4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap but hit-or-miss
This is currently the best value 2TB 7200RPM drive around, being some 25 cheaper than the nearest competitor. It's also the fastest in most benchmarks, which means if you're after a fast, cheap 2TB drive, it's a no-brainer on the face of it.

Published 22 months ago by Karvala

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor product or poor packing?
Published 21 months ago by Techwiz

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap but hit-or-miss, 1 July 2012
Karvala - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive (Accessory)

The problem is that these drives are also showing some problems. As you'll see from some of the other reviewers here, as well as elsewhere, the two problems are:-

(1) Bad sectors, which can appear very early, and are obviously a very serious problem if they occur, with likely data loss.
(2) A loud clicking sound which occurs periodically, which is the drive starting a load cycle after sleeping. This is a problem because the drives are only rated for 300,000 load cycles, and due to the power settings on the drive, this figure will be reached within a few months on the firmware that most of the drives are shipped with (CC4C). This problem can be fixed by updating the firmware (to CC4H) using Seagate's free utilty, but not all drives are managing to successfully update in this way.

Essentially, it's a lottery. If you get one of the drives made in Thailand, then the chances are it will be fine and you'll have a bargain. If you get one of the drives from the China plant to which production was shifted following the Thailand floods last year, then there seems to be a much greater chance that the drive will exhibit one or both of the above problems. Then it's a case of changing it and hoping for the best. I had a faulty drive from China, and swapped it for one from Thailand, and I'm pleased with the it now. It's a risk, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars How's it going...., 31 July 2013
After ordering this I started reading more of the reviews and started to think I'd made a mistake, However.... Please note this is currently under 1 month old. If issues arise I'll bring them up when I update this.

On arrival it was well packaged on time (a day early) and I was pleased to see I'd gotten a Thailand model rather than one made in China,. I read issues regarding country of origin in other reviews. I added this to an Intel 3570k gaming pc for additional storage. The rig also has a 256gb ssd (Samsung 840) for the O.S. and other odd's and sod's and a 1tb WD Red for Steam, Origin and other online game set ups.

I plugged this in to a Sata 2.0 as the ssd and Red took up the 2 sata 3.0's available. Yet it is roughly 40% faster than the red still. I didn't expect that even though there different speeds so I was pleased.

During the first month where it can be sent back I've been scanning for error's every few days and so far zilch. It's clear of any problems.

My experience so far:
For the price I have done really well, 65 quid and I have a 2tb drive thats averaging around 160/150 mbs on read and write,
It's showing no errors as I reach the 3 week period and I will continue to test on a regular basis as I always do for all components. I'm a heavy user who's rig spends 8 plus hours a day on. I use the drives a lot as my hobby is modding so I move files around a lot as well as run relevant programs like SDK's etc.

I will update this review whether I come across issues or not to either give it a thumbs up or warn of what to watch for. for now it's a good performer, All the best.

UPDATE, I've had it 5 weeks now, so it's beyond the 28 day send back, Tests show it is A-okay. Next update in a few months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor product or poor packing?, 13 July 2012
I have to mention first, I agree totally with so many of the reviews (which I ignored) the packaging it absolutely atrocious, (I bought 4 of these to replace 4 wd greens having read that there incompatibility with qnap devices meant false errors would be reported, but the WD's had far superior protective packaging). The packaging was an anti-static wrap, and then all 4 drives placed in what can best be described as a cardboard wrap that would have suited a hard back book better, (minus 2 stars).

The drives were installed in a Qnap nas system and over a period of nights were individually tested for bad sectors (again) as others have stated I could here squawks/ squeals as the Qnap was accessed.
After a couple of days one of the drives was reporting bad sectors, a return to sender and a further order from Amazon (and yes still the same packaging policy), meant I now have 4 of these sat in my NAS, I have had to concede to setting up the NAS as raid 5 (I dare not risk losing data due to damage in transit or Seagate's drop in quality standards which ever it is) and have performed one full test on each drive (this is now set up to perform a weekly test).

I am getting transfer speeds of 15mb over an excellent "N" wifi network; they are running at a steady 35 degree Celsius (5 short of temperature related errors) and are fairly quite in operation.

I will update this review if any further drives fail in the coming months, but have to say that prior to this purchase Seagate would have been my drive of choice, I have used Seagate's several times in the past (I have 2x 750mb drives in an NAS that have served me for 4 years with out a blip), I choose these once I found out the WD's were incompatible and as these are the same drives that Qnap install if you buy a NAS with storage included, thought I would have less issues with compatibility, in hind sight I should have perhaps chosen a supplier who cares about there delivery service.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad sectors appearing fast, 17 Jun 2012
I had to return all Seagate drives back as bad sectors appeared. Please check your drive after few days of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ask to see the serial to make sure it's a quality version, 5 April 2014
There are a few versions of these 2tb Seagate drives and some people might already be aware that the ones from Thailand are best. I have done my own research about this and did find some information that others should be aware of.

