5.0 out of 5 stars Plays Nice With Linux
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product....shame about the software
Published 12 months ago by Thinderchild

5.0 out of 5 stars Plays Nice With Linux, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Logitech C920 USB HD Pro Webcam with Auto-Focus and Microphone Black (Personal Computers)
I have been using the C920 Pro for approximately 6 months now and I couldn't be happier with it. This was an upgrade from my old Logitech Quickcam Orbit, which served me well for years. The unit is quite small, about the size of a sticking plaster, with the HD lens positioned between stereo microphones. The webcam has a folding, rubberised bracket which will secure itself to most surfaces, but for more precise positioning, there is a screw thread underneath for attaching to a quick release tripod.

My main use for the webcam is to sit on top of a 42" HDTV in my living room, with the cable connected into a laptop running Arch Linux. Using this setup I keep in touch with my friends & family via Google Hangouts. The image quality is *significantly* better than any other web cam I have either owned or whose image I received in a video call. The microphones are, apparently, "crystal clear" although I generally use a separate condenser mic on a studio boom, purely out of habit.

If the camera works as a plug n' play device under Arch Linux, which is quite minimal (on purpose) then I'm pretty sure it will 'just work' out of the box with Ubuntu, Linux Mint and the like.

To summarise, unless you are looking for a broadcast quality camera, then the C920 Pro should be your go to web cam for Google Hangouts & Skype. Recommended without a moments hesitation.

PROS
Small, light & stylish design with a generous amount of cable
Exceptional image quality
15MP image quality for still shots
Well thought out mounting options

CONS
Autofocus isn't the quickest I've ever seen
Can't rotate the camera left or right without using a tripod

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product....shame about the software, 11 April 2014
The cam works well enough out of the box. I have main atop my PC screen and despite Logitechs best efforts to make it adjustable to all, I stiil need Blu-tac to make it fit. The camera is of reasonably good quality but the mic could be better for example it is not as good as a headset even a very average one for skyping but it is easily good enough to be heard and understood and very convenient if you dislike using headsets. The biggest let-down was the lack of software for such a high-end webcam. I suggest you take a look at the Logitech site before purchasing as they seem to have withdrawn a lot of the add-ons which were originally available for this cam.

As usual, I blame Windows 8 for this, as Microsoft appears to have forced everyone else to abandon Windows 7 when they did. And guess what.......Windows 8 does not appear compatible with the older add-on software we used to get. So not only do Logitech get rid of effects etc for W8 users (and who can blame them) but for W7 users also. (!!!!!!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 20 Mar. 2014
Fed up with my laptop’s pathetic, allegedly ‘HD’ webcam, I decided to give the C920 a go. What a difference! It’s by far and away the clearest webcam I’ve ever used. The images are crystal clear, it responds well to changing light, has a decent dual microphone setup, and feels incredibility sturdy for something so small. On the downside, the autofocus isn’t spectacularly quick, but is more than acceptable. Also, whilst the angle of pitch can be changed, you would need to attach it to a tripod in order to turn it left and right.

3.0 out of 5 stars This webcam gets good reviews - I can't understand why, 28 Aug. 2014
This webcam gets good reviews - I can't understand why. I have 2 of them, bought at different times, so not from the same batch.
They work fine - they have the advantage (?) of an internal hardware codec which reduces cpu stress on your computer.

However, the images that you get are "soft" - i.e. not sharp, compared to the Microsoft Lifecam Studio, which has superior image quality in my opinion, but has no internal codec.

If you have a fast high spec computer and want best image quality, get the Lifecam .
The C920 is over-hyped in my opinion.

Neither the Lifecam nor the Logitech have good audio - best to use an external mic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 April 2015
When planning to produce some online courses, I splashed out on a semi-decent camcorder to do re talking head shots, but I found the messing about popping memory cards out of the cam, and into the PC, them importing the second media into the timeline and syncing it all up (over and over again) a little...cumbersome. Not to mention the real estate a cam tripod (even a small one) takes up your desk.

It was a choice between this and the similarly priced Microsoft one, so I studied the youtube reviews, and this one won out, so I got one.

First thoughts are it's tiny, but beautiful to look at. Despite its size, it still feels really well made. The mount looked a little confusing, but when you put it atop your monitor it becomes obvious how it functions, and works really well. For those who want it, the mount also comes with a standard screw fitting for tripod mounting.

