Edition: 16GB Model|Change

on 23 March 2013
A memory card for the likes of the Vita is a hard thing to review – after all you’ll need one at some point to save game data at the least (the Vita doesn’t have memory for this built in). For this purpose the 4GB card that Sony bundles in with a lot of Vita consoles is good enough, as save games don’t require a massive amount of memory.
However, if you are looking to download full games or downloadable content (DLC) you are really going to need something more than a paltry 4GB. With the (frankly brilliant) advent of Playstation + (PS+), a larger memory card becomes a necessity.
So, having PS+, I came to the point where I required a card larger than the 4GB that came bundled with the console- downloading the likes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss takes up 3485MB!

Of course, I baulked at the price of the memory cards- like everyone else that has posted a review so far- as we have been spoiled by the pricing of Secure Digital cards and such like over the last few years.
Apparently, Sony went with their own proprietary cards for the Vita to ‘ensure a stable user experience for all Vita buyers’ (which may be true) though it’s widely regarded that the reason was to try and combat piracy which plagued the PSP. However, in doing so they closed the memory card market for the Vita to themselves, meaning there is no competition and prices are high.
I bought the 16GB card as I couldn't settle myself spending sixty quid on a 32GB card – it’s just too much.

The card arrived the next day in an Amazon cardboard envelope package which was suitable for the item. The memory card is stored within a sealed card (as per the Amazon product picture). Cutting along the edge opens and reveals an instruction sheet hidden inside and the card held in a plastic sleeve.
The cards themselves are very similar to the likes of the SD cards but slightly larger (15mm x 13mm). They slot into the bottom right of the Vita (looking face on), below the serial number sticker.

As I previously had the 4GB card I had used the Content Manager to save my game saves to the PS+ Online Storage -you can also save to a PC or PS3. This meant that all I had to do was transfer the saves to the new card, download the games I wanted from the PS Store and I was away.

I currently have ten games installed on my 16GB card which are a mix of full vita games (Uncharted, Need For Speed), PS Store games (Super Stardust, etc) and PS Mobile games. I could probably get one more full Vita game installed before I run out of space.
The cards are of a good quality – I have experienced no corruption of data or write problems like I have previously with cheap SD cards in cameras, etc.

Amazon seemed to be the cheapest going at the time of buying and that included pricing up pre-owned cards from the likes of Game.

In summation; the card serves it’s purpose but is very expensive for what it is.
Hopefully in time the prices will come down but it seems we’re stuck with what we have for now.
I purchased this Vita memory card as I wanted to be able to take advantage of the many downloads available with PS+ and still be able to keep some of my favourite games on the go.

The price is a bit high but not too bad now. I'd definitely say this is the minimum you want. I had an 8 gig card with my Vita and it was pretty much filled by the 10 games that came with it.

With this and use of the PC transfer software I'm finding I have enough space to keep a good few things on the go as long as I swap things onto the PC from time to time.

Definitely recommended.
on 22 February 2012
Sony has once again opted for expensive proprietary memory with these new Vita flash memory cards. These cards will
be neccessary for storing the games themselves if you decide to go down the digital route and purchase games directly
from the PSN Store, as well as the game's save files, and future updates or patches. They'll also be used for any photos,
music or video you want on your Vita because the device itself has no built in memory.

Considering the maximum memory card available right now is just 16GB, it's likely you'll need to purchase multiple cards
if you want games from the PSN Store, and also want your media on the Vita (current games range from 200mb to 3GB in size).
The main issue is that the cards are overpriced, i'm fairly confident that cheaper brands will appear, but Sony should
know better. Another problem is that the cards are tiny and easy to lose, and switching between cards is very fiddly
(you'll probably need to switch between cards if you need more space or if a save file is on a different card, but also
switching cards allows you to use different PSN ID's - it's currently the only way of using more than one PSN ID).

But if your not going to have any media on your Vita and will be purchasing all your games via retail in boxed copies,
you can pretty much sidestep these overpriced cards. Each Vita game will come on its own memory card with enough space
to store your save data. This won't work for games which explicitly require a memory card like Uncharted Golden Abyss.

So although buying at least one Vita memory card is necessary, depending on how you will buy your games, how much media
you want on your Vita, and whether or not you want to manage multiple PSN IDs will influence what size card you need.
44 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2012
Not really much to say really. You put it in. You save games and data onto it. Does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Just hope that one day Sony stop developing proprietary memory media and charging the earth for it!!
on 2 July 2013
It is a memory card and it does exactly what a memory card should. You plug it in, save stuff to it, end of story.

These memory cards are extortion at its worst from the big companies like Sony and Microsoft. They realise that if they make you need something they can charge you what they want. Same way Microsoft did with the proprietary hard drive on the Xbox 360.

But if this was a review for Sony I'd give it a zero but this memory card isn't to blame for its price. I don't see any reason this card couldn't be sold for £10-£15, the price is Sony's doing. I bet they churn these things out like toothpicks.

I'd say 16GB at the moment is the sweet spot. I have a number of games on my Vita and it isn't full yet which means 32GB will probably be wasted if you don't just horde everything and you will save yourself a great deal of cash.

But I would be struggling right now with 8GB.

Unfortunately you need one to play games so it is probably a good idea to get it right the first time especially considering the price. I doubt you will be unhappy with this card. Just wish Sony would realise we would respect them more if they didn't get us in a headlock when we decide to buy their console.
on 17 December 2015
Shame these are sooo expensive, should really be looking for deals aroun this time of year come to think of it as this still isnt enough got this fun idea of owning a card just to have Finaly fantasy 1 through 10-2 on it. But doubtful I could find the time to actually playthrough them all again.
on 3 March 2012
Yes reasonably expensive, but not so much compared to standard M2 cards. The best thing is that it allows you to back up all your downloaded games and saved content to a pc, so if you lose your card, you can just upload the backup to your vita, which you can't do if you buy games on individual cards. However, you are paying a premium for this feature.
My other gripe is that they're so small, you can lose them very easily, so best to buy bigger gb space initially rather than have lots of small gb cards.
Essential if you want films and music on the go!
on 9 January 2016
Brought this memory card for my teenage brothers PlayStation Vita and he is absolutely over the moon with how brilliant this little thing is!

We had searched all over shops for something larger than 8GB but nothing was available and then I looked on Amazon and found this!

Compared to the prices in store for much smaller memory amounts this was so affordable, it gave me more for my money and is just what he had wanted. It will serve his needs for long to come and arrived in perfect time.
on 11 May 2012
Although I don't agree with how Sony have done the whole memory card thing for the Vita, I got this on sale and I've gotta say that it was worth the money. I haven't even filled it up yet! I've got my 5gb music library, 7 PSP games, Plants vs Zombies, Dynasty Warriors Next (amazing Vita game), Facebook, twitter, Paint Park, Skype and Frobisher Says! and I've still got 5gb free! Hopefully it'll be enough for when they finally emulate PS1 games on the Vita :P
on 12 June 2014
Works great but I've given it 3 stars as it's too pricey. I wish I new you NEED an expensive memory card before buying my Vita.
Sony really need to drop the price of the PROPRIETY cards before I will give it 5 stars. I don't see why they couldn't just let us use normal MicroSD cards.