on 15 April 2006
When a child, I remember that my mother had an older edition of this cookbook which my brothers and I used to look through and choose our birthday cakes from every year. We loved the cakes, all of which are reproduced in this more up to date book, now appearing more colourful and just as yummy looking as ever.

This new edition is fantastic value, containing easy to follow recipes for lots and lots of cakes.

If you have young children and like to make you own cakes for their birthdays (and home made cakes always taste better!), you will not find a book with as many simple recipes as this one. I find the Australian women's weekly cookbooks really helpful and down to earth. The cakes vary from super quick and simple to more time and consuming and elegant (and even these are relatively easy).

Most recipes use everyday confectionary which is easy to get hold of in your local supermarket - there are barely any ingedients that you will find difficult to obtain.

I have given this book 5 stars for its easy, accessible style and simple to make cakes which really do taste good and look impressive for both children and adults. There are great categories of cakes, including seperate ones for boys and girls, and also number cakes which can be adapted and personalised for all birthdays (not just children's!)

I highly recommend this book, for cakes to make and also as a reference for inspiration!!!
on 29 June 2008
This was the first book I bought before starting classes in cake decorating. Although I am more advanced now I found I could acheive really good results with this book when I had limited skills and knowledge. They are simple enough to do when you have young children around that want to help. My grandchildren all helped decorate their own birthday cakes chosen from this book, we started with the pirate ship with chocolate bar gang planks. Although sometimes you have to be a little inventive and substitute some of the sweets that are not readily available here, part of the fun is thinking up alternatives to use in the planning stage with the children, and they were very good at coming up with ideas of what to use instead.
on 1 February 2009
This really is well worth the money at £4.89.
An excellent mix and choice of designs - children will LOVE them.
Cannot really add more to the other reviewers BUT have to reply to one posted 11th October 2008 -

I have over 50 cakes books! Don't expect to find every cake you are after or will ever need in one book!

Someone profficient in decorating cakes would realize this is is a birthday cake book aimed at the the everyday mum/ grandma (even dads) baking birthday cakes for their families. If you are only after inspiration then thumb through the bookstores/internet/mags! The cakes in the book offer differing levels of difficulty but achievable by all! Some people may produce better results than others. but who cares? The children certainly don't!! These are fun and no child could ever be disappointed.

Cannot understand why you say butter icing is too messy for children? Either you have never tried it - or change to another recipe then!!

The first ever birthday cake I baked was the good old 'hedgehog' covered in buttercream with choc spikes back in 1968. Buttercream icing has always been the more popular choice instead of the traditional Mary Ford classics with the piping bag! Modelling icing wasn't really that commercial or known then either.
on 2 February 2004
Good rating though there are some books out there far more advanced and impressive. This book gives you ideas while you are checking it out and also the cakes look delicious, especially for a small kid who need to feast its eyes on a simplier design easy enough to understand and good enough to eat! But depending on the age of the children you have to exchange the non eatable decorations to candy etc. Well worth the money.
on 15 June 2009
Was recommended this book by my sister. It has lots of great reviews and it is definately worth the money. It has also been reprinted several times due to popularity.

If you need help to create cakes for your kids birthdays this is the book. The only problem I found is finding substitute sweets so I have often deviated from the recipe. The train cake can be changed to make a great Thomas the Tank Engine.
on 12 September 2013
This book is brilliant to give ideas for children's birthday cakes, but the recipes given are for pre-made 'buttercake mix' which I assume is an Australian product. I'm sure we have something similar however (i'm not much of a baker!).

There is a section that converts the buttercake mix to traditional ingredients but in my opinion, its certainly not good for quick reference!
on 12 April 2012
I remember growing up and being able to choose the cake I wanted every year for my birthday and my Mum making it for me. So, I bought this updated edition so that I could share the same pleasure with my children. I love the wonderful choice of cakes in this book. The instructions are easy to follow (even for an average baker like me) although my creations don't come out looking quite the same as the pictures (but close enough to make the connection!).

I purchased the Kindle version (to use on an IPAD) and I must say that it's not as easy for a child flicking through and being able to drool over the cakes. The photos were at the end of the recipe (not the start). It really could do with a summary of all the photos at the start and an easier way of navigating recipes.
on 30 April 2014
I can't understand the reviews here I bought this as the ratings were good I would say I'm intermediate at cakes but this is just so old fashioned and not written very well to follow if I could have given zero I would have it is now listed on ebay
on 28 April 2011
I was disappointed with this book. While there are some nice designs, they use packet cake mixes and being an Australian book the listed brand is not available in the UK. I grew up with the original version of this book and it is much better, with bespoke 'from scratch' recipes for each individual cake. While packet mixes work for some, for me if you are going to go to the effort of making such an elaborate cake for your child's birthday, you may as well make the cake as well! This book does have some 'from scratch' recipes at the back which you can substitute for packet mixes (and we did this) but I would advise that the cake be made and eaten the same day if this is the option chosen as the cake was not nearly as nice a day later.
on 12 October 2011
I love all the Australian Womens Weekly cookbooks and my mum even used the earlier b'day cake cookbooks for me as a child. Great ideas but need to improvise with decorations as obviously made with Australian sweets.