on 26 March 2014
One of the best things I have found about getting a kindle is that it allows me to explore the works of self-published authors and the Blood and Tears trilogy is a perfect example of this.

I would echo what some other reviews have noted, in that this book does take a little while to get going. However, it is definitely worth persevering with the book and the series as a whole. The characterisation is really well developed and genuinely compelling whilst never slowing down the plot which moves along swiftly.

This is one of the best new fantasy series I have read in a while and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the genre, especially at such a reasonable price!
on 10 July 2013
I must applaud the author. This is a tremendous opening to the trilogy. The characters development is fascinating, character's you immediately disliked at first you fall in love with and those you liked become monsters. The characters make the book and their psychological flaws and strengths create a very enjoyable story. The battle scenes are well described and the ending of the book leaves you wanting more. Great writing, great characters and the twists at the end have made this one of my favourite starts to a series. Moving straight on to book 2.....can't wait!!!
on 10 November 2013
This was the best bargain I have got on Kindle. I enjoy trialling new fantasy authors, and have read a lot of average material or books where the author hasn't really discovered their style. This was anything but, I was hooked instantly. The story is complex, with lots of fascinating plot twists & turns, while also developing some great characters, the male leads in particular are very engaging and change in front of your eyes. I loved how unafraid Joshua Simon is with his story and characters, and I have just downloaded book 2 seconds after finishing the first. I wholeheartedly recommend this book for fantasy fans, the best debut in the genre since I read Joe Abercrombie a few years back. Please keep up the good work
on 25 March 2015
Like many readers of fantasy novels I have ploughed by way through hundreds of books in the genre. I was at a loss as to where to head next and downloaded this on a whim. I am so glad I did. Mr Simon tells a wonderful tale and develops some really engaging characters.

The book is engaging with enough sub plots to keep you guessing and without making the story so complex that you forget where you are and who is doing what in the story line. The book also has a couple of brilliant twists at the end but no spoilers from me. Buy the book and find out for yourself 😀
on 4 January 2014
excellent trilogy. gets better as you go. first book has some unlikable characters but the author cleverly develops them along the way. 80% into book 3, I had no idea how it would end! if you want entertaining and a feel good feeling at the end then dont hesitate to buy. (ignore the 1 star rating review some idiot has posted- it is ridiculous).
on 19 January 2014
Highly entertaining series that doesn't disappoint. The price doesn't reflect the quality of the book as you get a very polished and well thought out universe for the price of a packet of Tic Tacs. Lacks some of the complexity of larger fantasy series like ASOIAF and if you're familiar with the conventions of the Fantasy genre then some of the 'twists' can be seen coming.

This is a great read and one that I highly recommend. Make sure you read the entire series.

I look forward to reading the work by Joshua P. Simon.
on 3 March 2014
Really good read!.It has depth,good story lines, a number of intertwining plots and is well written.
The book takes a few chapters to weave the different player sets into the storyline and initially this can be confusing - stay with it as there are a few story's contained within the one . Different cultures and wars on each end of the world, showing the best and worst of both cultures.
Each character is well developed and is likeable ( well most anyway!) and be prepared to change your opinion on each.
on 12 May 2014
Enjoyable story laced with excitement. Look forward to reading the other books in the series. I can only guess at the twists and turns to come.
on 30 March 2015
When you buy a book for 99p you really don't expect a lot but I have to say that this was a good deal better than some for which I have foolishly paid full price. Although a little less refined than some and in need of a better proof reader, this is a really entertaining and gripping book. The characters build nicely and are not simply cliches. The story is on a sufficiently grand scale with nicely interwoven plot lines and some nice twists. All in all a really great start to the series... Book two awaits
on 9 March 2015
At the end of this first part, I did not think I would continue with the rest of the trilogy.
Mainly this was because of the demise of one of the main characters. However, what has made me decide to continue, is that I am a Christian [well, I hope so - I do try!] and I appreciate Joshua Simon's religious references during the story. This is in contrast to many authors that I currently read, who seem to lose no opportunity to rubbish anything faintly religious.
Keep up the good work, Simon.