Published on 26 April 2010 by Numinous Ugo

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy!
Lovely album with Charles mostly on Hammond, with the Basie Orchestra and arrangements by Quincy Jones and Ralph Burns. BUT as another review points out, the transfer is dreadful, Hallmark should be ashamed! Muffled, distant and compressed, just awful.
I binned it and bought the DCC version which is excellent.
Published 1 month ago by John G

5.0 out of 5 stars The Genius of Ray Charles + The Genius of Impulse Records = Pure Magic, 26 April 2010
I had a couple of Ray Charles albums on CD with aload of the hit song, Hit the Road Jack, Mess Around, etc, and thought that would do me for Mr Charles. I then read the excellent The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records, by the rather brilliant Ashley Khan. I have, and have since aquired a number of Impulse albums. The first one I bought on vinyl was On Impulse by Sonny Rollins form the "Cheapo" rack Forbes Music Shop in Dundee. I always really liked that album and there was always something about the branding of Impluse that i really liked.

I decided I needed Genius + Soul = Jazz (1961) as it was the second album released on Impulse and thought it sounded like and interesting album with the half Quincey Jone arrangements and half Ralph Burns arrangements. This package, however, also contains My Kind of Jazz (1970) and Jazz Number II (1972) both originally released on the another ABC label Tangerine. The package is rounded off with My Kind of Jazz Part 3 which was released on Ray Charles own Crossover label. The musc throughout is excellent.

The fact that this has been release in the US and not UK is an irrelevance when it is so relatively straightforward and cheap to order this via Amazon Marketplace.

I recommend this to any Ray Charles fan. This is really Soul/R&B with some mild jazz flavouring but that is the beauty of Ray Charles, he wasn't too interested in conforming to genre. The attempts to fit him into various genres was really a marketing ploy, not his idea at all, but it more often paid off that not and here is does and how.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy!, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Genius + Soul = Jazz (Audio CD)
I binned it and bought the DCC version which is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 11 Feb 2013
M. Smith (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genius + Soul = Jazz (Audio CD)
Bought this for a Ray Charles fan who absolutely loves it and would definitely recommend to other Ray Charles fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Ray but not this one, 31 Oct 2012
This review is from: Genius + Soul = Jazz (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Ray Charles but the quality of the recording on this CD is terrible I though my hi-fi had major problem when I first put the CD on. It's a very muffled sound quality, and worst of all Ray only sing on 2 of the tracks. There are much better recording of Ray Charles so go for one of those.

2.0 out of 5 stars lousy transfer of a SUPERB album, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Genius + Soul = Jazz (Audio CD)
I have this on LP and bought the CD for the car. I have numerous CD transfers of (mainly classical) albums dating back to the 1930s - this one sounds compressed, muffled and unbelievably boring. Very little of the music's excitement and energy gets through. What a shame.
Just to be clear: this is one of the great Ray Charles albums. The music is worth 5 stars, the transfer minus 1, so average... two!

Genius + Soul = Jazz
Genius + Soul = Jazz by Ray Charles (Audio CD - 2012)