Format: Audio CD|Change

I'm always cautious when buying cd's on a label I haven't heard of before and especially when all the tracks are now in the public domain (so no 'Donna, the prima donna' or 'Sandy'). But fear not as this double cd has great sound quality and some great music. The cd's are housed in a card gatefold sleeve with liner notes occupying one side (sadly no booklet - which is to be expected due to its value for money price tag). Onto the music which dates from 1957-61:-

Cd 1 (50.11mins):- Contains many classic & great tracks (A sides & B sides). 'The Wanderer', 'Runaround Sue', 'Somebody nobody wants' and the utterly fantastic 'Little girl blue'. There are many more very good tracks on this particular cd and in my opinion is worth the admission price alone, however, there are a couple of standards which I dislike alot. 9/10.

Cd 2 (48.14mins):- Contains two outstanding classic tracks 'I wonder why' and 'Teenager in love' but many of the others are a collection of standards and musicical numbers (sadly a trend that many great artists had to endure) these tracks in my opinion are pretty poor in comparison to any of the others mentioned above. 3/10.

Overall, well worth buying, great sound quality, good value for money but you won't like it all.
on 11 March 2016
INTRODUCTION:

Dion’s chart career is divided into two eras: (1) Dion & The Belmonts (1958 – 1960); (2) Dion’s solo career (from 1960 onwards). His main labels were Laurie (1958-1963; 1968-1969) and Columbia (1963-1964).

If you are looking for Dion & The Belmonts CDs, I would recommend the current set being reviewed (The Very Best of Dion & The Belmonts (2 CD) on One Day Music) (2012), and Teenagers In Love (1957-60)(2 CD set) by Jasmine Records (2011). The latter also contained rare recordings of Dion & The Timberlanes, plus a few uncharted rare gems.

If you are looking for Dion’s solo career on Laurie, the best and most comprehensive collection belongs to the The Complete Laurie Singles on Real Gone Music (my review of that is found elsewhere).

If you are looking for Dion’s solo career on Columbia, I would recommend the 2 CD set called The Road I’m On: A Retrospective, or even better, the now out-of-print 3 CD box set called Dion: King of the New York Streets.

CONTENT:

I have compiled a detailed song listing (with chart position and year) is as follows:

Disc 1
01 The Wanderer (US 2/1961)
02 Runaround Sue (US 1/1961)
03 The Majestic (US US 36/1961, b-side to The Wanderer)
04 Runaway Girl (b-side to Runaround Sue)
05 Dream Lover
06 Somebody Nobody Wants (US 103/1961)
07 Lonely Teenager (US 12/1960)
08 The Kissin’ Game (82/1961)
09 Heaven Help Me (b-side to The Kissin’ Game)
10 Havin’ Fun (US 42/1961)
11 North East End Of The Corner (b-side to Havin’ Fun)
12 Little Miss Blue (US 96/100, b-side to Lonely Teenager)
13 Where Or When (US 3/1969)
14 That’s My Desire (b-side to Where Or When)
15 Fly Me To The Moon
16 Just You (b-side to Don’t Pity Me)
17 When You Wish Upon A Star (US 30/1960)
18 You Better Not Do That
19 No One Knows (US 19/1958)
20 I Can’t Go On (Rosalie)(b-side to No One Knows)

Disc 2:
01 A Teenager In Love (US 5/1959)
02 I Wonder Why (US 22/1958)
03 I’ve Cried Before (b-side to A Teenager In Love)
04 In The Still Of The Night (US 38/1960)
05 Teen Angel (b-side to I Wonder Why)
06 It’s Only A Paper Moon
07 Swinging On A Star
08 A Funny Feeling (b-side to In The Still Of The Night)
09 September Song
10 All The Things You Are
11 Don’t Pity Me (US 40/1958)
12 Every Little Thing I Do (US 48/1959)
13 I’m Through With Love
14 I Got The Blues
15 My Day
16 When The Red, Red Robin Comes Bobbin’ Along
17 Wonderful Girl (b-side to When You Wish Upon A Star)
18 The Chosen Few
19 Out In Colorado
20 A Lover’s Prayer

The sound is very well remastered, clean with no hiss.

ONE DAY MUSIC:

One Day Music is an UK reissue label. I have bought many of their recent releases, mainly concentrating on the various UK label compilations, like The Top Rank Story, 1959, 1960, 1961, plus other labels like ABC-Paramount, Atlantic, Brunswick, Coral, Roulette, Parlophone, etc., and the Cruising series.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Except for the omission above, this set deals with both the singles (a- and b-sides), plus a lot of very catchy album cuts. I still remember the first time I saw Dion on American Bandstand singing A Teenager In Love, I just fell in love with the song and the singer. Singers those days, like Dion, James Darren, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, were all so handsome. The entire 2 CDs were very enjoyable with great sound, and will bring back many happy memories of days gone by. This set is highly recommended.
on 26 March 2015
great memories of tunes I remember and some I had not heard 50`s and 60`s music still cannot be beaten
on 11 January 2015
reliving a very good era in music history
on 19 December 2014
An excellent compilation from the golden era of late 50's pop. Really enjoy this album throughout, one of my favourite tracks are 'I wonder why' and 'teenager in love'.
on 22 December 2014
I have given this CD 5 stars because it is a nice CD and I am sure that my relative is going to love it for Christmas. Thank you.
on 9 December 2013
There is a lot of the pop side of Dion and not enough Doo-wop but then again if these were the hits then that is that
on 5 September 2015
Bought for a Birthday present for my Husband from the kids, he loves it.
on 26 April 2013
I am a fan of Dion from the sixties at which time I bought some of is singles these are included on this CD. The CD includes a lot of other tracks which are not really my choice but I am not disappointed as the tracks are there that I like.
on 20 January 2016
A mixture of good and not so good songs.