4.0 out of 5 stars Chinese manufacture new models not up to previous standards
We bought one of these classic toys for our 7 year old. It was great for a couple of weeks until the vertical movement jammed. We sent off for a new one from the suppliers but it never arrived. Took three follow up phone calls and an extremely irate fax to get any response from the suppliers who finally supplied a new one nine months after the first one broke...
Published on 1 April 2008 by Comical Engineer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Bought this for my daughter last Christmas and frankly hasn't worked properly since. You can't get rid of the previous drawing. The new drawing line is so thin and faint you have to go over the line a number of times to see it. All in all very disappointing and not at all like the original one I had many years ago.
Published on 27 Oct 2008 by M. Parker

4.0 out of 5 stars Chinese manufacture new models not up to previous standards, 1 April 2008
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
We bought one of these classic toys for our 7 year old. It was great for a couple of weeks until the vertical movement jammed. We sent off for a new one from the suppliers but it never arrived. Took three follow up phone calls and an extremely irate fax to get any response from the suppliers who finally supplied a new one nine months after the first one broke!

The quality of new models is not as good as the ones I remember when I was a kid. The plastic is not as strong and is more brittle. It can be cracked if dropped. The mechanism is not as good either. The knobs are more difficult to hold because they're smaller (not just because I'm older!) and are not as smooth in use.

As a toy it's still good fun but I felt let down by the poor construction quality and the lack of communication and response from the supplier. Nor did we get any recompense for the postage costs of returning the broken one.

I notice that these are now made in China and you can tell that they are built down to a price instead of up to a specification.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 27 Oct 2008

2.0 out of 5 stars Etch A Sketch, 6 Feb 2009
Mrs. B. Harries "barb/buzby" (England) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Very Disappointed we have perchased this product before but now find the direction of the drawings very poor we did purchase three of these Etch A Sketch

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back the old version, 2 May 2012
This review is from: Classic Etch a Sketch (Toy)
I cant give this any more than 3 stars as it is so small and nowhere near the good quality it was when I had one in the 1980s. What a shame :-( Things these days are just not the same quality. Its a lot lighter and a lot smaller than the original. Shame as all toys seem to be going this way. I wouldnt recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars better off with pen & paper !, 28 July 2009
Sara Moss "sara jane" (welling, kent, england) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
i had this toy as a kid, now my daughter wanted one, so i bought it ! it never worked when i was a kid, they still dont work now lol ! it does not matter where or how you twist the 2 knobs, all the pictures look the same, but saying that, you cant help but keep trying to draw with it ! my daughter wanted it, i dont regret buying it, but its one of those toys that will end up in the back of the cupboard quite quickly ! one of the cheaper toys on the market i suppose !

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it really the world's favourite?, 16 Sep 2008
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
You have to struggle and perhaps tire yourself in order to clear the screen by shaking it. The drawing starts from any random location. However its not bad after all to an unusual kind of drawing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic game with hours of fun, 9 Dec 2010
Tino (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
The classic etcha sketch is a great size game and offers hours of fun with a good sized screen compared to similar products. A blast from the past !

2.0 out of 5 stars Etch a sketch, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Classic Etch a Sketch (Toy)
Bought for a 4 year old. Within a few weeks the etch a sketch was in the bin. Not a robust as the etch a sketch I played with as a child. Without sounding like a codger. They don't make 'em like they used to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Etch a sketch - always great, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Classic Etch a Sketch (Toy)
I actually ordered the wrong thing (my fault) however this will suit someone for a birthday present as its great fun

4.0 out of 5 stars Etch a Sketch, 11 Mar 2011
A. Thomas (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
Go on buy one. This was never really a present for my two year old. It was a blast into the past for me and some 70's nostalgia.
Too complicated for a two year old (obviously bought for me) but still a great toy after all these years.

Classic Etch a Sketch