Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 30 November 2011
You can't beat a book a book filled to the brim with local references and familiar characters! I read this eagerly and laughed like a drain at people and landmarks I could easily visualise as our hero's adventures unravelled. I loved the use of north east Scottish vernacular and could almost hear the accent being spat out as I lovingly trawled tthe pages of Ms Burness' first published work. All too soon the tale concluded and couldn't bear the thought the end had arrived . . It did not disappoint. Louise draws on a rich tapestry of hilarious memories and warm characters to make this the ideal holiday read. Or rainy day material. Or Christmas gift . .
on 24 May 2013
I saw the reviews for this book and decided to give it a go and I have to say I'm disappointed!

I didn't think the story telling flowed particularly well - there seemed to be some anecdotes inserted in places where they really didn't fit which made the story a bit disjointed, in my opinion. Almost as if the author had too many stories to include but didn't really think about how they would fit together and in some places just sort of breezed over details which would've made the story more interesting, funny etc.

The book felt like it started off with real life stories (I could certainly relate to some of them, being a 30 something woman living in London!) but then seemed to mould into fiction with the move to Tenerife and the events that followed. I'm not sure if this style is the reason but I didn't laugh out loud once and felt the whole story had an air of unhappiness about it, even though there were some potentially funny situations. The writing just didn't do it for me unfortunately.
Obviously there were some happy and some sad parts to it but again, they weren't emotional enough to provoke an actual reaction. It just all felt a bit monotone, despite hearing the regional accents in my head!

Not the best book I've ever read, but also not the worst.
on 13 June 2013
My friend recommended this book to me as she loved it. I normally only read books like Martina Cole but I couldn't put this down. Really enjoyed it and would love to read another that follows Lucy and Mike`s relationship :)
on 3 December 2011
A book I cant recommend highly enough. A modern day Scottish Bridgette Jones but 100 times more funnier. I absolutely loved the local references and wow reading this I could almost put myself into this book. Love the humour and the no punches barred comments that will have you in stitches, tears rolling down your face and sides sore with laughing. But also tears of sadness also with the storyline that I was so engrossed in the book. I have had sleepless nights not wanting to put the book down and first thing I did when I woke in the morning wanted to get to the end of the book. Well done Louise Burness and I will be recommending this to all my female friends and all my male friends as how not to be such idiots when it comes to women. This absolutely screams out "MAKE ME INTO A MOVIE!" roll on the next book please x
on 30 November 2011
I love this book! Couldn't put it down! I laughed, I cried!

Louise gives Bridget Jones a run for her money!!!
on 26 April 2016
Loved this book a great read, it is funny, interesting, & well written.a must read.

It is about a young lady's life style her love life and working life , her ups and downs determination to take risks.
Do not want to give to much away, but i could not put it down, it is written by a an up incoming righter from Arbroath Scotland,

Also the Author of Ify Eff this is also a great well written book
on 28 June 2013
Most of these "romcom" type books leave me cold, but I was looking for something easy to read on a business trip, so opted for this. To my complete surprise, I really enjoyed it! There were some laugh-out-loud moments (Lucy's previous boyfriends were a disastrous joy)and the central characters are warm, funny and, unusually for this type of story, absolutely believable. I loved her Scottish family and her 'adopted' Spanish family (very true to life - believe me).
The Kindle version I bought for 99p was a bargain - well formatted, no gibberish and easy to read.
A much, much better book than I anticipated and well worth the read.
on 12 November 2015
A real laugh out loud read, loved it! Related so much to the characters, life, geography, exactly what I was wanting as a holiday read. The writer shows such insight into human nature & uses her sense of humour well, but tempers this with sufficient reality that it is credible. Can't wait to read her next book ;-)
on 3 December 2011
Highly entertaining,makes you smile and brings a tear to your eye.The perfect blend for an enjoyable read. Don't think I have ever read Arbroath mentioned in a romantic ficion novel until now.

Bring on the the next book.
on 17 February 2015
What a great book! Having followed just a few authors for the past few years, I decided I'd branch out and reading other reviews, decided to give this book a go. I'm so glad I did! Loved the humour in this, the author really knows how to turn the every day, mundane events to comic moments. She's not afraid to deal with difficult issues such as loss and wraps it all up in an unputdownable read. I'll certainly be looking out for more of her books.