Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
Package Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:£55.89+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 1 July 2012
This is currently the best value 2TB 7200RPM drive around, being some £25 cheaper than the nearest competitor. It's also the fastest in most benchmarks, which means if you're after a fast, cheap 2TB drive, it's a no-brainer on the face of it.

The problem is that these drives are also showing some problems. As you'll see from some of the other reviewers here, as well as elsewhere, the two problems are:-

(1) Bad sectors, which can appear very early, and are obviously a very serious problem if they occur, with likely data loss.
(2) A loud clicking sound which occurs periodically, which is the drive starting a load cycle after sleeping. This is a problem because the drives are only rated for 300,000 load cycles, and due to the power settings on the drive, this figure will be reached within a few months on the firmware that most of the drives are shipped with (CC4C). This problem can be fixed by updating the firmware (to CC4H) using Seagate's free utilty, but not all drives are managing to successfully update in this way.

Essentially, it's a lottery. If you get one of the drives made in Thailand, then the chances are it will be fine and you'll have a bargain. If you get one of the drives from the China plant to which production was shifted following the Thailand floods last year, then there seems to be a much greater chance that the drive will exhibit one or both of the above problems. Then it's a case of changing it and hoping for the best. I had a faulty drive from China, and swapped it for one from Thailand, and I'm pleased with the it now. It's a risk, though.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 31 July 2013
After ordering this I started reading more of the reviews and started to think I'd made a mistake, However.... Please note this is currently under 1 month old. If issues arise I'll bring them up when I update this.

On arrival it was well packaged on time (a day early) and I was pleased to see I'd gotten a Thailand model rather than one made in China,. I read issues regarding country of origin in other reviews. I added this to an Intel 3570k gaming pc for additional storage. The rig also has a 256gb ssd (Samsung 840) for the O.S. and other odd's and sod's and a 1tb WD Red for Steam, Origin and other online game set ups.

I plugged this in to a Sata 2.0 as the ssd and Red took up the 2 sata 3.0's available. Yet it is roughly 40% faster than the red still. I didn't expect that even though there different speeds so I was pleased.

During the first month where it can be sent back I've been scanning for error's every few days and so far zilch. It's clear of any problems.

My experience so far:
For the price I have done really well, 65 quid and I have a 2tb drive thats averaging around 160/150 mbs on read and write,
It's showing no errors as I reach the 3 week period and I will continue to test on a regular basis as I always do for all components. I'm a heavy user who's rig spends 8 plus hours a day on. I use the drives a lot as my hobby is modding so I move files around a lot as well as run relevant programs like SDK's etc.

I will update this review whether I come across issues or not to either give it a thumbs up or warn of what to watch for. for now it's a good performer, All the best.

UPDATE, I've had it 5 weeks now, so it's beyond the 28 day send back, Tests show it is A-okay. Next update in a few months.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It really is great to see how the prices of hard drives has fallen. Many are migrating to SSDs and that could be a contributing factor.

Yet at this price it really is hard to discount the Seagate Barracuda, (or any decent hard drive for that matter) especially if you do not have a SATA 3 motherboard which can take full advantage of SSD bandwidth.

The Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache is viable option for those seeking a massive storage high speed drive at a.great price. Yet it has to be noted that these drives are not always made in Thailand, which are generally very reliable. I have read reports of drive failures, and most of these were made in China.
The first digit of the serial number indicate country of manufacture:
Z - Thailand / S or W - China

Buying online is a bit of a Russian roulette, so, in this case the best option is to buy from a computer store. The serial number can be easily seen through the anti static protective cover.

It has to be noted that Seagate honour a no quibble 2 year European warranty.

I was lucky as Amazon thankfully sent me the Thailand version, which was also adequately packaged.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 June 2012
I had to return all Seagate drives back as bad sectors appeared. Please check your drive after few days of use.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 June 2012
First impressions are very good, I only hope that it maintains the initial good start.

I tested it with a destructive read write cycle with Disk Sentinel software for 8 hours, no faults or bad blocks where found.

I got the speed with HD Tunepro of Min 30 Max 188 Avg 135 Mb/s This is about 50% faster than the 1 GB 2 year old drive it is replacing.

