Drink Water, eat less crap and run as best you can while calling yourself a fat bitch.

2.0 out of 5 stars how to hate yourself, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I'll admit right away that I didn't finish the book, I just couldn't. The title of this book really piqued my interest, I though,'a bit of tough love and a good dose of humour is just what i need'. However within the first couple of pages I hated Ruth Field. As someone who is overweight and struggling with self confidence, being told to hate myself is not what i needed! Unfortunately that's exactly what the author does. The whole premise of the book is about tapping into the cruel, negative self-hating part of your brains and bullying yourself into exercising. What's more is that right away she tells the reader that they will probably never enjoy running and that it's something that you will have to force yourself to do for the rest of your life. I don't know about anyone else but I think life is just to short to spend hours doing something I detest. There are so many other activities you could do to lose weight. The final thing that bothered me is that Field informs us that she has never been more than a few pounds overweight so I wasn't inspired by her in the slightest. If you are intent on learning to run I would recommend Matt Roberts latest book, I read his previous 'I will make you fit fast' and I'll be happy to give it another go after this mess.

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it works for unfit fat older women, 17 Jan 2012
B. Bampton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I'm 60 and 3 stone overweight. My attention was caught by the extracts in the times but I'm disappointed with the book. To begin, with I'm struggling to read it at all because a lot of it is in a really odd spidery script!
Ruth is unrealistic. She admits she was really into sport at school and never fat, and her mother played squash and netball after her kids were born and was active into her 40s. How can she relate to somebody like me who was always last to be picked for school sports? Her husband could run 4 miles after just 6 weeks - the furthest I have ever run in my entire life without stopping is half a mile and that was after 4 months training for a charity race. She talks about finding attractive circuits with little or no concrete that are fairly flat and start and end at the front door. I live in the country and I can't do that. (Her mother apparently lives in the Virginia Water park?)
All of these points are excuses but probably my main problem is that I don't respond to the stick, I just hibernate. Like Ruth I have an inner Grit Doctor. She gets me up at 3am to take my mother to the bathroom but she'll never get me to run at 6am on an empty stomach in the dark.

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't suit everyone, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Paperback)
I was curious about this book, so bought it although I didn't like the title. It's quite witty, and I'm sure it'll work for some people. If you respond to abuse, if it fires you up, if you secretly have always wanted to go to a boot camp or join the army, then this could be for you. I'm nothing like that, and at points I got irritated by the assertion that the best way to spur yourself on is by being negative and abusive to yourself.

I feel qualified to comment, because last year, after abhorring running for as long as I can remember, I trained and ran a 5k. I now run regularly, though very slowly, and I'm no athlete! I managed to do it using the programme in 'Running Made Easy', where you build up very gradually from running a minute. The time demands are nowhere near as much as in this book, and I fitted it around work and children. Running Made Easy is a well-written book, and has got a much better tone. (And no, I'm not related to the authors, but it achieved the impossible and got me running.) I also like the John Bingham books, like No Need for Speed, which are funny and have lots of things that overweight forty-somethings like me can relate to.

I wrote this just to get people to think what motivates them. If you like being shouted at, this will suit you. If that sort of thing just turns you into a sulky teenager and makes you want to give up, then try the others I've recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Kindle Edition)
As an ex-runner (retired due to injury) I put on a bit of weight, and needed a kick in the proverbial to get off the sofa and get moving again. My friend recommended this book for me and it was cheap one day so I bought it.

Firstly, let me say that I don't necessarily live by Debrett's rules, but I find the language in this book unnecessarily bad. Perhaps it is meant to add to the 'short sharp shock' approach to this book? So, that was an instant irritation, but nonetheless I persevered.

On giving the book more attention I found myself getting more and more annoyed with the author. She seems to be of the impression that all people who don't run are fat, and all people that run are thin. And that all people who don't run and/ or are fat must be in denial. This might be the case for some people - in which case her approach may work - but not everyone.

She herself admits she has never been fat, and began running to lose 10lbs or some other trivial amount. So, from her perspective, fitness and health was never that far away. Perhaps she just needed a short sharp shock and because it worked for her, she thought it would work for others. And I'm sure it will work for some people - my friend still swears by it - but it's not for me. But then I was a runner in the past, and only stopped because my GP made me, not because I wanted to. Perhaps it works better for those who have never exercised?

Onto the book itself, once you get past the short-sharp-shock section, there isn't much else. The training plan is incredibly basic. The basic idea is you set yourself a 3-4 mile route and try and run as far round it as you can, then walk the rest, and you try and increase your distance-run until you complete the route. Hardly rocket science, but it is a good idea to 1) build up your distances and 2) have a regular route for safety and comparison purposes.

There isn't really anything in terms of nutrition, injury prevention or health there. Or safety for that matter. It is very much a "get out there and do it" book. I did finish it, and I was glad to have read it all, but the style and content irritated me so much I didn't bother following any of the advice and just did my own thing (which is based on run-walk intervals). But again, I have been a runner in the past.

In summary, you might like this, you might not, so I would have a look at it in an actual bookshop and see what you think before spending any money.

NB. In terms of plans, I found there are so many better ones for beginner runners, including the book 'Teach Yourself Running' and the FREE (!) and excellent NHS Couch to 5K programme available online. If you don't need or like the sound of the short-sharp-shock section, just go for this. Do an internet search for "beginner running plans" and you'll be sorted.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Sugar Coating, 5 Jan 2012
J. Blake "richaldis" (UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating tone, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Run Fat Bitch Run (Kindle Edition)
Having read reviews, I was intrigued. It was poorly written, some advice admittedly but only as much as you would glean from a newspaper feature.

Run Fat Bitch Run