4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive seat
Published 23 months ago by nigeljh

Published 14 days ago by Ted

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive seat, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
I have a rear seat, purchased for our eldest, which never really got used. Partly because it was fitted to an old bike and I'd much rather ride my new bike, partly because I didn't like how it affected the balance of the bike, and partly because it meant he was hidden behind me. When I discovered that I could now get a front fitting seat, that would fit my new (full suspension) mountain bike I had to give it a go with our latest arrival.

Fitting the bar to the bike, whilst straightforward, was a little fiddly, especially due the size/shape of my bike's head tube. I found it tricky to position the bracket such that the finish of the bike wasn't damaged, I even took an angle grinder to the bar to take off some of the sharp edges. I should point out that I don't think this would be necessary for most bikes/frames, and it should be an easy 5 minute job. Once the bar is fitted to the bike it's just a matter of screwing on the seat - with a special hand fastened safety screw (that can't be undone by little fingers!), and fixing the webbing strap underneath the seat to the bar.

I had a quick ride (minus child!) to see what it felt like. As others have mentioned the pedalling position is a little different to normal to prevent your knees knocking on the seat, but for the kind of rides I'll be doing with the seat in place, it's not a problem.

Putting her in the seat was easy enough, but the 5-point harness, whilst good, only just went tight enough at full adjustment. She's 18 months and certainly not small and the seat does claim to fit children as young as 9 months.

After a first ride, about 6 miles, impressions are very good. Balance is good, I like that my arms are around her, it gives me the feeling that I'm protecting her, plus I can talk to her, point things out, see what she's doing and try my best to stop her removing her helmet which she was intent upon doing!

All in all a very nice seat, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and would buy again should the need arise. It would be nice however if the front bracket was improved for bikes with larger head tubes, and ideally something that could be fitted/removed quicker as I don't intend to leave the bar on the bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Child Bike Seat Available, 3 May 2013
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
In my opinion this is the best bike seat available for attaching to an adult bike. It mounts to the frame of the bike and your child then sits directly in front of you facing forwards. We now have two of these - one for our 2.5yr old daughter and one for our 1yr old son (his only arrived today, so we haven't been out with him yet, but if he loves it as much as our daughter, it will be great).

The seat itself is comfy and is pretty easy to fit to the bike. We have a gents mountain bike & a ladies mountain bike and the seats fit easily to both. They do come with an attachment that you can see on the picture that is intended as some sort of arm/head rest for the child, but we haven't bothered with that for our daughter as she prefers to hold onto the bikes handlebars. Me may try it for our son with him being that bit younger.

Can't wait for us all to get out on the bikes together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, much better than normal seat behind rider, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
Very pleased so far and our toddler much happier in this seat. Balance on bike is much better and still easy to cycle.

4.0 out of 5 stars smaller than expected but overall a very good child seat, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
when purchasing this item I struggled to find specific details on the size/ weight the child seat was suited for. after some research and reading reviews I decided that my son (3yr - 15/16kg) would fit ok given the weight limit stated here ( which differed to that on the box which said 15kg) . on receiving the product I was worried that it was a bit small but overall my son fit ok and enjoys sitting in this while I ride. also of note, I did struggle slightly with fitting the bar to my bike (trek 7.3 fx), given the how low and close to the frame the handle bars were, and only just managed to fit it.

however, overall it has been a pleasure to have this as my little one enjoys it and I can get some exercise :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars This flaw means that you cannot realistically put on and remove it on a daily basis as I would like to - I have a longer commute, 15 July 2014
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
I'm surprised at the many positive reviews of this product which I feel is poorly designed. The main issue is the crude single bolt that attaches the seat to the metal bar that is fixed to the bike. It is very fiddly to get the bolt seated and then to screw it in takes quite some effort - this is obviously intended to make it hard for the child to undo the bolt but there must be 100s of engineering solutions for a more elegant and safe quick release attachment. This flaw means that you cannot realistically put on and remove it on a daily basis as I would like to - I have a longer commute after taking my child to nursery and it's too uncomfortable to ride with the seat permanently attached as you need to pedal bow-legged. As a result it is no use to me. If, however, you intend to leave the seat on your bike and you're only using it for short leisure rides then it is ok.

Since posting the above I have spoken to a Weeride representative who has been very helpful and mentioned that they can offer an alternative thumbscrew which will make re-attachment of the seat much easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but happy dad and daughter none the less, 14 April 2014
Gearoid Healy (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
All in all I'm happy with this. It seems pretty secure and is relatively easy to take on and off when not in use.

My only complaints would be..
- In an idea world you could move the seat forward a little on the bar. I'm 6'1" and a bit and my knees stick out a bit when cycling with this on. I have a short commute with this but I don't know how I'd feel about doing longer spins with it as a result. But it looks as if the support bar could live with the seat a little further forward towards the handle bars.
- It can be hard to fasten the straps with the really short strap on the fastener down by the seat nut. trying to get at it while my daughter is in the seat can be a bit of a struggle at times and can result in a pretty irate baby!
- And (totally minor point, but still!!) the nut that attaches the seat to the bar can be impossible to get in some times!! Maybe it's just me, but sometimes it feels like you can be turning for AGES before the thread catches!

But aside from those minor things it feels safe and secure (which is ultimately most important) and my daughter seems happy in it so that's all that matters really! I'd still buy this again knowing what I know now and having used it for the past 2 and a bit months.

FWIW in my case I started using this with my daughter form age 8 months no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Seat, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
Our son loves this seat, we got it when he was 21 months old and whenever we go out he just sits there pointing to things and telling me what they are. I'm so glad we went for one where he sits in front of you so he has a great view.

Admittedly, it isn't quite as easy to get on or off, and you do have to cycle with your knees slightly out, but these aren't really big problems as when you go out with your small child it is a more leisurely ride than when you go out by yourself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far from finished product, 5 July 2013
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
Does what it says on the tin, just not very well. Fits my 18" Orange Patriot full suspension bike well, seems safe, my son was able to sleep in it while riding once and we can talk easily as we go.

However...
It takes a while to fit the beam and it is tricky because of poor bolt length selection and not using captive nuts at both ends which would make fastening the rear end a one tool job instead of a two tool job. The mounting beam is really heavy so if you're going for a serious ride without the little one you will want to take it off which is more hassle. Finally, you have to ride seriously bow legged on my bike and most likely any bike which makes serious distance or gradient an impossibility as you would destroy your knees.

Not bad, I use it every Friday going to the child minders, but I'm going to try the iBert safety seat which looks much better and sell on whichever is worst.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great great great!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: WeeRide Safe Front Child Bike Seat - Grey/Red (Sports)
I gave this 5 stars as it is brilliant. My LO loves riding up front, he can see everthing going on and talks to me as we ride.Easy to fit to bike.