5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Leatherman
Published 17 months ago by Gareth

1.0 out of 5 stars End broke off the pliers after 3 weeks
Plier tips not very strong, broke off after 5 weeks of use. Very disappointed as my first Leatherman lasted 8 years
Published 14 months ago by Tim Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Leatherman, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
This is my second leatherman, my first was the wave. This tool being half the price is now actually my go-to tool as it is alot lighter, easier to access tools and especially nice spring pliers. The tools on each are also basically the same apart from the wingman is missing the small screwdriver (which i dont use anyway) and on the outside is missing a saw and the large file (however it has a small file inside) and the blade has a small serrated part.

All in all, very good tool especially for the price, and very very fast shipping, almost a week before it was supposed to arrive and 1 or 2 days after i ordered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spring-loaded pliers a revelation!, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
This is the fourth Leatherman in my inventory and joins a Wave, a Juice CS4 and a Style CS. They all have different uses and this Wingman was bought to go in my Maxpedition EDC pouch which stays in my daily carry rucksack.

First up, it's a great size. Bigger than the Juice, a tad smaller than the Wave and obviously bigger than the diminutive Style, it measures 96mm (3.75 inches) in length and weighs just under 200g (or 7 oz). It's surprisingly heavy for its size. Its all-metal construction is solid and reassuring. Included tools are pretty comprehensive - highlights being a very sharp package opener and a decent set of scissors. It's worth noting that none of the internal tools lock (as they do on the Wave) - only the blade and scissors on the outside are lockable.

For me though, the best feature of the Wingman is the spring-loaded pliers. I don't know if Leatherman is moving this way with all its tools, but it's such a handy feature and makes using the pliers much easier. The built-in pocket clip is also a very useful feature.

Quality control might be an issue. My first Wingman's scissor lock was faulty (they wouldn't lock out) so got returned to Amazon. The replacement is better but still isn't as snappy as I would like - you really have to make sure the lock clicks over to make sure it doesn't snap closed whilst in use. This loses it 1 star.

There is no included sheath with this tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive essential tool, 10 Oct 2013
D. Munnelly "D. Transform" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
Really love it and have it by my side almost everywhere igo.

Very well constructed and robust. Would recommend to anyone as a day to day mulittool

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent "budget" tool, 17 Aug 2013
Chris (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
I'm a bit of a gadget and tool nut. Over the last 15 years I've owned several multitools, and a lot of knives. The Wingman was bought as a birthday present for a friend.

When it arrived, I couldn't help but have a look at the tool in more detail. I have to admit, I am surprised by how good a tool the Wingman is for the price, considering *my* leatherman costs 3x as much!

I won't list all the tools, only the main things I noticed, when comparing to aLeatherman Charge TTI Multi-Tool with premium Nylon/Leather pouch, and Gerber multitools.

First, spring loaded pliers. These are very nice. Having the pliers spring loaded isn't essential, you can survive without this feature, but it does make life so much easier. I wish I had this on my Charge.

Scissors. I've always found scissors a tad pointless on my tools, especially when they have a variety of other blades to choose from. However, the scissors on the wingman are quite substantial in size, making them actually useful!

Package opener. I have a mixed view on this. On my Charge, the package opener is a hook on the non-blade edge of the serrated knife. I've never had an issue with using this, but pretty much whenever I used it in front of other people, they'd wince. Having a sharp serrated blade exposed doesn't instil confidence, no matter how competent the user! On the wingman the package opener is redesigned, into a more safe looking affair. I do think though that it could be a bit more fiddly to use.

My only other niggle is the lack of interchangable bits. On my charge the different screwdriver bits are probably the most used feature, along with the knives and package opener. Obviously there has to be some cuts for a budget model, and the screwdrivers that the wingman have are up to the job nicely. However if you think you might benefit from having the option of using hex, torx, or alan keys etc, maybe consider a model with a bit-driver attachment. It adds so many more uses!

The last thing to say is that leatherman has an excellent warranty system in place. Yeah I've had 2 leatherman tools break and need repairing, which isn't great, but the leatherman fixed/repaired both of them, no questions asked, without receipts. One of the tools was 10 years old too. (Kind of explains why there are no broken tools on ebay! - I've looked!). As such, I don't think I'd ever consider a different brand for a multi-tool. I want something I can use and abuse without worry, and these tools fit the bill nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right size and well made, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
Not overloaded with tools but just right for my office drawer. Fits nicely in your pocket or the belt clip feels really solid (and it's so small you don't look like a nerd with it clipped on). I bought the Gerber Suspension at the same time and I think this gets the edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust your wingman, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
Leatherman = quality ,I've never had any sort of issue with any Leatherman ,this is no different, personally find weight and design comfortable in the hand ,the tools are more than capable of what they are meant to do ,so as the lighter multitool it is designed to be it does its job & gives me no room for complaint

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little tool, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
This is a brilliant little multi-tool from leatherman which has all that the average person would need on it.

A pair of spring action pliers
Knife with serration
Scissors
Metal file
1 inch ruler
Flat head screw driver
Phillips screw driver
Bottle/Can opener
Package opener

This works brilliantly for me as a sound technician. A pair of really solid needle nose pliers with a great set of wire cutters. The blade is really sharp and will cut through most things with ease.
The serrated section of the blade isn't as good as leatherman's saw blades for cutting through wood but will do the job for smaller things.

This is a brilliant tool for the average person or for those who don't want to dish out over 100 for leatherman's higher end multi-tools. A really good bit of kit and highly recommended.

**NOTE THAT THE KNIFE IS LOCKING, IT IS ILLEGAL TO CARRY THIS MULTI-TOOL WITHOUT A VAILD REASON TO DO SO**

5.0 out of 5 stars Leatherman Muti-Tool, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
Item arrived today and I'm really pleased with it. it came well packaged with all the proper box and manual.

The item is really good quality and feels solid when handled, the mechanisms feel strong and not loose so theirs no chance of it opening accidentally.

Just a couple of things to be aware of.

1. The scissors will only spring open when the scissors are fully out and locked into position (same lock as the knife).
2. The knife has a serrated edge at the bottom which isn't too clear on the photos.
3. The scissors needed a little bit of sharpening to get them to cut perfectly.

All in all a really good product that I'm really happy with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Quality at a Great Price, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
I carry this multitool with me at all times, and I use it several times a day. The little parcel-opening tool is fantastic: it is a simple, small, hook-like blade (which you pull towards you) which easily penetrates tape and string, without cutting through anything further inside (I am not sure I have seen it on any other tools). The scissors are the largest I have seen on a multitool at any price, and I use them mainly for clipping articles and office type stuff, though they are robust enough for somewhat more demanding jobs. The pliers (sprung, so they come open again when you relax your grip) are just the job for gripping awkward things and getting (small) stubborn tops undone. Only the blade and the scissors (which open on the outside of the multitool without having to open it up) lock in position for safety: there are more expensive multitools on which ALL the tools lock, but I have not experienced any problems using this more basic model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyal Wingman., 10 July 2014
This review is from: Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman (DIY & Tools)
Absolutely perfect for work. Has everything I need.

I will say that the scissors on this Leatherman are perhaps a little difficult to use, but I manage to get along with them. One of the best multi-tools I've used.

Leatherman Multi-Tool Wingman