Colour Name: Black|Change
Price:£47.68

on 13 December 2012
A good modem/router for average users.
Pros: Auto detection of your internet settings on set up; wireless broadcast strength can be adjusted; allows day to day scheduling of when wireless broadcast; comes preset with a good password so is secure out of the box; allows instant connection of suitably enabled devices using a button on the front of the modem; parental controls available.
Cons: Did not come with a stand so lies flat (but can be wall mounted) (no screws supplied); auto set up did not work for me first time, had to set up manually but then the auto setup worked when I tried again later; did not come with full instruction book, so had to download it from a website.

I have just received this from my internet service provider as I wanted to convert from a wired connection to a wireless network in preparation to getting a tablet computer and possibly an e book reader. It was quick to set up and has got some good features such as transmitting power reduction and scheduling, but there may be issues with the auto detection of internet settings. Security is good as it comes preset with a random looking password key (which your devices need to connect), but it's recommended to change this anyway. The password to the router itself is obvious and definitely needs changing straight away. It did not come with a stand so has to be laid flat unless you wall mount it. In the box was the router/modem with a separate power supply, a cable to connect to the computer and a cable to go between your phone socket and the router; and a couple of filters for the phone line. The modem has an on/off switch at the back. It was easy to physically set up using the quick set up guide enclosed. Upon launching my internet browser and entering the router URL in the address bar, I was welcomed to the router set up screen and prompted to change the router password which I did. It then prompted for set up wizard or manual set up, I opted for the wizard (best for first time set up) and it prompted me for my internet username and password. It then said it was auto detecting my internet settings, (it may help to switch off your computer firewall temporarily to help this process). It then stated that it could not detect the settings. When I went to manual set up I noticed that it was in fact set correctly (I know this because I have them all written down for events like this). The router is now working fine I have only tried the wireless with my mobile phone so far, the connection seems fine, I have tried it in all the rooms of my smallish house. I think the router is for light users because the word 'lite' appears in the product conformity certificate next to the serial number, that's fine for me because I'm not a gamer and i'm going to be the only internet user in my house. There are some good features: There is a button on the front which allows quick connection for devices which are suitably equipped; It's possible to reduce the transmitter power so you don't have to broadcast your signal around the entire street; it is also possible to schedule the router to switch the wireless broadcast on and off at set times on each day of the week, this may be handy if you need to leave the router switched on all the time but would like to save some energy. It's possible to change the wireless password key in manual set up but it's not obvious unless you are familiar with routers.
on 6 January 2013
My old broadband router stopped working, I then did lots of research to see which one I should get to replace it with. I saw lots that were £50 + and then I saw this one for half that and I have to say that it is just as good and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.
on 24 December 2012
I have tried most makes of routers and found that Zyxel gives the best speed for my Talk Talk broadband. This router seems to have increased the speed once again. Would recommend this router for Talk Talk
on 4 May 2013
I changed my ISP and this was the free router they supplied. I decided to get a Netgear for assumed better performance. The Zyxel arrived first so set it up (easy) and was happy with the speeds but expected even better when I set up the Netgear (nightmare) which arrived a week later. The speeds dropped immediately the Netgear was connected. I gave it a few days to settle down but it was slow in comparison. Swapped over the routers and instantly had noticeably improved speeds with the Zyxel which was confirmed with BT speed checker over several days. Great value for a brilliant product.
on 21 August 2013
Fairly easy to set-up and however we've had to stop using them on sites using VoIP as it caused a lot of dropped calls.
on 27 August 2013
Purchased this to replace a problematic Netgear DG834,and so far I'm pretty happy with it considering the bargain price. The only area where the Netgear is superior is the wireless signal strength, but changing radio frequences helped. But most importantly I no longer get the network connection drop-outs, I was experiencing from the Netgear. Although to be fair the Netgear had given me 3 years of reliable service until recently.
EDIT 4 November 2015: The router is well into its third year now and still giving reliable service.

This was a replacement for an identical ZyXel router/modem that lasted only 23 days before failing to find a broadband signal on a telephone line that was proven OK. It had dipped-out and recovered a couple of times before that.

Why did I replace it with the identical model? Well, this is the router/modem supplied by my Internet Service Provider as its entry-level item; it is a reputable company (better than most), so presumably hasn't had a lot of trouble with it. And it's a neat little unit that does all that I need it to do; simple wi-fi around the house, and the occasional direct link by Ethernet cable. So I gave ZyXel a second chance.

It comes with all the extras the first time user is likely to need, i.e. power cable and plug/transformer, telephone line connector, Ethernet cable and two ADSL filters. Once you've been through a few routers, you find you have quite a few spares of all the extras. Of the ADSL filters in particular, it is always good to have at least one new/unused spare as the first thing you will be told to do if you complain about the incoming telephone line is to take the router/modem back to the master socket in your house and connect it (the router/modem) through a new/unused filter. In that circumstance, I once paid £15 to get a new filter in a hurry. Hideous!

The router/modem has four Ethernet ports and it comes with a diagram showing the unit serving IPTV, video, IP telephone and an in-house network storage unit. So it can, apparently, go well beyond my own very basic needs.

It has a couple of screw slots in its base. I have mounted it on a wall, about 30 inches above the power and telephone outlets, so there are no trailing leads. It seems happy with that, but could equally stand on a shelf or table top.

Unlike the original, which I was given by someone who had owned it for a couple of years but not put it into use, if this one should fail within its warranty period (two years) I will be looking for a free replacement. If it gets through the warranty period but fails shortly thereafter, no doubt I will be trying something different - and adding a note here to say so.
on 19 October 2014
Stopped working after 18 months when I unplugged it to decorate. It wouldn't turn back on. Comes with 2 year warranty and I contacted Zyxel. They sent me another within two weeks no quibble! Worth 5 stars but lost a star for the early break down. Faultless until that point.
on 31 May 2013
Quick and easy to install. So far so good, reliable and good value. Seems to provide better performance than my previous router which was much more expensive.
on 27 September 2014
Could never get my PC to see it, Replaced it for a netgear and my PC found it immediately

See one answered question