The HDD has a serial number on it that is quite important in determining if it's a good or bad one. Fortunately, mine was good (phew), but others might want to ask the seller before purchasing because I have read MANY stories of the bad ones failing after a couple of months. Basically, the first 3 digits of the serial number are important. My one began with Z1E and I will explain what that means:

Z = Thailand

1 = Platter type/density (1 = 1TB/platter, 2 = 500GB/platter)

E = 4 heads (F = 6 heads, D = 2 heads)

So, basically you want one with a similar serial to mine. If the E is replaced with an F then it's a bad drive.The Z is for Thailand and they have an awesome reputation compared to the Chinese ones, however, there's two locations in China and those letters are as follows:

S - SU - Suzhou China
W - WU - Wuxi China

Apparently the Suzhou (S or SU) versions are also good, but I would just get the one from Thailand just in case. Of course, this information doesn't take into consideration poor handling and/or delivery procedures so it's not a certainty that all Z1E drives will work well, but there's a very good chance of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Drive, 29 Jun 2012
First impressions are very good, I only hope that it maintains the initial good start.

I tested it with a destructive read write cycle with Disk Sentinel software for 8 hours, no faults or bad blocks where found.

I got the speed with HD Tunepro of Min 30 Max 188 Avg 135 Mb/s This is about 50% faster than the 1 GB 2 year old drive it is replacing.

There is a slight scraping noise when the drive activates from idle, but in general use it is very quite.

The temperature is mostly between 38-48 Degrees C

The drive was quite well packed on arrival, marked as ''Made In China''.

The scraping noise I mentioned is often cured by a firmware update, check that you have CC4H version if not apply the free Samsung update while you are still in the 30 day refund period.
This is a very important update that can lengthen the service life of the Drive.

Update the good start did not last! after less than 3 months use. 440 sectors where reallocated (marked as Bad) this rose in less than two weeks to over 1,000 sectors even Seagate's own disk checking tool advised a replacement drive, this was done but with me paying the return carriage cost of 4.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare, 14 Aug 2013
Failed after 4 months and I am now having a terrible time trying to return it. Amazon says contact the manufacturer and Seagate are saying it's an OEM, contact your seller. Showing on the website here as a 1 year warranty though but I don't know where to go with it!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying Head Parking, 1 Sep 2012
I purchased a total of 4 of these hard drives to go into my NAS box. Whilst the drives initially appeared to be fine after I while I noticed a repetitive noise coming from my NAS box. After many hours of investigation I finally found that these disk drives have an annoying power management scheme that results the drive parking it's heads approximately every 2 minutes if the drive is not being accessed. Looking at the Seagate forums this seems to be a known issue with these drives, often mentioned as a 'chirping' noise coming from the drives. So whilst the drives themselves seems to work OK, the parking of the heads every couple of minutes can become somewhat annoying. The Seagate forums appear to suggest that Seagate is aware of this and that nothing has been done to address it. I'm not sure if this behaviour has any impact on the long term reliability of the hard disk, however it does become somewhat disconcerting after a while and personally I would not trust these drives with any important information.....just in case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent warranty replacement service, 17 May 2012
*Edit* I have been informed that Seagate are honouring a 2-year warranty in the UK and Europe so the below text of my review has been updated.

I have extremely positive experiences of Seagate warranty replacement service.

Any time I have sent a faulty drive back to Seagate I have received a replacement promptly and their online system keeps me informed of the status throughout the process.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from this one., 29 Oct 2012
J. Wilson - See all my reviews
Well, I thought I would chance this product regardless of the negative reviews.

For the packaging, I have no complaints, it was in a decent sized box surrounded by nice thick bubblewrap suspending it inside the box. Lastly contained within an anti-static ESD bag. Box wasn't damaged, and it was well sealed.

After unboxing it, it's just a nice new HDD. So I go about hooking it up to my system, ready to format, works out ok. I've transferred a few hundred gigabytes over to it, seems fine. I left one of my programs to generate data on it whilst I was at work (technical database stuff, I won't disclose) expecting it to be finished by the time I return when, to my dismay, it had actually frozen my system with a "Delayed Write Fail" showing on it. Restarted the system, quite horrified since I never get such errors with the stuff I do.

I've noticed after days of not really performing operations on it, it seems to have made my system very noticeably sluggish even though it's not my operating system drive.

Curiously, I decided to use some little utilities on it.

I used smartmontools initially which told me there was a problem with the S.M.A.R.T. attribute "End-to-End Errors," which upon further inspection, indicates that the drive is already dying. I used HD Tune Pro to confirm the report, it tells me it's a serious error and I should backup and replace the drive immediately.

A friend of mine told me I should try upgrading the HDD's firmware, but there are none to upgrade to and it seems like whatever the damage is has already been done.

Not wanting to lose all my data already stored on it, I will be running a boot utility to fix any corrupt sectors caused by End-to-End errors, then recover my stuff, and I will be sending this HDD back for a full refund.

Sorry guys.