5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read
This book is the first in the Jack Shepherd series, of which there are currently three titles. Our hero is an American ex-pat living in Bangkok with his artist girlfriend, teaching at a small university, and trying to forge his previous life as a lawyer in the US.

Published 23 months ago by c9cREVIEWS

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Preferred his earlier books not so keen on this one just a matter of taste I suppose can't win them all.
Published 7 months ago by pepper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 5 May 2012
This review is from: LAUNDRY MAN (The Jack Shepherd International Crime Novels) (Kindle Edition)

When a dead friend reappears with a beautiful bodyguard everything is about to change. Everyone seems to think he is involved in the disappearance of millions of dollars. Everyone except Jack, who finds that as the days pass he is drawn ever more deeply into a mess that will change his life forever. If he survives.

The book involves some detail about international banking and company structure, but fear not, you will not find yourself drifting off to sleep. The banking is punctuated by action and description that you will find irresistible.

I have found another author to put on my short list of people whose books I will read as soon as I can get my hands on them.

(I reviewed a copy which I purchased.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Laundry Man' is NOT washing Your dirty cloths..., 13 Jun 2013
This review is from: Laundry Man (Paperback)
... but a lot of money all around Southeast Asia.

This is the debut of Jack Shepherd, once a big-time lawyer in the U.S. of A., and now a quiet professor at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok.
When a former partner in his ex law-firm - presumed long dead as a stone - makes contact, a lot of unpleasant things begin to happen in Thailand's capital and extend to Hong Kong. And our good man Jack is in the middle of this typhoon...

>>A lawyer among people who laugh at the law, a friend in a land where today's allies are tomorrow's fugitives, Jack Shepherd battles the global tide of corruption, extortion and murder that is fast engulfing the new life he has made for himself in Thailand.<<

And the protagonists are so real and the places Jake Needham takes Jack - and us with him - are so credible, because the author is a long-time expat who knows his Oriental places firsthand.
A real pleasure to read and a whole bunch of reasons to buy and read the other Jack-Shepherd thrillers KILLING PLATO (A Jack Shepherd crime novel) andA WORLD OF TROUBLE (A Jack Shepherd crime novel), too. A new one has to come out in fall.
Read them - they are worth Your time!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Jake Needham I have read, 18 April 2012
This is the first Jake Needham book I have read and it certainly won't be the last. Having spent time in Thailand on business this book had a head start as far as I am concerned, but it certainly lived up to expectations. The hero, Jack Shepherd can sometimes be a selfish plonker but for this reason I can relate to him. You have to concentrate when getting towards the end and the plot is revealed.
I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next 2 in the series

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 15 Feb 2014
I am still reading it and I hope it picks up real soon but I am half way through and finding it as hard as treacle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laundry Man, 15 Sep 2013
As usual, Jake Needham delivers. The Jack Shepherd novels as always keep you in suspense from start to finish. The stories are clever and believable. His books keep me awake at night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 6 Sep 2013
J. Gale - See all my reviews
Parts of this book had me glued to my kindle, but there were also parts that forced me to go back many pages to pick up the story again. All in all a good read if you don't mind revising when half way through it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 3 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Very engaging read, 1 Sep 2013
Mickey Spillane meets James Bond with a little Jackie Chan thrown in for good measure. As a debut novel it was a very good read. I particularly enjoyed the descriptive prose and some of the analogies and ironic humour are going to be difficult not to plagiarise!

I did spot a few typos and I think the choice of character names could be improved - especially Arthur Dailey; a name that to an Englishman's eyes could never be taken seriously! But otherwise an excellent book and I hope to be reading more of Jake's work. Well done that man.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller, 30 July 2013
Bought this when it was on offer for 0p and it is a bargain! Good quality thriller with some nice insights into people's motivations as they go through life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into it, 30 July 2013
A difficult read,. I found it boring so stopped after 3chapters, maybe I haven't give it chance maybe I will give it another chance. Only if nothing else to read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›