4.0 out of 5 stars Strange and satirical, but not dangerously so.
Published 11 months ago by Behan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good concept, bad ending
This book started off slowly, gathered pace through the middle, and then stopped abruptly. The end of the story made so little sense that I found myself checking to see if it was the start of a trilogy. It's not, it just leaves it hanging with the hint of possible sequels which, to my knowledge, never arrived. Shame really, as so much could have been done with the...
Published on 23 Dec 2003 by glawen_clattuc

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange and satirical, but not dangerously so., 13 May 2013
From the opening quote onward, this book, with its tiny humans and giant, inscrutable aliens, is begging for comparison to Gulliver's Travels, and it stands within a proud tradition of fantastical post-apocalypse SF, such as Hothouse, Non-Stop and Riddley Walker. All these stories use SF to examine Man by putting him in a new context, by making him small and savage and a stranger in a strange land.

Don't worry that this review is starting to read like an essay in comparative literature: This is an exciting afternoon's escapism, where men live like mice in the buildings of giant alien invaders, who regard humans as vermin. As seems inevitable in the eyes of SF writers, post-apocalyptic humanity has reverted to tribal barbarism and superstition; the story concerns a plucky young lad called Eric, who must find his way in this confusing world. It's terribly good fun and the sense of adventure and jeopardy kept me rolling through the pages: much like the Aldisses I mentioned, this is fiction first and speculation later.

As for the title, it's less a nod to Steinbeck, than to the Robert Burns ode. Ultimately, Tenn's humane view is that we are feeble, back-biting little parasites by nature, and the best we can do is embrace it, since our best laid plains gang SO aft agley.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deserves being called a classic, 28 April 2013
"Of Men and Monsters" is another novel that belongs in the classic category. It's not very difficult to see that William Tenn likes to turn things upside down. He is considered one of the foremost satirists of his generation and he is very good at making me think about mankind in a different way. Like all good satires, the ending is bizarre but at the same time believable, given the circumstances described. I've seen that others have found the book hilarious, but I can't say that I did. To me, "Of Men and Monsters" was more thoughtfully funny.

I couldn't help thinking of Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" (one of the most beautifully written books I've read) when I read the title. "Of Men and Monsters" is Tenn's only full-length novel. I read it one reading, not wanting to put it down. These old-timers were excellent writers.

In "Of Men and Monsters" the earth has been conquered by gigantic aliens (monsters). Humans have become vermin, living in the walls of the houses of these monsters living like mice, rats and cockroaches off the spoils of the monsters. One of the tribes of men calls itself Mankind. In Mankind lives a boy (soon to be man) called Eric the Only (single child). As part of his initiation as a man, Eric needs to go out into the Monster territory. As his journey progresses he finds betrayal, adventure and love.

People are treated pretty much as we treat our own lab animals. Experiment on them or kill them. Tenn also makes fun of the way people behave when their beliefs self-images are challenged. We pretty much see people behaving as people would, and there really is nothing funnier than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rats in the Walls, 12 April 2013
This is a nice little book, a future primitive tale that is actually a satire on humanity and our inflated view of ourselves. Sounds boring? It's not.

After being invaded by an alien species, what's left of humanity lives by becoming scavengers, literally rats in the walls. Despite this, they still dream of striking back and becoming the rulers of Earth once more.

The book explores the alien Earth through the eyes of Eric the Only, a newly-initiated male in the tribe of Mankind (all 128 of them). As well as living under the alien's dominion, he has to survive political and religious conflict among what's left of humanity.

It's not a large book, but it didn't need to be to tell its story. Unlike some, I don't a sequel was necessary, there was no doubt of what humanity's destiny would be.

I'm glad this one has been resurrected by the SF Masterworks imprint; it deserves to be read again and remembered.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Afternoons Read!!, 16 Dec 2012
Markie "marx1977" (hereandthere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What if hundreds of years from now Earth had been colonised by monstrous alien beings and mankind had been annihilated almost to the point of extinction? This is the premise of William Tenn's novel as the remnants of mankind eke out an existence living in burrows doing their best to survive on stolen alien goods. In amongst these is Eric The Only, a youth on the verge of manhood who after a conversation with his uncle begins to question the status quo and where mankind is indeed heading and becomes caught up in a futuristic clash of idealogies.
Action and intrigue abound in writing which moves at a brisk pace leaving the reader plenty to ponder as mankind edges towards total extinction through new alien technology and Eric's race to find a mysterious people who may offer salvation. All in all a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book I have read this year and highly recommended., 10 Dec 2012
I had never read any William Tenn before that I remember, although short fiction often flies by without the authors name being registered, but I have now added this name to my favourite authors list on the strength of this one w Orkney. I absolutely loved this. Some works just seem to hit a perfect note as this did with me. I am going to tell you nothing about it so don't look here for a plot review. If I could forget having read a book and get to read it again I would choose this one. So until I find another to please me more, and believe me I read a lot of SF, this is my current favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 19 July 2012
A. M. Warman (england) - See all my reviews
An entertaining book with thought provoking subject matter well worth a read for any SF fan . Personally id like to see a film made but that's just me

