Style Name: Standard|Change

I've installed this in a Dell Dimension 3100 along with a new copy of W7 and a new Radeon graphics card as an upgrade from the old 320GB drive, XP and the old MB graphics.

It is significantly faster in use than the original drive, and has about the same acceptably low level of acoustic noise. At a claimed 150MBytes/s host to/from drive (sustained) data transfer rate this WD10EZRX is the fastest of all the current WD Green drives even if not the biggest. The rotational speed is chosen using the IntelliPower algorithm to maximise transfer rate in all parts of the disk while minimising errors.

It fitted into the original 'clip-in' drive caddy with no problems, and plugged into the machine as normal.

The drive initialised and formatted correctly under the control of the W7 DVD and tested out OK with no errors. It runs cooler to the touch than the original did.

I've restored all the previous data from the backup, and now keep the old drive untouched in the packing the WD came in as an emergency spare with XP and all the old software and data 'just in case'.

It is still looking good after almost a fortnight in service. I'll report if there are any problems, but based on previous experience with these I expect it should be OK for a few years now.

Addendum. 13th October 2013
Added another of these to the same computer because the first one has proved to be excellent. This is for more flexibility with the editing so that all the big data files are kept on a separate D: work drive with its own distinct external mirror back up, thus leaving the C: drive with all the system files and programs relatively unstressed for longest life.
on 29 January 2013
I bought this primarily because of price and because the reviews were a little more favourable than some other well known makes. I normally buy Seagate drives but, the warranty with this drive is (I think) 2 years instead of Seagate's reduced 1 year warranty.

I have to say that I am very happy with this purchase. Acronis True Image (WD download) made it an easy job to clone the old disc and Windows Disk Management allowed me to easily extend the System partition (originally the whole of the C: drive). With 1TB to play with I also took the opportunity to create a few extra partitions (for music, videos, pictures, etc).

This drive is extremely quiet and gets barely warm. I even think it has speeded up my start-up time.

So far this was a very worthwhlie and cheap upgrade. Incidentaly, this drive was extremely well packaged by Amazon.
on 31 August 2012
Very good product, I have installed this in a Humax Foxsat HD receiver. No problems so far and very quiet! (Even better than the one I took out!)
on 3 July 2012
As this was my first build i read loads of reviews and then basically stick a pin into my short list. Married up to my other purchases from Amazon it works a treat.
Gigabyte SKT-FM1 A75-UD4H Motherboard
AMD A-Series A8 3870K Black Edition Quad-Core Processor (3.00 GHz, 4MB Cache, Socket FM1, 100W, Radeon HD6550D
The only mistake I made was not allowing more space in the first partion of the hard drive. Thankfully I found a smashing bit of freeware (MiniTool Partition Wizard) that allowed me to alter the partion. Compared to my old dell Dimmension C521 it goes like a rocket.
on 14 March 2013
I have had this drive for a month now, installation was basically plug and play, but when I checked the serial number on the WD website. The drive came up, out of warranty.
Now this isn't a real issue to me as I have all the WD tools anyway from another drive I have. But it would cause some people who want to test their drive before committing masses of data to it a real issue.
I tested mine, it passed every test, no damaged sectors, it passed stress testing. In all a great drive, well packaged, but it doesn't get the 5 stars it deserves because of the warranty problem. However, you do get the warranty from the supplier and I am sure they will honour all claims
on 19 November 2012
I plugged it into the PC. I added it to a Windows 7 Raid volume. It worked. I even messed about creating Raid 0, Raid 1, Raid 5 and 10 volumes using the hardware RAID controller from Intel and the software RAID controller in Windows 7.

I know some folk need the very best performance and can test this. All I can say is that for heavy home use it doesn't hold back the overall system. My Windows 7 machine is a media centre recording both Freesat HD and Freeserve and distributing this HD content over a 100Mbps Ethernet card to a 1 Gbps Ethernet switch and onto devices around the house.

I liked it so much that I bought another.
on 12 October 2012
I have recently built a really nice gaming PC. The thing is, I loved the silent SSD, but needed serious space for doing game-play capture. I'm involved in the beta test for Planetside 2, so recording game-play was essential for supporting bug reports with some footage. My PC is also a Shuttle PC, tucked behind my TV in my front room. (My PC room became a nursery last year!) I didn't want to spoil the silent setup with a noisy high-performance drive.

This HDD is perfect. I have yet to hear a single rumble from it, it uses very little power (important for SFF PCs) and handles high quality video capture with ease.

It also came in excellent wrapping unlike another reviewer. It was wrapped in something a bit like an inflatable lilo! It could have survived a serious drop. I was very impressed with it.
on 1 December 2012
Upgraded my Foxsat 320gb with this took about 15 mins Briliant
Bought £10 hard drive case to transfer over progs does the job ok
but takes ages to copy over
on 21 November 2014
I bought this to replace a five year old version in a NAS box, which had failed well before its expected average lifetime. It happens, I suppose, but the data was mirrored on the NAS so nothing was lost (as per design!). Yes, I know that "green" drives are now not recommended for NAS use, but that wasn't the wisdom at the time when I installed them. In my experience of buying hard drives (lots of them) since 1987, I'd say that WD have definitely been the least reliable brand, but at least in a mirrored NAS you stand minimal chance of losing anything important so it's perfectly ok to take the risk with them (as they're cheap). I only bought like-for-like, by the way, as I've recently upgraded to a much more modern NAS setup and wanted to avoid potential compatibility problems on the older box, which has now been relegated to "secondary backup" status.
on 22 May 2013
Received this beast yesterday. Had it up and running in my pc in no time.

Copied my previous hdd image using Acronis True Image Western Digital Edition (free from WD website - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&lang=en ), which took about an hour.

Previously I had been using an old 7200 rpm 500 caviar / 16mb cache which was starting to suck especially for multitasking.

Get this drive if:

*Want to save power - runs at 3 watt rather than the conventional 6 watt.
*Moderate multitasking - 64mb cache helps with the read / write speeds
*Need it for backup / storing vast amount of files

Don't if:
*Need top fps for games / hardcore gamer - it runs at 5400 rpm, NOT 7200 which may impact upon performance (read / write speeds).

Quality build, just what I need - cant fault it.