There is a slight scraping noise when the drive activates from idle, but in general use it is very quite.

The temperature is mostly between 38-48 Degrees C

The drive was quite well packed on arrival, marked as ''Made In China''.

The scraping noise I mentioned is often cured by a firmware update, check that you have CC4H version if not apply the free Samsung update while you are still in the 30 day refund period.
This is a very important update that can lengthen the service life of the Drive.

Update the good start did not last! after less than 3 months use. 440 sectors where reallocated (marked as Bad) this rose in less than two weeks to over 1,000 sectors even Seagate's own disk checking tool advised a replacement drive, this was done but with me paying the return carriage cost of £4.40
on 20 April 2014
The drive's pretty decent. Performance is solid, and the price was excellent. But a couple of things have disappointed me.

First, sometimes the drive can make random thudding noises even when idle. It's not deafening, I find them just about noticeable and they can be annoying. To be fair on Seagate, though, this is certainly not the noisiest drive I've ever come across. I'm just a little picky.

A second issue has annoyed me more, though. When I looked up the drive on Seagate's own website this series was advertised as using 1TB platters - meaning this drive should have 2. Many of these drives - particularly ones that have gone out for review - do. But some (depending where they were manufactured) do not. Some of them use 3 666GB platters, and these drives are louder and slower. I drew the short straw and got the inferior 3 platter model. It's a pretty poor showing from Seagate that certain drives can be completely different but share the exact same model number. Not to say this drive is bad, but I could've got a better performing, quieter drive with the exact same model number, possibly from the exact same seller, if I'd simply been lucky.

Bottom line: the drive will be a solid performer, and your mileage may vary, but some drives of this model are better than others.
on 3 April 2014
This HDD is much much cheaper than it's nearest rivals. And some people have been quite lucky and hada reliable storage device with no problems whatsoever. IAM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!

I am currently on my third one. Initially my wife bought me an external HDD which housed one of these (I had wanted a WD My Passport, but she thought she was doing me a favour!) It failed after a few months. I thought/hoped that it was the enclosure, but sadly not. After trying the convoluted warranty process, I gave up and bought a new one.

This worked for about 6 months, then died. (Click, click, click). This time I persevered with the warranty system and finally got a replacement (from the seller and NOT Seagate in the end!). This replacement has just died on me.

Through the 3 drives I have had there were no bumps, shocks, surges, nothing! So far I have lost almost 6tb of data on these shoddy drives. NEVER AGAIN!

STEER WELL CLEAR FELLOW AMAZON CUSTOMERS!
on 19 June 2015
Recived a Thailand version worked fine first day. Day 2 got s.m.a.r.t error backup and replace message unable to boot. My mother board is asus gene v previous hdd 1tb same sata cable and port fine no error messages. Tried in another pc booted fine and no smart errors with hdd health progam very weird . I returned as I needed for my asus. Anyway first time I used amazon returns via collect+ and money was refunded in 2 days.
on 2 November 2012
My 1st unit failed after just 2 days use with SMART monitoring failure. Amazon quickly replaced this but the replacement has just failed again with the same error some 2.5 months later. This may have been a faulty batch that both drives came from but not good however you look at it. The PC where the drive is installed has a seperate system drive with this drive ONLY being used for data so it's not even being accessed that often.

I have always used seagate drives (with the exception of some green power WD's) and have fiund them exceptionally reliable until now.... Not sure if Seagate have changed their manufacturing or whether these disks are just poorly built.

I now have to take this up with Seagate since the product is outside Amazon's 30 day returns window as well as the hassle of being without a PC for however long it takes Seagate to look at this...

Not impressed.

I also have to agree with previus comments about the packaging - A thin cardboard "wrapper" with the disk in an anti-static bag is no way to ship a hard disk. Previous disks purchased from Amazon were sent inside a carboard box well padded with foam.
on 17 May 2012
*Edit* I have been informed that Seagate are honouring a 2-year warranty in the UK and Europe so the below text of my review has been updated.

I have extremely positive experiences of Seagate warranty replacement service.

Any time I have sent a faulty drive back to Seagate I have received a replacement promptly and their online system keeps me informed of the status throughout the process.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...