Win 8.1 detected it, and installed the drivers in a minute or so, but I also downloaded the Logitech software from their site to get the tools to to play with resolution and what not. The first thing I noticed was the field of view on this is huge. So much so, that I turned it from 1080, to 720 to avoid recording the whole room. That done, you can then zoom in, pan left and right until you get the perfect head shot...nice.

As this pipes straight into your PC, my screencast software (Camtasia) records the cam simultaneously, so all my sync problems were solved automatically. Problem solved. The recordings appear crisp and clear whatever the lighting conditions, and there is no stutter or judder whatsoever.

The sound is reasonable, but I pipe the audio from a Blue Snowball (which is better).

I know it's pricy, but the quality is great. There is a reason that this is the best selling webcam in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful webcam, even better than some mobile phone cameras !, 2 Feb. 2015
I bought this webcam to replace my old logitech one which was broken after many years of loving use. I was not disappointed. The product was slightly over packaged in my opinion and was not the easiest to un-package, however, it was well worth the extra effort.

Pros -
The clarity, crispness and quality of the video feed/photos are incredible.
Stylish design, not too large/bulky.
Tripod screw for attaching it to your favourite tripod.
Beautiful blue LED light to let you know when your webcam is in use by an application.
Great microphone/sound for videos.
Lovely lighting & colour balance - The webcam performs wonderfully in low lighting and spectacularly in good lighting
Fully adjustable settings via Logitech webcam launcher application to ensure you get the exact picture colour etc. that you want.
Very sturdy when on the top of a thin laptop screen due to the grips on the base.
Feels luxurious and premium in regards to quality of materials used to make it and in terms of weight.

Cons -
The "mirrored" setting you would expect to be able to use as per standard with all webcams is only able to be used on certain settings with this webcam. I have not found out entirely why that is yet, however, you can get around that via opening an application such as skype and fiddling with the settings on there once you have your main settings set up to your preferences.

My main uses -
Skyping my family back home and my friends here in the UK, Video diaries, some pictures occasionally.

Conclusion - I highly recommend you try out this webcam, it was worth the money for me. Any down sides it may possibly have are easily worked around so that they are no longer a downside. I am really glad I now own it! - If you are still in doubt after reading reviews, go on youtube and see the video reviews, they helped me to decide alongside online reviews !

5.0 out of 5 stars works with my mac, 4 Mar. 2014
I had read differing reviews about whether this webcam would work with a mac. Initially i couldn't get the video to work with Skype but found I had simply not changed Skype preferences. I have had no problems with it since . The sound quality is far superior than my old apple isight cam and video is great too.The gripping stand works well for my needs too. There is a logitech camera settings app on The App store which provides extra options when using the webcam .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent group mike and zoom camera for on-line chatting., 14 Dec. 2014
Dr. H. L. Fletcher (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This works perfectly and was easy to set up in XP or W7 (read the instructions). It has an app to control its area of view, that is it can collect part of the visible picture. It can be zoomed out, and directed up, down, and sideways, so you don't have to sit at a particular hieght to be centred. It also has the ability to track your face, so you don't have to sit still either. This is the conference version so it has stereo mikes and can both view and pick up sound from a group of people, ideal for family get-togethers at Christmas, or business meetings. There is another model with a single directions microphone for a single person and reduced background noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needs a fast/powerful computer, 22 July 2014
Paul Lewis (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This camera is absolutely amazing although I quickly discovered that older computers simply can't cope with the speed that this camera demands I'd you want high quality images.

Works great on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1
Drivers are available online.

Autofocus and zoom functionality is ideal for my needs.

Best quality webcam I've ever used our seen in action.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for most, but not for me., 30 Nov. 2014
Pros : The #1 webcam for sitting at your pc with cam pointed straight at you. Looks + feels like a quality item. Simple to install.

Cons : No USB 3.0 support. True megapixel value is 3MP. Software lacks advanced options. Zeiss lens is overkill given cameras real capability.

Verdict : This is THE webcam for people who want to plug it in and never mess with the settings, but try pushing it from its comfort zone and you immediately hit hardware limitations. Also beware the nasty 15fps gotcha if LightBoost is enabled.