5.0 out of 5 stars Couple of flaws, but otherwise Corvinus is on top form.
Firstly I think David Wishart must be thankful that kindle exists. Since he left his publisher trying to get hold of this book for a reasonable price has been a nightmare. No presale, or if there was I missed it. Couldn't even get it at the library. So when I was trawling again I found the Kindle version, great.

I wondered if David Wishart was going to delve...
Published on 15 Dec. 2011 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars Fed up of waiting
Like the previous reviewer, I was very fed up with waiting for Mr Wishart to continue the adventures of Corvinus, and have since discovered Steven Saylor and his Gordianus character and have enjoyed them just as much.

Published on 28 Jan. 2011 by Lewish

5.0 out of 5 stars Couple of flaws, but otherwise Corvinus is on top form., 15 Dec. 2011
John "John75222" (Leeds, Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bodies Politic (A Marcus Corvinus mystery Book 13) (Kindle Edition)

I wondered if David Wishart was going to delve into the reign of Gaius, or skip it. The reign of Gaius is a bit of a historical minefield, but Wishart - as usual, manages to steer Corvinus through it; keeping body and sanity together - but forget Gaius's problems Corvinus's womenfolk are planning a wedding and that leads to some quite amusing asides.

Wishart is also very good at devious sub-plots and weaving them into a timeline which is more or less historically accurate but with more red herrings than an Icelandic fishing fleet. He does meddle a bit with timelines, the book being slightly out, but he admits this himself in the authors note bit, and it makes for a cracking pacey read. There was a minor bit of confusion at the start over who was aunt Marcia's husband but a really minor point.

I hope he sorts his publisher out or continues on Kindle or both.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not before time!, 13 Jan. 2011
Sheenagh Pugh "Sheenagh Pugh" (Shetland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It seems ages since there was a Corvinus and a recent online interview with Wishart reveals that a change of publisher may be part of the reason. Wishart has left Hodder for a very small print-on-demand outfit.

I'm not sure this was wise. Re production values, I note that the cover and, I think, the paper, are flimsier than in the Hodder books, and for the first time there is no map, either of Rome or of the book's other main setting, Alexandria, which would have been a big help.

As for the story, it is well up to standard and indeed manages, as he often does, to give us a strange frisson of recognition when Corvinus runs into Alexandrian Greek anti-semitism (Romans of his day weren't anti-semitic as such, or no more so than they were anti-anything non-Roman, but Alexandrian Greeks were another matter). When he, and we, hear a character we've met before and liked coming out with this sort of stuff, the distance of centuries suddenly doesn't matter.

I like the book a lot, which is why the carelessness I can see in it annoys me all the more. A couple of times before, Wishart has been careless about continuity in his series. In "The Lydian Baker", he gave the name of Marcus's mother as Volumnia instead of Vipsania; in another book he dithers about whether Aunt Marcia was Fabius's widow or sister-in-law. In this book he has done it again, twice. First, after stating that Marcia's husband was Fabius, he has someone refer to him as Paullus - I think, on the same page. Later he has Corvinus claim to have found out about the sexual tastes of Sulpicius Galba from the man's wife Aemilia, "one of Perilla's poetry-klatsch pals". Well, sorry, but I recall "Last Rites" very well, better in fact than its author seems to, and that ain't so. Perilla didn't know Aemilia and Corvinus didn't find this out from her. He is, I think, confusing her with the wife of Publius Vitellius in "White Murder", who was a friend of Perilla's and also had a peculiar husband.

This really won't do, you know. It gives the impression Wishart doesn't care enough about his own creation to get it right, and that's mildly insulting to all those who do care about it. Do your homework, man! Were it not for this irritant, the review'd be 5 stars.

Oh, and I hope we don't have to wait so long for the next...

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to brilliance, 21 April 2012
J. Edrupt (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
I was sooo excited to see David was bringing out a new Marcus Corvinus book. Due to the length of time since the last book, I had gone onto Lindsay Davies and must admit I am enjoying them but there is something about David Wishart's writing that I like slightly better. I was not disappointed, it was punchy, fast moving and had a nice lot of twists. There are an incredible number of similarities bewteen the Falco and Corvinus books, but as I say, I still have a soft spot for Corvinus. I did get a little confused however as my little potted history book of that era had the names of the imperial circle slightly different and I couldn't work out sometimes who was the mother, sister, aunt or niece etc!

