5.0 out of 5 stars Plunges you straight into 19th Century London, 21 Mar 2012
Miss Victoria Ramage (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Remains (A Maggie Power Adventure #1) (Kindle Edition)
Dark Remains is a wonderfully well researched book. From the start, I was gripped by the writing and plunged straight into 19th century London. I felt as if I really were in the grubby, filthy streets of London, alongside Maggie and Tom. The book has a very Dickensian feel to it and I would definitely recommend it to fans of Mary Hooper, as the plot follows a very similar path to her novels. Maggie's voice, although written by a man, is very authentic. Throughout the story she remains a very string character, determined to protect her little brother from the horrors of Victorian London.

The plot itself is actually kind of bizarre! At first, I didn't find it very believable but as the loose ends were tied up I could understand why things happened when they did and I really appreciate that! It was still a very bizarre story even at the end though and not one I'll easily forget!

I was especially pleased to find out at the end of the story that there will be a sequel, as I'm quite curious to find out what happens to our little gang!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling work from a very promising author., 13 Feb 2012
This is an astounding novel. All the more considering it is the author's debut. From the outset I was hooked. It is one of those rare books that contains some hidden narrative magic.The pace of the novel with its many twists and turns made it compelling reading. In style it reminded me a lot of the late great Dickens himself. The author's portrayal of 19th century Victorian London and the pivotal references to Chartism, the first mass working class Labour movement in the world, is clearly well researched and very well presented. This is definitely an author to look out for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Remains, 29 Jan 2012
A beautifully written book which i thoroughly enjoyed.A real page turner from beginning to end, which i have recommended to friends. Thirteen year old Maggie is a strong and brave young woman,bring on the next one Sean,i look forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Remains, 23 Dec 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to be read. I will look forward to another book by this author.