4.0 out of 5 stars Earth lies under the alien occupation, 6 Mar 2007
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Of Men and Monsters (Paperback)
This has one of the more memorable opening lines in Science Fiction ...

"Mankind consisted of 128 people."

Earth has been conquered by giant alien invaders who have almost exterminated humankind. The few survivors live primitive, barbaric lives in burrows, or hiding in the walls of the alien's dwellings. They live in fear of the new lords of the earth.

The author, William Tenn, wrote several short story collections but this is his only novel, and it deserves more recognition than it received.

4.0 out of 5 stars Putting Man In His Place, 26 Aug 2010
The clue, of course, is in the title, a steal from Steinbeck's `Of Mice and Men' and relevant in the sense that the place of the mice in the original title has been taken by men.
In this novel, following a sudden and devastating attack and invasion by `monsters', men are now in the place of mice, reduced to the status of parasitical vermin, living in the air pockets of the insulating material of monsters' houses.
The monsters are enormous brontosaurian creatures with a ring of prehensile tentacles around their necks which serves them as fingers.
The central figure is Eric, known as Eric the Only as he was born a singleton, rather than part of a larger litter. Eric is about to go on a rite of passage ritual to steal from the monsters, after which he becomes a man.
However, Eric soon finds himself caught up in a war of ideologies. His tribe believe that that they should be trying to recreate Ancestor Science in order to defeat the invaders while others (Eric's Uncle being one of them) believe that Man should be using Alien Science to fight the creatures.
Unbeknown to Eric on his quest, the chief has discovered his uncle's heresy and has called in reinforcements from neighbouring tribes to put down the rebels.
Eric is captured on his return but manages to escape and returns to the burrows of the Strangers. eventually he is captured by monsters who are experimenting with methods of extermination. Eric has heard tales of the Aaron people, a tribe far more advanced than his own `front-burrow' tribe. He is imprisoned with Aaron female and Ray the Runner from his old tribe. With her help they escape and manage to return to the Aaron people, and Eric is let in on the Aaaron People's secret plan.
It's a refreshing and welcome change to see humans reduced to existing as an inferior species, but nevertheless finding a means to adapt and survive. There's also a nod to the concept of sexual equality with Eric's feisty Aaron Lady preaching a form of feminism which doesn't go as far as it might have sadly, but is surely better than the simpering heroines of yesteryear.
It's a deceptively simple book which manages to illustrate the dangers of organised religion with its tendency toward fundamentalism, rigid dogma and inflexible rules, as well as overturning our arrogant notion of Humanity as masters of the universe. It is very likely, as Tenn suggests, that we are very very far from being anything of the sort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back in print? Wow!, 6 Dec 2000
GeoX "GeoX" (Men...Of...The...Sea!) - See all my reviews
Of course, what the world REALLY needs is a complete collection of Tenn's short fiction (he was never all that prolific, you know), but this'll do for now, I suppose. It's quite a good novel, I must say. Brilliantly imagined and implemented. I can't believe it's been out-of-print for so many years. I suppose (he said morbidly) that after Tenn dies, his work'll get a little more attention, and then perhaps we'll see his stuff easier to find, but until then we can do with this, I guess. It's his only novel, you know. Unfortunately. And he stopped writing in the seventies, which also kinda sucks. But, um, that's not really the point. Of Men and Monsters is good, and soon it'll be readily available, so read it, eh?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Swiftian Satirist, 15 Jan 2012
I discovered Tenn in my teens, and have rediscovered him in recent years. The sharpest and wittiest of all SF writers in my opinion, but largely forgotten because most of his work was short stories. Of Men and Monsters, his only full-length novel, is Tenn at his Swiftian best. I've blogged about him here: [...]

ARRAY(0xb156424c)