5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book
Published on 19 Dec 2011 by Winterwoman

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Not a bad read, (could have been worse) but more pictures for easier recognition purposes would have made it a better reference guide.
Published 17 months ago by John Lace

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Raw Edible Wild Plants for the British Isles (and other places too) (Kindle Edition)
If you are new to eating wild plants you will learn a lot from this book and you will be able to start foraging straight away all year round. If you have been eating wild for some time you will still learn a lot, believe me! You may need to use it in conjunction with a plant identification book, which you can easily do via the plants' scientific names. This little book is all you need for an overview of the subject and there's a good list of resources to help you delve deeper. There's a sensible and inspiring introduction too. I actually think this little book goes a long way towards supplanting the classic 'Food for Free', especially for those who are interested in raw or 'living' foods. It's also fantastic value of course!
n.b. it doesn't include mushrooms for which a bigger book would be needed, and preferably an experienced companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rumbling Tummy?, 19 Oct 2012
M. Taplin "mikekoi" (Weston-super-Mare, England) - See all my reviews
After reading this book I have no great wish to rush out into the wilderness grabbing greens on the run and going veggie. However I do think it stimulates the imagination. I found wild cabbage and onions growing by the beach in one Scottish location and could easily conjure up a re-visit with a beach caster, a windbreak, a spirit stove and a pack of tinnies. Less basic than the author intended perhaps, but right up my street. A good book; a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant survival book!, 2 May 2013
P. Nightingale "Paula Nightingale" (Lowestoft UK) - See all my reviews
Important book to read in these times...wish I had bought a hard copy as kindle is easily forgotten to use as a handbook to take out etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 May 2014
This book is a brilliant read, with humour and honesty. The pictures are very good although I would like more. Must have book for all wild food enthusiasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 13 Mar 2014
This is a surprising little ebook. The author doesn't pretend to identify all of the plants although there are quite a few pictures in the book. I had Google Images open on search as I was reading and most of the plants were easily identifiable.
Amanda Rofe is obviously someone who cares about her environment and especially people. Her writing style is smooth and a pleasure to read.
As for the information contained therein:

I had no idea we had so many edible plants, one or two literally on our doorstep. Granted some of these might not be the kinds of tastes we are used to with our sterile supermarket fare but as Amanda says; the nutrients in wild, edible plants are fresh and natural and most of all free!

I recently started juicing and have seen the benefits to health and well being already and I shall be going out foraging for these readily-available plants to use in salads and juices.

Not sure I'm ready to go down the vegan route yet but Amanda doesn't force this upon you or preach.
I'm not sure about some of the advice (for example advising pregnant women to self-medicate or see a holistic healer rather than a GP) as though I agree we are, as a culture, far too dependent upon pharmaceuticals, medical science has and will continue to save millions of lives and I think we need a balance between natural and man-made medication. This is just my opinion.

However; I have cut most dairy out of my diet as well as refined flour and red meat and I am reaping the benefits health-wise.
To be able to harvest 'weeds' and eat them either as soups, accompaniments, salads or juice is a whole new avenue and as one for saving the pennies when I can - this book is a wonderful thing.

I'm keeping a border free for 'weeds' to see what comes up and what I can eat!
A very interesting and eye-opening book. Food for thought indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful reference book, 20 Jan 2014
Biker one "Cooperman" (Royal Leamington Spa, UK.) - See all my reviews
Under some circumstances eating from the wild could enhance your enjoyment of life. It could also be fatal. The book does contain cautionary info. Like telling you that Queen Ann's Lace is very similar to the poisonous Hemlock.
The book has convinced me not to go foraging without an expert.

4.0 out of 5 stars hungry ?, 24 April 2013
Informative and interesting, a good read but be careful if you want to eat anything sugested in case of your own error

5.0 out of 5 stars So Useful, 31 Mar 2013
F. Sherratt "tazzi" (UK) - See all my reviews
I use a good deal of wild plants in my cooking and homecare, but there are loads that I don't know so this is great

5.0 out of 5 stars Review on raw edible wild plants for the British Isles this review was done by iahras Ferguson Wallace, 26 Feb 2013
I found this book extremely helpful because i love to go out looking for new plants to eat so it helps to have some pictures of some plants included

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 16 Feb 2013