5.0 out of 5 stars John and John to run for president., 30 Dec 2001
This review is from: Mink Car (Audio CD)
If there was any justice in this cruel world, John and John of They Might Be Giants fame would be presidents of the world, and the universe would be a peaceful, happy place indeed...
The UK release of Mink Car is sadly bereft of 5 tracks included in the US version, but we gain 2 humdingers in the form of Boss of Me and Your Mom's Alright (making it worth your while buying the UK format). Taken as a whole, the sound-scape of the UK release is more balanced, and less kooky than its original (not necessarily a good or bad thing)... I guess the promoters are hoping that this album will see TMBG breaking the UK market; evidently they were erring on the cautious side... If you have money to burn, then buy both albums so that John F and John L can make money to burn!
They Might Be Giants can do no wrong and Hopeless Bleak Despair is one of their most uplifting songs to date!

4.0 out of 5 stars They ARE Giants!!, 26 July 2002
S. J. Palmer "elpeevio" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mink Car (Audio CD)
I ordered this album with some trepidation - I have been a fan for eons (before even Flood and Birdhouse), but to be honest the last few albums have disappointed. And then "Man It's So Loud in Here Started"....and I thought "Oh my, this is terrible". And then I heard it again and again - and it is now one of my favourite songs ever - a wonderful witty eurodisco masterpiece. The rest of the album is pretty good - certainly their best all round album since "Flood". However my Girlfriend hates it - but my 3 month old Daughter loves it - be warned!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nerdish Duo Triumph Again !!, 1 Nov 2001
J. Hughes (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mink Car (Audio CD)
Let's declare an interest here. I've been a Giants addict ever since I saw Birdhouse on TOTP in 1990. It amazes me that they remain so obscure as they have the lot :- melodies to die for, strange lyrics that genuinely make you think and, well who needs anything more ? My 11 year old daughter Kate loves the songs as much as I do.
If there was any justice there would be at least 3 top 10 singles from the collection.
Two are John Linnell specials."Bangs" (a celebration of a haircut would you believe?)is classic Giants -quirky and melodic and "Its So Loud In Here" (perhaps my favourite)is superbly arranged and a wry comment on modern commercial design.
John F does a superb version of the Georgie Fame classic "Yeh Yeh" which should be fantastic if you see them live in the UK in November at selected venues.
The only reason it fails to get the full 5 stars is that some of the songs have been released before (Older,Edith Head,Working Undercover) which is a bit of a let-down.
Also,perhaps some of the Linnell songs do sound initially like re-treads of earlier songs, but bear with it - after a few listens you cannot get them out of your head.
If you're new to their charms I envy you. Start with this and work backwards to the wonderful "Flood". Enjoy !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "They" Do it again., 21 Sep 2001
This review is from: Mink Car (Audio CD)
The new They Might Be Giants album "Mink Car" is already a classic. It's 17 tracks of pure bliss. Songs like "Bangs" and "Another First Kiss" are pop gold and oh so sweet. Mike Doughty is featured on "Mr. Xcitement" and it's an Xcellent dose of Soul Coughing and TMBG. TMBG's revival of Grant, Patrick, and Hendricks classic "Yeh Yeh" is awesome and will make you want to take to the dance floor with your lady or man. I can't go on about every track (though I could). Cyclops Rock, Man, It's so Loud in Here, I've got a Fang, and all the other tracks are spectacular. After one play their hooks will suck you in. I recommend this album to the avid fan, casual listener, or someone who is saying "Who are They?"... They Might Be Giants - Mink Car

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding out what I'd missed, 24 Jun 2010
GNN (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mink Car (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to complete my set of TMBG mainstream releases. This was a period when I lost sight of the band, and I now know what I was missing. This is a good album, and marks a turning point for the Johns, signposting their career since this release.

Highlights for me are "My Man", an intriguing perspective on paralysis, "Man it's so Loud in Here", which reminds me of the Sparks / Moroder collaborations (No.1 Song In Heaven, etc.), and the title track which features retro cheesy trumpets accompanying a song which subverts the lounge genre with odd lyrics typical of TMBG.

This album isn't for everyone - just as the band isn't to everyone's tastes. However, for intelligent self-aware pop music, I believe that TMBG are the finest band in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever!, 31 Dec 2001
This review is from: Mink Car (Audio CD)
This album, I think is the best ever- it has a gorgeous straight love song (another first kiss) and some very amusing new effects, like the 80s disco or medival instruments. Boss of Me is a nice little grower, and there are a few of the much loved "Linnel by numbers" school of songs. Also a nice bit of swing on Mink car (I was gagging for more after actual size).

Mink Car