5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Trev-R

3.0 out of 5 stars Dylan covers for a very good cause...
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by G. E. Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, 8 Feb 2012
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan, Honouring 50 Years of Amnesty International (Audio CD)
I was in two minds to write a review or not as the one review already up here seems to cover most of what I would want to say. Forgetting the good cause and concentrating on the music I would say 75% of the artists I have not heard of and of the remaining 25% I probably not buy music from 15% of them. However this album opens up those artists to me using the universal music of Bob Dylan. This isn't a covers album but an album of interpretations of Dylan's music. You need to come to it with an open mind especially if you are a hard core Dylan fan.

Overall I believe it is a good album for a good cause and while there were some low points I would say they were more than made up for by some really great interpretations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honouring Bob and Amnesty, 14 Feb 2012
Mr. D. Watson "doogemeister" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I am not a huge Bob Dylan fan! (all the Dylanites open their mouths in shock!) There, I've got that out of the way so Dylan fans you can now breathe again! This album might not be a lot of people's cup of tea but I was actually impressed in quite a few places by these covers from Bob's extensive songbook. I like how the collection brings together artists old and new in an attempt to do his songs justice and raise the spotlight on Amnesty International in the process.

There were a few surprises for me, I loved Eric Burdon's take on 'Gotta Serve Somebody'. Was blown away by Flogging Molly committing crimes against Bob's music with their Punky take on 'The Times They Are A Changin', and even My Chemical Romance trashing the life out of 'Desolation Row' was brilliant.

No matter how much people may dislike Adele I have to say her version of 'Make You Feel My Love' is much better than some of the versions I've seen and heard Bob playing live! I heard his version in a store one day and some kids were mortified saying, "I can't believe that man is ruining an Adele song like that!" Well it made me laugh!

Some people I'm sure are going to look at the artists included in this collection and shake their heads in dismay, Miley Cyrus? Really? But you have to know that no matter how much people are going to speak against it she actually does a fine job on 'Your Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go', and I will understand those who will go crazy against Ke$sha murdering 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' (probably the least pleasant track on the album for me).

I could mention a lot more songs, but then I'd have to go on a bit too long. The only question that needs to be asked is, "Should I buy it?" If you are like me you'll go ahead and take a chance. It's a great price for 4CD's.

I hope Bob is happy with this. I do tend to disagree with the BBC review that has been posted, Paul Whitelaw should be embarrassed a little that his "sprawling folly" of a review is liable to put people off buying it, but it's a good thing we don't always listen to reviewers isn't it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dylan covers for a very good cause..., 8 Feb 2012
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Profits from this 4-disc CD go towards human rights organisation Amnesty International, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2011, also the year that Dylan played his first gig. To paraphrase Bill Bryson writing about his recent book `African diary', think of this as a donation to a very worthy cause, with a free CD! Most people in this country would have first been aware of Dylan in the early 60s as a songwriter rather than a performer, with his songs being performed by artists such as Peter, Paul and Mary, the Byrds and Joan Baez.

This is an interesting collection of artists, with 60s veterans like Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson and Pete Townsend; people who came to prominence in the 70s - Sting, Elvis Costello, Patti Smith and newer acts like My Morning Jacket, Queens of the Stone Age and the Dave Mathews Band. There are also many acts who are completely off my radar - Cage the Elephant, The Belle Brigade and Zee Avi?? Also, some people have suggested that the pop performers featured here -such as Miley Cyrus, Natasha Bedingfield and Kesha - are out of their depth but Dylan doesn't only write difficult wordy political and surreal allegories but also songs of whimsy and straightforward love songs and ballads which anybody can sing. We get the full gamut of Bob's oeuvre here from the early classics like "Blowing in the wind" and "Mr. Tambourine Man" to mid-period songs like "Most of the time" and "Gotta serve somebody", more recent songs like "Love sick" and obscurities such as "Seven curses".

There is a lot of music here, lots of variety - folk, rock, jazz, blues - some of it works fine, others don't work so well - with the main fault being too respectful to the original version of the songs. Everyone will have their own ideas what works and what doesn't, I don't intend to criticise any of the acts, who have all contributed to a worthy cause.

