5.0 out of 5 stars Good value
Published on 24 Sep 2012 by Bertie

3.0 out of 5 stars Experience on holiday
My wife and I both in our 60's have just returned from a 2 week holiday abroad using our new Carlton Glider II cases, we found that:-
They were nice and roomy when packing, although the cases only came with one pocket inside where our previous Carlton Airtek came with 2 pockets, so we used one each from our other case.
The combination lock works fine, but the...
Published on 25 Sep 2012 by Mel

3.0 out of 5 stars Experience on holiday, 25 Sep 2012
The combination lock works fine, but the catch is not as easy to operate as our previous Airtek case.
The end catches have keys and we found that these were a nuisance. I presume that the lock is there because of the case being less ridged and quite flexible.
The reason for choosing a case with a combination lock was to be keyless, and if a lock is required I wonder how much extra a combination lock in these 2 positions would have added to the cost of the case.
We used the locking mechanism which is quite crude, but found on each case the end with the wheels was very difficult to unlock and struggled for some time before we could open the case.
At other times when pulling the cases there was a need to lift up steps and we both felt a lack of confidence in whether this pulling handle would take the weight of 20kg. So we used the side handle which was at times awkward.
In all pulling the Glider II Hard PP 2 Wheeled trolly Case was much easier than pulling the old Airtek and one could rush without getting a speed wobble, but I think that it could be improved slightly as metioned above making it a much better product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 24 Sep 2012
As you are buying a solid case with no zipper, presumably you are concerned with security. This case has keys to lock the two tabs at the side, so you have two alternative ways of securing it. A combination lock can be guessed, so if someone has an hour to spare the case can be opened without your knowledge- the extra locks help prevent petty theft in countries where that might be a problem.

The case is a good size, and strongly made- the walls are of a resonable thickness. Cheaper than the alternatives I've seen. Overall, good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carlton Glider, 21 Mar 2014
Great suitcase - it is used every month on long haul flights and is standing up to the usual abuse airline baggage handling provides. It was bought to replace a hardly used expensive Samsonite suitcase which had a whole corner fall off (along with one wheel) the first time it was used) Like many people the hassle of returning a suitcase outweighs the advantages. This time I decided to try a cheaper suitcase. I have now used this suitcase for more flights than I can recall - probably over thirty long haul flights over the last year. Yes, it has plenty of scratches for the handing but it looks like this suitcase is going to last a considerable period. The lock is a basic three digit combination and this is supplemented by two key locks on the side. Secure enough against petty theiving but simple enough for security staff to open in required. I had never considered Carlton previously as it was not brand that appeared on my radar - I shall certainly recommend this brand in the future - simple and robust and the colour is great - easy to spot on a luggage carousels and not so easy for someone to make off with your bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello!, 29 Dec 2013
Hi! Guys,
Fantastic material with good service and quicker as well.
no worries for buying at all.
I like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware, 15 April 2013
I bought two suitcases for a long haul holiday. Before we set off, we had problems locking the side locks. We contacted Carlton and they sent us two new side locks immediately. Brilliant service. We have now just used the cases again for a cruise and have again had problems with one side lock and the main front lock. I have asked Carlton to help in this case and awaiting a response. I hope they are as helpful this time. On the whole the cases are strong and easy to use. There are no frills inside, but I assume that this is to keep the weight down. If we can get the locks right, it is a good products.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 13 April 2013
It is good but only thing is bit expensive.
I bought it for going to india.things were secure in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, 28 Dec 2012
Great quality as always. Solid construction well fitted together. The locks are a positive fit and feel strong. Should last 10 plus years like previous cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Same brand, same result, 23 Nov 2012
X (S.E. England) - See all my reviews
My wife is a firm believer in Carlton products, so the choice makes itself. In 40 years of frequent flying Carlton cases have always served us well. They are also excellent value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as "old" Carlton, 17 April 2012
A. Todd "mandolin beginner" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Bought to replace an earlier Carlton case which has given good service for >10 years. This seems altogether more flexible, less sturdy and so possibly less durable. Surprised that is is unlined - a couple of restraining straps and a small elastic pocket (described as a "shoe pocket" but hardly big enough). Couldn't be carried by the towing handle I think, and no carrying handle on the end so it would have to be rotated and carried by handle on side at steps etc. Our old one had a durable sprung handle at the corner which was strong enough to be used for lifting. A little disappointing but, in general, I think reasonable value for money and will be more secure than a zip-up model.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was expecting, 23 April 2013
Although it was not too heavy and very spacious I felt it badly scratched after one trip ...it was in a coach though.
The handle did not have a smooth raising and closing action. I think it would be better for car and train travel rather than coach and ferry.