5.0 out of 5 stars Good frame, 10" would be better
This is a neat little frame. Setup is pretty easy, but it balked a few times on its WiFi connection before eventually connecting. There was then an immediate software update to v1.2.

Published on 21 April 2012 by

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
Published on 25 Nov. 2012 by S. Mallinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 25 Nov. 2012
S. Mallinson "sjmleicester" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
I could not get the advertised Facebook functionality to work at all despite numerous attempts. The touch screen matt finish is poor compared to two older Sony digital photo frames I own, which have glossy screens. As soon as I connected to my wireless netwoork, I received an automatic firmware update, and yet the software still ran incredibly slowly making setting up a chore. This is despite have a 5 bar strength and fast wireless connection. The touch screen is also fairly unresponsive. It also comes with a stupid designed wide plug for some unknown reason which may cause problem is plugging into a multi plug adapter. Have decided to return the unit to Amazon.co.uk and look elsewhere. Amazon service itself could not be faulted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good frame, 10" would be better, 21 April 2012
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There are several ways of viewing pictures, with or without the current date and time, or as a calendar. Internal storage is generous, but there are card slots and USB sockets for more storage.

Although DLNA enabled, I found navigation fiddly, since my photos are stored hierarchically. Just choosing "show them all" produced a broken icon onscreen. I did manage to display all 2012 photos eventually in a slide show. It would have been great if the internal storage had been visible over my LAN, so I could upload photos directly via WiFi, but sadly that is not an option. Also, if you want this frame to display your photos from a LAN drive AND do that using the On/Off timer, forget it! You just get a demo screen.

The screen is clear and wide. This presents problems, since cameras don't generally shoot widescreen shots, and, indeed, 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 seem to be a total muddle generally on cameras, frames and printers. I can switch mine to 16:9, but all that does is use less of the 4:3 sensor. However, depth of contrast is good.

So, a competent frame with a few niggles. If you are in the market for a 7" frame then this is probably for you. For something larger, try the Sony DPF-HD 1000 from Sony. I had a Kodak internet-enabled frame, but that broke down after only two years. My Motorola 10" frame is doing better service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed for the money, 13 Dec. 2012
Mrs T (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
we got this for £80 as a Black Friday deal, but it's been on since as a lightening deal. Yes, it has lot of tech. which is what attracted my husband to it, as I am a keen photographer and we don't own a digital photo frame as yet. Sadly we hadn't noticed about the band across the bottom of the screen which is way darker, it looks fine here on the photo they show, but i have thousands of good shots, and many would not look good in this frame. We found the dark band across the bottom distracting also, and do we really need to know the time and weather ??? NO. So sadly we sent it back. Whilst they have become more affordable, there seems to be less choice in the Digital Photo frame market now, which is a shame. This is a nice sturdy design, what s shame they don't do it without all the info. across the bottom, or at least give you the option to turn it off. The colour and clarity were brilliant.
But for £80 I wanted to be 100% happy and we weren't so sadly we returned it !!! Shame

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst photo frame ever, 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
I bought a Sony digital photo frame because my old one died. I assumed it would be just as easy to use and would have all the functionality advertised - WRONG. Half the time the frame is programmed to be on it is showing advertisements for Sony and how you should give a frame as a gift. I bought this to display my photos not as an in-home advertising terminal for Sony. No matter how I try to change the settings I can't get the ads to go away and some days they show for hours at at time and don't ever revert back to showing my own personal photos.

Additionally, I purchased this model because it would provide some weather. This feature does not work at all.

If you want a frame that will display your personal memories and / or the weather DO NOT BUY THIS FRAME!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but weak in some areas, 23 April 2012
Thomas Pots "T Pots" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, the main difference between the W-700 (this model) and the WA-700 model is that the WA-700 includes support for Dolby sound, video and internet radio.

The frame is a plane-looking black object, which looks exactly like a scaled-down flat-screen television. The screen aspect ratio is 16:9, which is not great given that most photos (mine anyway) are at 4:3 ratio.

S-Frame comes very nicely packed in a colourful box. It shows a photo of the product, which looks suspiciously like a 4:3 ratio screen rather than the 16:9 screen in the box! The box contains the following: operating instructions leaflet, various other leaflets in multiple languages, a software CD, the S-Frame screen itself, and a mains power lead. S-Frame comes with a clip-on stand, but you can also mount it on a wall. Instructions are provided in the user guide on the CD.