I do hope Mr Wishart produces another one a little quicker this time, I hate having to wait :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Corvinus is back with a vengence, 2 Jan. 2011
Michael Melcher (Highland Park, IL. United States) - See all my reviews
For those of you that like fact with your fiction this is a must read.
I've always loved Roman history, politics and mysteries. With David Wishart's books you get all three in one go.
Marcus Valerius Corvinus reminds me in a way of the Thin Man character, Nick Charles and his wife Nora.
He drinks a bit more than is good for him but he certainly isn't shy about upsetting the powers that be when he is trying to figure out a case.
I'd love to tell more about the story but all I will say is the Corvinus books are wonderful and I hope he never stops writing them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roman Emperors AD, 25 May 2014
Marcus Corvinus makes a cunning and wily investigator for Caesar whilst uncovering various plots against the state. The family travel to Alexandria supposedly to allow Perilla, his wife, to buy material for bridesmaids gowns for the wedding of their daughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 30 Sept. 2013
Marcus Corvinus is a character whom I love as much as Marcus Didius Falco. I was immensely disappointed in 2008 when it all seemed to come to a crashing end in "Illegally Dead" and I tried to move on with the likes of Ruth Downie's 'Ruso' novels or Rosemary Rowe's 'Libertus' series. Yet, as palatable as those alternatives were, I sorely missed the wisecracking Corvinus, the oddly modern vernacular Wishart chooses to give his bright, wealthy investigator. The pairing of Marcus and Rufia Perilla, stepdaughter of Ovid, was in serious danger of being as iconic as Marcus Didius and Helena Justina. When Marilyn Todd stopped her adventures of the "champagne loving, irreverent Claudia Seferius" in 2006 I was consoled with Corvinus. Then, as we know it all stopped - publisher issues. The kind of thing that readers give not a fig for, yet are forced to endure.
And then, five years later I stumbled across Bodies Politic and the next - No Cause For Concern. Both kindled instantly; I then saw the upcoming 'Solid Citizens' was due in July and a big grin spread over my face.
Happy? I kid you not, I was delighted.
OK, I may be two years behind but I sat and read this novel in two hours, devouring every word. It was all so familiar; like the thumbed nose Wishart gives to the language - we have Marcus using words that didn't exist till hundreds of years after his time, like: "Chop-Chop!", "boy-band", "top-bracket", "Very bonny", "In spades", "snazzy", "local wide-boy", "rubber-necking", and finally, the glorious sentence: "dirty-linen-furkling business."
The plot is what you'd expect of Wishart - this time Marcus receives a mysterious visit from one Dion, freedman and nervous informant passing what purports to be a letter from the deceased Macro asking him to investigate the charges of treason that led to his passing. In a few pages we discover the letter is bogus but that doesn't mean Marcus' sleuthing appetite hasn't been whetted and he trots off to see Caligula in order to get a sanction to investigate the "treason" and the "four top suicides in the space of eight months". In turn this leads him to Alexandria to both help Perilla buy some wedding cloth, but, more importantly, see where civil unrest is brewing under the suspiciously laconic Governor Flaccus. It's all very murky, the political maneuvering incredibly dangerous what with our hero dodging runaway carts, ad-hoc muggings, and obtuse suspects. In fact, as Marcus puts it: "this thing wasn't like a straightforward murder with a definite victim and a definite perp. Oh sure, there were bodies enough, but they were bodies politic and they'd killed themselves...it wasn't a matter so much of whodunit...as why it was done."
The only topic that got uncomfortable was the rabid antisemitism of Agron's wife Cass. I understand Wishart is setting up a riotous assemblage between the Greek and Jewish inhabitants of Alexandria as vital to the secondary plot but the vituperous monologue by the lady is repeated more often than is necessary. Sure, it shows how prejudice by the masses is based on vicious rabble-rousing rather than individual critical thinking, but I found it didn't add anything to the plot.
Anyway, Marcus Corvinus is back and this reviewer is delighted....

5.0 out of 5 stars Corvinus is back in a political mystery, 1 April 2011
It's nice to have back one of the best detectives in the now rather crowded arena of Roman mysteries.
Here Corvinus deal with one of his 'political' adventures, and again the plot is interesting and well connected with what we know actually happened.
I liked very much that Caligula isn't played as a deranged fool as usually happens. Other historical characters aren't so well outlined but I hope to meet them again in some future book.
As for the change in publishing house, the book looks a little amateurish and it was rather hard to get, but well worth the waiting time. I'm looking forward to see how Corvinus will deal with Claudius 'the idiot' - a rather dangerous Emperor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historical fiction buff, 3 Sept. 2014
All the twists, turns and humour of Wishart's other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to another Gordianus mystery!, 8 Jun. 2013
I have read and enjoyed all the Gorgianus books and this one was as enjoyable.
Bring on the next one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fed up of waiting, 28 Jan. 2011

I noticed that this book came with a delivery cost - which stopped me from buying it at all. I can only assume that either the Corvinus books weren't very popular and not selling (seems unlikely) or he had a falling out with Hodder (more likely).
And am very unsettled to read that Mr Wishart is getting some small details of his own creation wrong.

Whatever it is, the net result is a withdrawal of my support as a reader - I choose to buy from Amazon because of the good value of the books and the free delivery if you so choose. I have re-read my Corvinus books of which I have all, several times over, so hope to find 'Bodies Politic' on a discount shelf sometime soon.

So check out Steven Saylor - Gordianus is a cracking character.