My own personal highlights were Mark Knopfler's Celtic take on "Restless farewell", Elvis Costello's very individual version of "License to kill", Sinead O'Connor's "Property of Jesus" and Maroon 5's "I shall be released". I particularly liked the one-off special combinations like Paul Rogers and Nils Lofgren's "Abandoned love" and Seal and Jeff Beck's "Like a rolling stone" and Steve Earl and Lucia Micarelli's "One more cup of coffee". I also really enjoyed performances by two artists I hadn't heard of before, Charlie Winston's "This wheel's on fire" and Blake Mills "Heart of mine" - with its marvelous slide guitar. We also get two serial Bob-botherers - Bryan Ferry and Mick Hucknell, as well as Taj Mahall who the law decrees has to appear on every tribute album. It was also good to hear the great Pete Seeger, the excellent Bettye Lavette, 60s survivors Marianne Faithfull and Eric Burden and even Adele's recent hit with ""Make you feel my love". It was also a nice touch to finish with Bob's own version of "Chimes of Freedom".

5.0 out of 5 stars Mostly very good with a few turkeys, 25 Feb 2012
S. J. Christie (london United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Dylan has been covered countless times and some of the covers have come to be seen as the definitive version, eclipsing the original. I'm thinking of Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower or (stop reading now if you're easily offended) Adele's Make You Feel My love. The point of a cover version is to add something different to the original, Dylan of course has always done this with his own songs, and there are plenty of examples here, some inevitably more successful than others.I thought there were surprisingly few really bad versions, but step forward Sting - boring and tedious, Lenny Kravitz - just wrong, and Mick Hucknell - fabulous karaoke but utterly pointless. Miley Cyrus and Ke$ha did not come up the car-crashes I was expecting, though Ke$ha seemed to be suffering from a nasty bout of the sniffles towards the end. The stand-out tracks for me were Patti Smith's Drifter's Escape, Seal and Jeff Beck breathing new life into the oft-covered Like A rolling Stone and best of all Bettye La Vette's truly stunning Most Of The Time, plus spcial mention to 92 year old tireless campaigner Pete Seeger on Forever Young. There were a few notable absentees from the list of artists appearing. Were Bruce Springsteen and Emmylou Harris for instance too busy? I can't believe they weren't asked to contribute.
If you're thinking of buying this I suggest you ignore Paul Whitelaw's mean-spirited BBC review.
At 72 tracks there is an awful of music to listen to but the beauty of MP3 is you can make your own shorter compilation of the songs you like.
I would have deducted one star were it not for such a worthwhile cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 23 Dec 2012
More people singing Bob Dylan. If you like Bob Dylan's songs it is always good to hear other renderings of songs you know well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you might think, 22 Feb 2012
K. Lewis (Northamptonshire UK) - See all my reviews
This is much better than I expected and a bargain - and it's all for charidee!

There are only a few turkeys - an average of less than one per disc. Sting is simply awful (as usual) and I can't listen to My Chemical Romance (who they?) and what is allegedly Desolation Row. But there are some great tracks despite the fact that many of the artists are unknown to me.

If you thought that you would never hear a version of Like a Rolling Stone that came anywhere near the original then listen to Seal and Jeff Beck (yes really!)

Considering that we used to not long ago pay this money for one CD of perhaps ten tracks, then this has to be great value. Bob has written an incredible number of good songs beyond the ones everyone can think of and the collection (mostly) does them more than justice. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars DYLAN TRIBUTE CD, 5 April 2012
I tossed up before buying as I read an ordinary review but I am loving the 4 CD's .

There are some great versions here and you can understand the words!

To be fair I am a Dylan tragic

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly fresh versions of the stuff, 12 Mar 2012
Let's face it, the guy has been covered more times than is always comfortable, and some of the attempts are execrable. So it's good to find such a large selection of good things. Well worth the investment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different to expected, 9 Mar 2012
Mr. Peter Davey "Grumpy" (Bognor Regis) - See all my reviews
I bought this to support Amnesty and being from a generation that grew up with Dylan.

The range of different artists from many different styles and generation provide a very mixed bag and showed the wide variety of Dylan's song writing and poetry. I have to say my favourites were from stars from the 60s, it was great to hear Eric Burdon and Marianne Faithful again

Overall a worthy addition to my collection

3.0 out of 5 stars No one sings Dylan like Dylan, 18 Feb 2012
D. Watts (London) - See all my reviews
If you know and love the originals this compilation will serve to send you back to them. It's instructive to be reminded that Dylan is actually a great singer, in his phrasing, characterisation and emotion - listen to The Nightwatchman completely miss the point about Blind Willie McTell (it wasn't that he's the best blues singer). Some good versions here; I liked Mariachi El Bronx's version of Love Sick and Miley Cyrus does a fine version of You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go. There's some interesting choices (more from Street Legal than I expected) and overall its an involving listen and all in a good cause.