The power adapter is very wide - you certainly won't be able to plug in anything next to it. The frame starts as soon as you plug it in, though there is a power button on the back, which switches in and out of standby mode. Wi-Fi is not a requirement, but you will miss many of S-Frame's features if you haven't got it. Wi-Fi setup is easy enough, though it took a couple of goes before it would connect to my hub.

Its slideshow options offer just four mixtures of picture, calendar and weather information. Four is not very many, and it does not offer variable transition effects (such as pages turns and slides), does not support collages, and cannot show pictures in random order. Its fade is a bit jerky, too, flickering through 8-10 steps of fade from one image to the next.

S-Frame does not know which way is up. In other words, it only works in landscape (horizontal) - if you turn it upright into portrait (vertical) it does not rotate the slideshow. I would have expected this feature in a frame of this price. It does maximize pictures to fill the screen, though it annoyingly sometimes fills the screen width regardless of whether doing so will chop the top and bottom off a photo. Nor does it support zoom, which I had assumed would be a feature, given that it is a touch screen product.

The product is slow to respond to commands. For example, press the menu button and you have to wait 2-3 seconds for it to appear. The touch-screen is not very responsive, either; certainly not as responsive as an iPhone screen. In other words, you have to press the screen rather than tap it. Even so, it usually puts a box around anything you press, so you know you've pressed it.

S-Frame can apparently get the last 100 pictures from your Facebook and email accounts. To do this, enter your account usernames and passwords, and it will access the accounts and download the pictures. However, in my many attempts to use this feature, it flatly refused to connect to Facebook or Hotmail. Nor would it email photos to my email account. However, photo transfer via USB works like a charm. When plugged in to a PC, S-Frame appears as an extra drive, to which you can copy photos in either direction (I am using Windows 7). No software installation is required. The 7-day weather forecast display also works perfectly, and requires no set-up at all.

Comparing S-Frame with the older Philips SPH8208 digital frame (both at similar price) the Sony frame's key advantages are the touch screen, Wi-Fi, weather forecast, and the links to Facebook and email (if you can get them working). But, if all you need is a decent photo frame with lots of display options, I'd say the Philips offering is much better. The Philips screen is bigger, it offers many transition effects and slideshow options, background music, slideshow randomization, and so on. It is also portable, its user interface is more responsive, and (like the photo display on most smart phones) it knows which way is up. That said, I really like S-Frame, mainly because its touch screen makes it easier to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Bought this for my mother to replace a broken Kodak frame. It has been a real disappointment. The photos dont seem to upload vi the internet and it is not very easy to find a particular photo or display the latest. Much preferred the Kodak version, but they seem to have stopped making them now. The frame itself is quite small. I dont think I would buy another one. My mother loved her previous frame and used to enjoy seeing photos come up on the screen which friends had sent her. She gets no pleasure from this frame and it is basically now just gathering dust on the side. Such a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent frame, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
This frame was so easy to set up and program and if is a pleasure to see my vast collection easily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't have a random function!, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Very surprisingly this expensive digital photo frame doesn't offer a random function! It also sometimes doesn't recognise the SD card and only shows the photos it has retrieved from Facebook. It would have also been nice if you could show photos from multiple sources at the same time e.g. Facebook and SD card but its one or the other!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome product, 4 April 2013
awesome product.
pros: place anywhere, no need to update photos in memory card again n again, shared my digicam's folder in pc to home network and whoaa...it(photoframe) works n updated the latest pics itself.
cons: on restarting, tedious process of selecting folder on Home network every time has to be repeated. Should have remebered last location.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sent straight back, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Sony W700 Digital Photo Frame with Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Disappointed with this product. Went with Sony, because of their reputation and thought I would be buying a quality item. I bought it for a present so wanted to check it over and perhaps even upload a few photos on to it before giving. However on opening the packaging I inspected the touch screen which looked like it had a protective film that needed pulling off. But after searching for where the film peels back to reveal a nice touch screen pad, I soon realised that there wasnt a film protective cover and that the bubble in the screen was actually part of the touch screen. I thought perhaps I just received a faulty one? popped into a Currys branch to see if it was just me that couldn't find the peel back flap, but the technician said that the screen had not been put on tight enough, hence why it was 'bubbled'. So sending it back and not risking it again, going to purchase the Nix 12 inch instead as it is not touch screen but remote controlled, so expect a decent screen. Also the sony 7 inch frame is very small. Only draw back is that ideally I wanted wifi which isn't a feature of the Nix frame - but at least the reviews are good. When it arrives I will give feed back on the Nix one too.