VINE VOICEon 3 September 2012
This book goes through a series of examples that cover a wide range of Arduino tasks. If you have never done any programming before, I would say this book is not for you, unless you want to use one of the examples "almost off the shelf".

However, if you are an experienced programmer in other fields who wants to try their hand with an Arduino, this book is perfect.l I read through the book in one evening and found that I was completely confident in how the Arduino environment all fitted together. I was able to get into my project the next day, initially starting off by modifying a couple of the examples.

Get this book and give the Arduino a try. If you also enjoy working with sensors and basic electronics, you'll have a ball!
on 17 September 2012
Teaching programming using "toy" languages is both popular and effective. The Arduino is well-suited
for this purpose - students who are too old to steer a turtle around a screen and consider themselves
too old to play with lego will still engage with programming leds to flash and stepper motors to move.

I was disappointed with this book but only because it wasn't quite what I expected. As a programmer, I was
looking for a guide to the Arduino. In fact, this is an excellently written guide to programming, and application
to the Arduino is secondary. The book leads the reader through a series of progressively more complicated programming
exercises, explaining what each line does and why the program is put together in that particular way. Different kinds of variables,
types and control structures are introduced gently and well. Embedded programming concepts such timing are discussed at an appropriate
level.

I would highly recommend this book to someone who wanted to teach themselves programming, and prefers to see the results
of their programs come to life through hardware than through text on a screen. It would also be good as a supplement to
a taught course introducing programming using the Arduino.

All of the many exercises in the book are available for free download, but if you are using the book I recommend you type them in yourself
anyway.

This should not be considered an in-depth reference guide to either programming or the Arduino.
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2013
I originally bought this to put on my new Kindle, where upon it immediately proved to me that standard Kindles and any technical books containing graphics and images just simply do not go together. All I will say about the Kindle version is avoid it like the plague as the images are unreadable and going back and forward between pages results in random jumps in the text.

Then - joy of joys - they released it as a proper book in paperback.

So I bought it, still hoping it was going to be a good book but almost instantly I started reading it, my hopes that it would be better than the Kindle version were dashed.

The main reasons are the large number of quite basic errors, mistakes and serious omissions the book contains.

For example the author states that the COM port on a Windows PC is always COM3. Now I am at a loss to understand where he gets that idea from. I can only assume he's never plugged his own Arduino UNO into any PC. This particular error really rankled with me as it just simply totally incorrect.

Being that the UNO has an on-board USB port, the Windows PC to which it is connected will allocate a suitable COM port number upon the connection being successfully made. The PC will also allocate a different COM port to a different UNO when connected. I have several UNOs (as well as MEGAs, NANOs and MINIs)and their ranges are from COM9 to COM30! It will then remember that port for that particular board too.

There are also errors which appear to be due to a severe lack of efficient proof reading. One annoying example is stating that the long data type has the range of 2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647.
A range of 1?
I think not as it should have been -2,147,483,647.

Am I being picky? I think not since this is a technical education book and these sort of errors should not get into print especially as this is a 'getting started' book.

Then there the sweeping comments such as appear in the Maths function section. Under the functions "sin, cos, tan" the statement "Perform trigonometric functions. They are not often used." is made.
What a ridiculous assumption. Simply because the author doesn't use them is no reason to make such a sweeping generalisation about major mathematical terms.

Then there's the LOOP() function which although used from early on in the book doesn't get a definitive mention until page 77!

I was also disappointed overall by the way the book jumps about through topics without being overly clear about many of them. Introducing the IF command without introducing the ELSE command at the same time is really ensuring that the fullest use of the IF command is not achieved.

The book feel like one that could have been and should have been several hundred impressive pages long but that was hacked about mercilessly finally arriving at the stunted and unimpressive form that it is today.

Everything is often too curt and often too uninformative. How you can expect to squeeze useful information on using LCDs into 5 pages is beyond me when barely explaining how to use them is crazy.

I know this called "Getting started with sketches" but so much of importance is either ignored, skirted round or simply of no use to a new Arduino programmer.

