‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking me back, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
The latest in a fantastic series of CDs reissuing the soundtrack to my youth from my favourite label of the time. All tracks are the original cuts - mostly mono, but a few stereo coming in by '61 from the bigger studios. Most of the tracks are familiar to me, but there are a few that I missed first time round. At 50 tracks for these prices, every one should have the whole set in their collection! A friend of mine says he likes the grungy sound of vinyl singles, but to me the chance of hearing them clearly on CD is unmissable. I suppose we have to wait until next January for 1962 under the 50-year rule!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just nostalgia? No - great music., 22 May 2013
Clive Harvey (Weybridge, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
Some critics say nostalgia is a bad thing because it tempts us to live in the past. There is a danger of that, no doubt, but as one who is quite happy in the present I freely admit to being a sucker for a regular wallow in nostalgia - particularly musical nostalgia. The music that excites you as a child or adolescent tends to lodge in your soul and I love being transported back by the sounds that turned me on to music and made me want to be a musician. The London American Story: 1961 contains 50 tracks, almost all of which I love because of nostalgia for my youth, yes, but also because it's great pop music. I already have many of these tracks on vinyl and although I still possess a good quality turntable and sound system I love the sheer convenience of having them all together on CD.
This is a nice package. The tracks are remastered on two CDs and mostly sound great (although on my system I did think a few sounded a tad bass-heavy). The musical content takes some beating. From the first Motown hit, Shop Around by The Miracles, to the classic rock'n'roll of Eddie Cochran and Jerry Lee Lewis, the soul of Ben E. King and New Orleans R&B of Fats Domino, you can't want for variety. There are great instrumentals too from Sandy Nelson, The Ramrods, Johnny & The Hurricanes, a couple from guitar ace Duane Eddy and the slightly lame but loveable Stick Shift by The Duals. There's quality, if conventional, neat teen pop from the Bobbys Vee and Darin and Johnny Burnette alongside the unconventional, groundbreaking sounds of Roy Orbison, Gene Pitney, Del Shannon and the wonderfully haunting The Mountain's High by Dick & Dee Dee.
I won't bother naming the very few tracks I could do without, but I will rather cheer at the many personal favourites that are here: Rick Nelson's Hello Mary Lou, Orbison's Running Scared and the fabulous doo-wop version of Once In A While by The Chimes. Has nostalgia got the better of me? I don't think so - this is great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
1961 what a year, the music on this collection brings back memories of the summer I left school
I play this collection once a month, it brings happy times when we did not have a care in the world

5.0 out of 5 stars London American Story 1961, 19 July 2012
R. Shaw "Ronboy" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
The London label was the label you first looked at when you went into a record shop in the 50's & early 60's. On this 2 CD collection you find some of the best releases from the Decca owned label. If you want the whole collection start with 1956 and work up. At the price you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'ONE OF A VERY INTERESTING SERIES OF MEMORIES FROM - (BARGAIN PRICE), 5 Nov. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
Released around 3-4 years back this really was and remains a significant music collection from
the late 50's and early 60's Rock/Pop-era portraying some of the great sounds of those times
from the ever popular American-Music-Scene, this one of course 1961.
The 2-CD Compilation certainly reflects the music we used to listen too back then, memories
indeed.
As is often the case i do believe from memory some of the tracks were in fact B-Sides, not that
it's a real issue, the flip-sides were often as good as the 'A-Side' and as i've mentioned before,
when many of us were just starting out with our 'vinyl' collections we did often listen too both
tracks.
I'll just highlight a few memories from each of the CD's to give a flavour of what can be found
among the play list.........disc one..........'Duane Eddy' --'Pepe'........'The Ramrods' --'Raiders in
the Sky'.......'The Drifters' --'I Count the Tears'........'Bobby Vee' --'More Than I Can Say'........
'The Velvets' --'That Lucky Old Sun'........'Roy Orbison' --'Running Scared'........and........'Ricky
Nelson' --'Hello Mary Lou'.......Just a few of the many memories that can be found on disc one
....on disc two.......'Johnny and the Hurricanes' --'High Voltage'.......'Del Shannon' --'Hats Off To
Larry'.......'Roy Orbison' --'Crying'......'Bobby Vee' --'The Night Has a Thousand Eyes'........'Curtis
Lee' --'Under the Moon of Love'........'Gene McDaniels' --'Tower of Strength' (of course 'Frankie
Vaughan' had the hit in the U.K with that one)........and........'Bobby Darin' --'Multiplication'.......
again just some of the great sounds of 1961 that can be found on disc two....
Some of the numbers arn't instantly recognisable, that is, until you play them, the memories just
come flooding back.
Obviously you'll notice artists such as 'Roy Orbison' - 'Bobby Vee' and 'The Drifters' for instance
featured a few times on-board.......thinking about it these were some of the leading lights that we
often listened to back then, this album is currently available on 'Amazon' for just £4.99.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL WORTH BUYING, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
We love this album, all originals and the quality is excellent. This is one of a set we have ranging back to 1957 and I would recommend them to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The London American Story 1961, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
Another excellent collection of songs from the past. It was good hearing songs that brought back happy memories. Also you could understand the words that the artists were singing.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories are made of hits, 11 May 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
this album brings back many memories of those 45/s on my dansette player how lucky we were to live through this wonderfull music great sound quality my personal favourite is THIS TIME by the under rated TROY SHONDELL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldenoldies, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
Great value for money.Tracks on this disc I thought I would never hear again,but here they are. Takes me back to my early teenage days.Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Age of Rock & Roll, 7 Mar. 2012
Mr. Brian S. Adsett (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The London American Story 1961 (Audio CD)
London American were the most successful label of the rock & roll golden years. There are so many great tracks on this CD. It brings back great memories of my teenage years. Buy it & see how good rock & roll is. It features many of the great rock stars & some less well known artists who only had one or two hits but played an important part in these years of rock & roll.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The London American Story 1961
The London American Story 1961 by Various (Audio CD - 2012)