4.0 out of 5 stars The Drowning
Camilla Lackberg's latest book, a psychological thriller, "The Drowning," is a compelling exploration of themes of betrayal, revenge and guilt, built on the firm foundations of returning detective Patrik Hedstrom against a background setting of Fjallbacka, Sweden.

Published on 4 Mar 2012 by Champollion

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the set
I'm a fan of Camilla Lackberg having read all of her series of books but this is my least favourite. I found myself wanting to skip through the first part of the book which I felt focused too much on the domestic settings and not enough on the crime. (I know that others feel differently and enjoy that.)

The book picked up pace in the final third of the book...
Published on 13 May 2012 by Ana

4.0 out of 5 stars The Drowning, 4 Mar 2012
Champollion (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The story opens with the disappearance of Magnus Kjellner, missing without trace, until three months later, his body is found and the investigation turns into a murder hunt. Christian Thydell, a debut novelist and friend of Kjellner, receives threatening notes and Hedstrom suspects, they could be linked to his novel.

Camilla Lackberg's well structured stories, always contain well rounded characters, credible story lines and an understated menace. You get the feeling when you read her novels that they are about real people and that is what makes her books, so persuasive, and ultimately engaging.

"The Drowning," will enable the reader to be able to patiently unravel the clues, through the false trails, on a twisting and turning journey to a startling finish. With this story, you may not travel at one hundred miles per hour and the body count may not be high, but nevertheless, it is a good story well told.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the set, 13 May 2012

The book picked up pace in the final third of the book and I stayed with it and was glad that I had. I did though get the overall feeling that this last book was churned out to meet publishing deadlines.
I'd love to see Camilla Lackberg write something different such as stand alone crime novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sad when a series you enjoy goes downhill..., 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Drowning (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 6) (Kindle Edition)
I have enjoyed Camilla Lackberg in the past, but am beginning to tire a little with this latest offering. It started off pretty well, but the disjointed way the plot was pushed forward in the many different viewpoints, always stopping just as it began to get interesting, was extremely irksome. Too deliberate a device to hook me. The characters were often unbelievable and the way the police investigate the four men involved was unlikely - even I would have made sure I interviewed them all. I really like Erika and Patrik, but how anyone would believe that Erika could possibly sort the whole thing out with the Keystone Cops lagging behind, is laughable.

The denouement is most unlikely and the ending designed purely to make sure you read the next harrowing instalment - to be sure, I shall not be buying it, I shall return to the library for the next, and probably the last one in the series for me.

I suppose it is difficult for an author who writes with enthusiasm and originality to retain her voice when publishers clamour for an annual offering, but here I think Lackberg has sacrificed her soul.

3.0 out of 5 stars A psychological thriller., 30 Oct 2012
Psychological thrillers are not my favourites in this genre, however 'The Drowning' was a good read,although the number of characters was a bit over the top. The ending was too sad for my liking!
As a literature graduate and a translater of Norwegian (my native tongue), I thought this particular translation by Tina Nunnally could have been better.

Elin Gibbon

3.0 out of 5 stars The Drowning, 22 Feb 2012
Mrs. K. A. P. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Camilla Lackberg writes good thrillers. This is, I think, the sixth in the series featuring Patrik and his wife Erica. Patrik is a policeman in the small seaside town of Fjällbacka and Erica is a biographer. They have a small daughter, Maja and Erica is heavily pregnant with twins.

The book starts with a prologue with a man being murdered. We are not told who he is. Then the story itself starts at the police station with a distraught wife asking for progress in the case of her missing husband. Gradually over the next hundred or so pages we find out about the missing man's family and friends and about threatening letters being sent to the missing man's close friend, Christian. Parallel to this are short sections in italics telling the brutal story of psychological child abuse.

Eventually the action heats up and there is more violence and threats of violence. But those concerned refuse to give the police any help. It is a long slog before the mystery is solved.

I got the feeling that Lackberg is tired of her characters. Her treatment of them was less subtle than in previous books and I felt that they (especially Erica) acted out of character and were less convincing as people. The first two thirds of the story were very slow and plodding and, if I hadn't already known the characters, I am not sure I would have persevered. That being said there is a double sting at the end which will ensure that I read Book 7, if there is one.

So, I rate this as a three star and hope that Lackberg returns to form with her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars another excellent book by a gifted author., 1 April 2012
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Having pre-ordered the book and waited eagerly for it to download, I couldn't wait to start it ... but made myself hang on until the start of my holiday, when I could really concentrate on it. I can only say that I loved this book. Every bit as good as the rest of the series, with intriguing twists and turns in the plot and a surprisingly unpredictable denouement, this has to be one of the best.
The key characters are all developing, as are their interactions wth one another. Erica and Anna are both heavily pregnant, and three other members of the team are still celebrating their recent new arrivals ... however, one final cliff hanger leaves all Lackberg fans waiting desperately for the sequel. Is it Camilla herself, or her translators that we're waiting for? whoever it is, please hurry up and put us out of our misery!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Lackberg, 12 Mar 2012
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read her previous book The Hidden Child, I am pleased to say her new novel doesn't disappoint. The story follows on from her previous novels, but what is great about her books is that she writes in a way that gives you just enough information which allows you to enjoy her current novels without having read her previous work.

The Drowning tells a sorrow tale with a reoccurring theme of betrayal, secrets, consuming guilt and contorted emotions of love and hate. The story begins with the introduction of a rapidly rising new author Christian, whom is threatened with a sinister menace that radiates throughout the town and characters connected to him. Leading to murder, psychological torment and exposure of a secret that has been suppressed with great effort for a long time.

Lackberg does a brilliant job of drip feeding clues which builds up a satisfying tension towards a climatic end. The secrets and emotional complexities of those involved are tangled in such a web of mysteries that you end up constantly questioning what was this secret that was so terrible. I would definitely recommend this series of books for Scandi-crime fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious and compellingly readable, 26 Jun 2014
I am reading all Camilla Lackberg's Hedstrom and Falck novels in sequence and this is one of the best.
The underlying sense of menace involving the four threatened characters contrasts well with the normal lives of Falck and her family. The next novel in the series is already on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, 13 May 2014
I loved it from very first page I was hooked had me guessing , wondering who did it? Couldn't put it down. It definitely a good read. Well done Camilla.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 May 2014
Like all Camilla Lackbergs books, there are two stories told alongside each other. You never know until almost the end who the murderer was. Her characterisation is brilliant as you look forward to reading about the same characters again in each book, getting to know even the minor ones very well.