5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, Zippy Drive
It really is incredible how the prices of such quality hard drives has fallen. Many are migrating to SSDs, and that could be the major contributing factor.

Published 13 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted just over a year, then failed. Rubbish.
Lasted just over a year, then failed. Rubbish. Seagate used to make bullet proof hard drives, but no longer it seems. Meanwhile, old HDD from WD in ancient QNAP still going strong after five years.
Published 19 months ago by Matthew

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, Zippy Drive, 14 Mar. 2014
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive (Accessory)

Yet at this price it really is hard to discount the Seagate Barracuda, (or any decent hard drive for that matter) especially if you do not have the latest SATA 3 motherboards for which SSDs are optimized.

The Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache is viable option for those seeking a massive storage high speed drive at a very low price. Yet it has to be noted that these drives are not always made in Thailand, which are generally very reliable. I have read reports of drive failures, and most of these were made in China.
The first digit of the serial number indicate country of manufacture:
Z - Thailand / S or W - China

Buying online is a bit of a Russian roulette, so, in this case the best option is to buy from a computer store. The serial number can be easily seen through the anti static protective cover.

It has to be noted that Seagate honour a no quibble 2 year European warranty.

I was lucky as Amazon thankfully sent me the Thailand version, which was also adequately packaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap but hit-or-miss, 1 July 2012
This is currently the best value 2TB 7200RPM drive around, being some £25 cheaper than the nearest competitor. It's also the fastest in most benchmarks, which means if you're after a fast, cheap 2TB drive, it's a no-brainer on the face of it.

The problem is that these drives are also showing some problems. As you'll see from some of the other reviewers here, as well as elsewhere, the two problems are:-

(1) Bad sectors, which can appear very early, and are obviously a very serious problem if they occur, with likely data loss.
(2) A loud clicking sound which occurs periodically, which is the drive starting a load cycle after sleeping. This is a problem because the drives are only rated for 300,000 load cycles, and due to the power settings on the drive, this figure will be reached within a few months on the firmware that most of the drives are shipped with (CC4C). This problem can be fixed by updating the firmware (to CC4H) using Seagate's free utilty, but not all drives are managing to successfully update in this way.

Essentially, it's a lottery. If you get one of the drives made in Thailand, then the chances are it will be fine and you'll have a bargain. If you get one of the drives from the China plant to which production was shifted following the Thailand floods last year, then there seems to be a much greater chance that the drive will exhibit one or both of the above problems. Then it's a case of changing it and hoping for the best. I had a faulty drive from China, and swapped it for one from Thailand, and I'm pleased with the it now. It's a risk, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted just over a year, then failed. Rubbish., 31 Aug. 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars spend the extra money., 3 April 2014
R Kelly "Ryan" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This HDD is much much cheaper than it's nearest rivals. And some people have been quite lucky and hada reliable storage device with no problems whatsoever. IAM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!

I am currently on my third one. Initially my wife bought me an external HDD which housed one of these (I had wanted a WD My Passport, but she thought she was doing me a favour!) It failed after a few months. I thought/hoped that it was the enclosure, but sadly not. After trying the convoluted warranty process, I gave up and bought a new one.

This worked for about 6 months, then died. (Click, click, click). This time I persevered with the warranty system and finally got a replacement (from the seller and NOT Seagate in the end!). This replacement has just died on me.

Through the 3 drives I have had there were no bumps, shocks, surges, nothing! So far I have lost almost 6tb of data on these shoddy drives. NEVER AGAIN!

STEER WELL CLEAR FELLOW AMAZON CUSTOMERS!

5.0 out of 5 stars How's it going...., 31 July 2013
After ordering this I started reading more of the reviews and started to think I'd made a mistake, However.... Please note this is currently under 1 month old. If issues arise I'll bring them up when I update this.

On arrival it was well packaged on time (a day early) and I was pleased to see I'd gotten a Thailand model rather than one made in China,. I read issues regarding country of origin in other reviews. I added this to an Intel 3570k gaming pc for additional storage. The rig also has a 256gb ssd (Samsung 840) for the O.S. and other odd's and sod's and a 1tb WD Red for Steam, Origin and other online game set ups.

I plugged this in to a Sata 2.0 as the ssd and Red took up the 2 sata 3.0's available. Yet it is roughly 40% faster than the red still. I didn't expect that even though there different speeds so I was pleased.

During the first month where it can be sent back I've been scanning for error's every few days and so far zilch. It's clear of any problems.

My experience so far:
For the price I have done really well, 65 quid and I have a 2tb drive thats averaging around 160/150 mbs on read and write,
It's showing no errors as I reach the 3 week period and I will continue to test on a regular basis as I always do for all components. I'm a heavy user who's rig spends 8 plus hours a day on. I use the drives a lot as my hobby is modding so I move files around a lot as well as run relevant programs like SDK's etc.

I will update this review whether I come across issues or not to either give it a thumbs up or warn of what to watch for. for now it's a good performer, All the best.

UPDATE, I've had it 5 weeks now, so it's beyond the 28 day send back, Tests show it is A-okay. Next update in a few months.

3.0 out of 5 stars the dodgiest hard drives made, 4 Aug. 2013
just bought one of these recently, it's quiet, fast & efficent seagate make the best hds going. i highly recommend this drive, also seagate discwizard will clone your old drive onto this within minutes, a great drive. highly recommended.
UPDATE. after 13 months of regular use, it failed, sent an RMA as there's a 2 yr seagate warranty on these drives, waiting for a replacement, since the floods in thailand, these drives made in china are dodgy ? seagate's usual high quality is on the slide. so beware?
seagate in holland sent me a replacement, only it's a re-certified drive made in china ? so let's hope this one will last longer than the last one ? fingers crossed ? if not then it will be a move over to western digital drives ?

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad sectors appearing fast, 17 Jun. 2012
I had to return all Seagate drives back as bad sectors appeared. Please check your drive after few days of use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for heavy use!, 7 Jan. 2015
J. Cathles (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased four of these drives (not from Amazon) just over 3 years ago, to populate a 4-bay NAS.

The first of the drives failed two days after the one-year warranty expired, and by the end of three years three had failed outright and the fourth was issuing imminent drive failure messages via the SMART status messages.

I know that a NAS is quite an extreme use, and these drives were spinning 24x7x365 for that time, but even so it's rather disappointing to find such a short lifespan. I will NOT be buying Seagate drives again in a hurry!

1.0 out of 5 stars Blue screen after less than a week (a week of installations and updating), 22 July 2013
Jeremy (BRACKNELL, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Totally frustrating. I know they a pretty cheap but I thought Seagate would mean it was reliable. Sadly I had the same experience with an Expansion drive (one worked the second lasted a month!)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy! It lasted just 2 weeks! They are the cheapest but the least reliable hard drives., 28 Jan. 2015
Horrendous! Do NOT even think of buying one of these HDs as they have a 25% failure rate. I lost two weeks work when the heads crashed. It appears it was manufactured three years earlier but never sold, so when I received it, it was still new, but it then failed two weeks after I received it. Recovery would have cost over £500 - and it would only be likely to rescue a proportion of my data. Thank goodness the original wedding files were all backed up though! Don't risk it . Read all the reviews first.