4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap but hit-or-miss
This is currently the best value 2TB 7200RPM drive around, being some £25 cheaper than the nearest competitor. It's also the fastest in most benchmarks, which means if you're after a fast, cheap 2TB drive, it's a no-brainer on the face of it.

Published on 1 July 2012 by Karvala

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted just over a year, then failed. Rubbish.
Lasted just over a year, then failed. Rubbish. Seagate used to make bullet proof hard drives, but no longer it seems. Meanwhile, old HDD from WD in ancient QNAP still going strong after five years.
Published 12 months ago by Matthew

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap but hit-or-miss, 1 July 2012
Karvala - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive (Accessory)

The problem is that these drives are also showing some problems. As you'll see from some of the other reviewers here, as well as elsewhere, the two problems are:-

(1) Bad sectors, which can appear very early, and are obviously a very serious problem if they occur, with likely data loss.
(2) A loud clicking sound which occurs periodically, which is the drive starting a load cycle after sleeping. This is a problem because the drives are only rated for 300,000 load cycles, and due to the power settings on the drive, this figure will be reached within a few months on the firmware that most of the drives are shipped with (CC4C). This problem can be fixed by updating the firmware (to CC4H) using Seagate's free utilty, but not all drives are managing to successfully update in this way.

Essentially, it's a lottery. If you get one of the drives made in Thailand, then the chances are it will be fine and you'll have a bargain. If you get one of the drives from the China plant to which production was shifted following the Thailand floods last year, then there seems to be a much greater chance that the drive will exhibit one or both of the above problems. Then it's a case of changing it and hoping for the best. I had a faulty drive from China, and swapped it for one from Thailand, and I'm pleased with the it now. It's a risk, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, Zippy Drive, 14 Mar 2014
A. Camilleri - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It really is incredible how the prices of such quality hard drives has fallen. Many are migrating to SSDs, and that could be the major contributing factor.

Yet at this price it really is hard to discount the Seagate Barracuda, (or any decent hard drive for that matter) especially if you do not have the latest SATA 3 motherboards for which SSDs are optimized.

The Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache is viable option for those seeking a massive storage high speed drive at a very low price. Yet it has to be noted that these drives are not always made in Thailand, which are generally very reliable. I have read reports of drive failures, and most of these were made in China.
The first digit of the serial number indicate country of manufacture:
Z - Thailand / S or W - China

Buying online is a bit of a Russian roulette, so, in this case the best option is to buy from a computer store. The serial number can be easily seen through the anti static protective cover.

It has to be noted that Seagate honour a no quibble 2 year European warranty.

I was lucky as Amazon thankfully sent me the Thailand version, which was also adequately packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars How's it going...., 31 July 2013
After ordering this I started reading more of the reviews and started to think I'd made a mistake, However.... Please note this is currently under 1 month old. If issues arise I'll bring them up when I update this.

On arrival it was well packaged on time (a day early) and I was pleased to see I'd gotten a Thailand model rather than one made in China,. I read issues regarding country of origin in other reviews. I added this to an Intel 3570k gaming pc for additional storage. The rig also has a 256gb ssd (Samsung 840) for the O.S. and other odd's and sod's and a 1tb WD Red for Steam, Origin and other online game set ups.

I plugged this in to a Sata 2.0 as the ssd and Red took up the 2 sata 3.0's available. Yet it is roughly 40% faster than the red still. I didn't expect that even though there different speeds so I was pleased.

During the first month where it can be sent back I've been scanning for error's every few days and so far zilch. It's clear of any problems.

My experience so far:
For the price I have done really well, 65 quid and I have a 2tb drive thats averaging around 160/150 mbs on read and write,
It's showing no errors as I reach the 3 week period and I will continue to test on a regular basis as I always do for all components. I'm a heavy user who's rig spends 8 plus hours a day on. I use the drives a lot as my hobby is modding so I move files around a lot as well as run relevant programs like SDK's etc.

I will update this review whether I come across issues or not to either give it a thumbs up or warn of what to watch for. for now it's a good performer, All the best.

UPDATE, I've had it 5 weeks now, so it's beyond the 28 day send back, Tests show it is A-okay. Next update in a few months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted just over a year, then failed. Rubbish., 31 Aug 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad sectors appearing fast, 17 Jun 2012
I had to return all Seagate drives back as bad sectors appeared. Please check your drive after few days of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent warranty replacement service, 17 May 2012
*Edit* I have been informed that Seagate are honouring a 2-year warranty in the UK and Europe so the below text of my review has been updated.

I have extremely positive experiences of Seagate warranty replacement service.

Any time I have sent a faulty drive back to Seagate I have received a replacement promptly and their online system keeps me informed of the status throughout the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Drive, 29 Jun 2012
First impressions are very good, I only hope that it maintains the initial good start.

I tested it with a destructive read write cycle with Disk Sentinel software for 8 hours, no faults or bad blocks where found.

I got the speed with HD Tunepro of Min 30 Max 188 Avg 135 Mb/s This is about 50% faster than the 1 GB 2 year old drive it is replacing.

There is a slight scraping noise when the drive activates from idle, but in general use it is very quite.

The temperature is mostly between 38-48 Degrees C

The drive was quite well packed on arrival, marked as ''Made In China''.

The scraping noise I mentioned is often cured by a firmware update, check that you have CC4H version if not apply the free Samsung update while you are still in the 30 day refund period.
This is a very important update that can lengthen the service life of the Drive.

Update the good start did not last! after less than 3 months use. 440 sectors where reallocated (marked as Bad) this rose in less than two weeks to over 1,000 sectors even Seagate's own disk checking tool advised a replacement drive, this was done but with me paying the return carriage cost of £4.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Head Parking, 1 Sep 2012
I purchased a total of 4 of these hard drives to go into my NAS box. Whilst the drives initially appeared to be fine after I while I noticed a repetitive noise coming from my NAS box. After many hours of investigation I finally found that these disk drives have an annoying power management scheme that results the drive parking it's heads approximately every 2 minutes if the drive is not being accessed. Looking at the Seagate forums this seems to be a known issue with these drives, often mentioned as a 'chirping' noise coming from the drives. So whilst the drives themselves seems to work OK, the parking of the heads every couple of minutes can become somewhat annoying. The Seagate forums appear to suggest that Seagate is aware of this and that nothing has been done to address it. I'm not sure if this behaviour has any impact on the long term reliability of the hard disk, however it does become somewhat disconcerting after a while and personally I would not trust these drives with any important information.....just in case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Drive, 25 April 2014
In my view it is not possible to give immediate accurate feedback for a mechanical item, and you really have use it for some time. Well this drive I bought just after the war, and it is still working fine, so therefore, I would say, "top of the pops", it does what it said on the tin...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 10 Mar 2014
Excellent product delivered promptly. Easy to install and up and running in no time. No problems experienced. I recommend this drive.