And I would hardly call the SETUP and LOOP functions as boilerplate code as that is defined as any text that is or can be reused in new contexts or applications without being greatly changed from the original. Totally wrong in the case of the Arduino IDE.

So no, I'm afraid that this book simply does not succeed as it should. If there are other editions in the pipeline then PLEASE make sure that they help the newcomer and not leave them with more questions than at the outset.
on 10 July 2014
The book I read to research this post was Programming Arduino Getting Started With Sketches by Simon Monk which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. This book which is somewhat brief is a guide to programming the Arduino in C. It is normally programmed via a computer and there is an optional LCD screen you can buy for the Arduino. It is more suited to controlling stuff than the Raspberry Pi although is compatible with less programming languages but is more ruggedly constructed. The Arduino is open source so its specifications are freely available and many manufacturers make similar boards with names like the Boarduino and Lilypad. The Arduino name is trademarked and most people doing projects want the genuine article. Sometimes these similar boards are more suited to certain tasks like the Lilypad is most suited to electronics projects connected to being implanted in clothing and is so called because the board is surrounded in a circular fashion with sensors which resemble a flower. You will probably need a basic multimeter to work with an Arduino to identify its various power connector which are at several different voltages. The Arduino can detect adjustable readings in something like amps or volts which is something the Raspberry Pi can't do. I did really enjoy this book but it doesn't go into enough detail about C and programming it. I think C is a difficult programming language and if you intend using it you will probably have to read additional books.
on 28 November 2012
This book is good place to start with Ardunio the example's are based on the Ardunio Uno but will work with other Ardunio's as well. Both Software and Hardware are described in great detail. So you should have a LED blinking in matter off minutes after installing the software and drivers for the Ardunio then you can work through the other examples eg getting the Blink rate off the LED change or fade to some outside enviromental change eg Temprature or Light to sum up it is good begginers guide to the Ardunio once you have the basics mastered you can move on to more advanced books
on 26 May 2012
Good starter for PROGRAMMING info for Arduino, for example if you have a book or two of projects but want a BRIEF programming reference. Not absolutely necessary, but nice "Icing on the cake" to enjoy.
on 15 August 2014
Well written leads you into the black art of programming gently. The small format is nice to take on a long trip in your large pocket. lots of pictures to make sure you understand the text. not difficult to read considering this is a reference book. All you need for writing programmes for your Arduino. I would recommend this book Highly.
on 24 June 2014
I found this a good introduction to programming the Arduino, the explanations are clear but sometimes assuming your grasp or previous knowledge is better than it is; this is nit-picking as I progressed well and he does advise getting the Werth 'C' bible if you want to dig deeper. Anyway, it was worth the investment.
on 5 February 2014
I know a bit of programming but get muddled easily by poor examples as I usually make things out to be more complex than they actually are. Well this book and style of wiriting is perfect for me as it delivers the basics and explains WHY you are doing something rather than the usual - follow this and hope it works. Simon has actually put together an excellent and concise series of steps which build towards quite an advanced set of tools. Within 2 days with my Arduino I'd actually modified my own programs which worked first time and finally felt like I'd properly understood what I've tried to pick up from other programming manuals.
It's laid out well so you can dip in and use it as almost as a reference manual - and the best part is he emphasises that every programmer tackles a program differently, and as long as it does what you set out then you are doing it right.
Really pleased I bought this.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2013
Got a board? No idea what to actually do with it? Wonder what all these bits on the board are for and do? Then this book will get you started nicely. This is my 1st Arduino Duo board and this book is a god send with explaining what the parts are and how they work. The drawings are black and white so you need a decent light to see them clearly but that in my opinion is the only down side. It contains a good amount of programs for you to start playing with this board.. but even better than that.. there is a website address on the back of this book where the author has written all this code that's in the book on a web page, so for those of you are not confident in writing computer programs into the Arduino, you can simply copy and paste from the website! Great start to learning Arduino. Recommended,
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse