5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Surprise
I was advised by a relative to go and see this film last October. I'd seen the trailer for it on TV and I didn't think a great deal of it. A sort of comedy scifi flick. I'd hadn't heard of Firefly, just that Serenity was a film version of that show.
Only once before have I gone into a cinema expecting so little, only to come out wanting to go see...
Published on 1 Feb 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I should have seen Firefly first
I watched this film because of all the great reviews but although it's not bad, I didn't think it was all that great. Kind of a bit like Star Wars crossed with a Western, but nothing really gripping about the characters or plot. One or two quite funny bits made me think of the machinima, Clear Skies.

I realise there's a mass of Firefly fans who think...
Published 21 months ago by John W

‹ Previous | 155 56 5761 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sci-fi chase movie, but not a classic, 15 July 2007
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I haven't seen any of the "Firefly" TV series so I came to this film with no idea about the characters.

It is science fiction, but the dialogue and most of the locations are so heavily based in the Spaghetti Western I was really surprised. As other reviews have said, there isn't a great deal of originality here- there are zombies, a military dictatorship, a deserted settlement, etc. etc. but it's not really covering new ground.

Like the Star Trek movies, the plot does it best to include an ensemble TV cast without sidelining any of them too much, but a couple of the characters end up 'Beverley Crusher'ed and could have been omitted altogether without too much loss.

On the extras side, there are many short deleted scenes but the best extra is the out-takes- some very funny gaffes.

I can guess why there might be some very dedicated Firefly fans- Nathan Fillion is a good leading man as Mal (and I expect girls find him cute) and there are some cute girls for the boy fans (Jewel Staite and Summer Glau) and the whole "on the run" story style lends itself to the fans really needing a conclusion. So "Serenity" may have been a Godsend to the "Firefly" devotees and a fun little run-around sci-fi flick for general SF fans, but a classic it's really not.

The fact this film was recently voted "best sci-fi film of all time" says a lot about the devoted fan base, but it's not true about the film.

3.0 out of 5 stars All over the place - but entertaining, 30 Jun 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
What a confused film. It wobbles along teetering on the verge of brilliance and embarrassment. Sometimes I felt myself loving it and at others I had my mouth open in shock at how bad it was. At times the editing is so off kilter I found myself left behind in the previous scene missing dialogue in the next. The storyline is convoluted and rarely makes sense but the whole film moves along at such a pace it hardly matters, and the script itself wavers between utterly embarrassing low notes and well crafted home runs. The special effects follow this pattern by also alternating between incompetence and excellence (with River's fight scenes beating the Matrix sequels hands down - even if her sudden reason for fighting makes no sense in the end scenes). A lot has been made of this being more Star Wars then the new Star Wars trilogy, but this is madness; The Operative is no Darth Vader, Captain Mal is no Han Solo and his spaceship, Serenity, is certainly no Millennium Falcon (it looks like a knackered duck). The whole thing has a distinctly, fun, eighties feel to it and has more in common with "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" than anything else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Forgettable, 1 May 2006
Mr. Warren M. Fisher (East Grinstead, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Well staged set pieces, quirky charcters, some nifty special effects and good acting (Adam Baldwin's star shines brightest, but is under-used), but this doesn't add up to a great or evn particularly good move. The plot such as it is is uninvolving and the film remains stubbornly forgettable. Overall a disappointment.

Passable entertainment for a mindless Saturday night, but ultimately fluffy, lightweight and totally forgettable. Rent, don't buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the series, 14 Oct 2005
Francisco "hifranc" (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
I saw the film at the cinema this evening. To tell the truth, whilst I did enjoy it, it was worse than the series. Additionally, there are a few inconsistancies with the series (especially with respect to River). Although you don't need to, I would definitely recommend watching the pilot movie before watching this as it has lots of background information (including a better definition of what a Reaver is).
The story is quite simple:
We quickly learn there is another reason why The Alliance wants to capture River. The crew of Serenity soon make a discovery or two that change Mal's, and the rest of the crew's, view of things. Will they be able to beat the odds?
In an effort to appeal to the mass-market, the film-makers ratchet up the action. However, some of the subtleties in characterisation and pacing are lost. Mal gets a few good one-liners, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars V.Good-Just Like Firefly, 30 Dec 2005
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
i only have 1 problem with this film, why did they feel that they had to kill Wash? he was the best! But apart from that horrible, horrible moment i really liked this film. it was exactly what i hoped it was, and it was great to see the whole cast make a reappearance, if not for very long. my favourite character is Jayne, so it was great to heard his v.funny jokes again. still, WHY WASH???

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, 31 Jan 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Well, like I say, this film is Quite Good. The plot, Quite Good, the characters, Quite Good, the acting, Quite Good, the bad guy, Quite Good.
Actually, the bad guy is the best, but only coz he has a sword.
The thing that prevents greatness is that the story has run out by the start of the film. We know the alliance is bad, really bad, in the first few scenes - so it comes as no suprise that they are shown to be, er, really bad by the end of the film. There was no empathy developed with the main recipients of the badness. At the point in the film where all was revealed I should have understood completely River's trauma and started beating my fists on the ground and shouting "Why? Why? How could you do that you really really bad baddies?". Instead I just shrugged my shoulders and reached for another handful of popcorn.
Some of the characters are a bit weak, being obvious hand-me-downs from the TV series working out their contracts. The captains love interest, for instance, does nothing but stand around in the background most of the film.
The whole technology thing is rather too familiar for 500 years into the future. Where are the fancy weapons? OK, the sword is cool, but hardly hi-tech. I'm sure they could do with warp drives, even if they are just hopping around the one solar system.
Finally, River is just a bonkers Buffy who only occasionally kicks ass.
Overall this would be brilliant as a TV series. Has anyone thought of that yet? You have to keep the sword though.
Don't get me wrong, I think this film is Quite Good - I just wouldn't swap The Matrix or Star Wars IV, V or VI for Serenity. I would consider swapping a Star Trek Movie, or one of those films where Tim Robbins/Arnie goes to Mars and All Is Not Well, or in fact any sequel to The Matrix.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 1 Jan 2006
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Cant express in words just how good this film is. So I wont try to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serenity not as good as the original Firefly series, 16 Dec 2005
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
It was a long time waiting for the film, but for me although a good film, it lacked the originality, cammeraderiery, well written scripts but above all the bond between the actors. I hope that a new series is commissioned because there is more to this than we have seen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Serenity, 10 Feb 2009
I was sadly dissaponted with this film. I was expecting allot more I have to say. Whilst the special effects hit most of the right boxes the acting was rather weak and found myself being distracted wth other things halfway through. It's a mediocre affair and would reccomend borrowing it before deiding you want to buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars All surface, little feeling, pretence at intelligence, 11 Oct 2006
Stephen E. Andrews "Writer" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serenity [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Will any filmaker ever really capture the feeling of great written space opera ? After watching 'Serenity', the answer still seems to be no. Amazon's idea that the film marries the western with SF is bizarre to say the least and reveals a lack of understanding of the pulp fiction markets both genre SF and westerns arose from. Let's set the matter straight now by stating what 'Serenity' is: it's simple space opera adventure, the purest form of pulp genre science fiction. But it's not necessarily a great example of such a film: 'Alien' and its immediate two sequels are about the only films that fit this description adequately.

I saw the trailer for 'Serenity' at the cinema and thought "Great - another dumb flick with few ideas, lots of 'young, cool' looking people quipping 'witty' dialogue.Just what we don't need." However many friends told me that 'Serenity' was well worth seeing if one is a hardcore SF fan. I guess my reaction reveals the limits of who is and who isn't an SF fan. This is more for people who like 'sci-fi' i.e. those who watch more films and TV series than read non-franchise books.

I'll admit I haven't seen the 'Firefly' TV series and I could tell from 'Serenity' that there obviously was some backstory, though I can't imagine it's very thought-provoking or exciting. 'Serenity' is after all your simple dystopian galactic empire versus rebels movie with an entirely obvious 'secret' thrown in. Plus a goth-lite girlie who is supposedly some kind of transcendental superhuman but is really just a dull mcguffin who indulges in pointless, over-long and tedious pseudo martial-arts sequences when the chips are finally down. Gully Foyle she ain't, literate viewers.

'Serenity' also suffers from looking, sounding and being filmed more like a TV series than a feature- in other words it's too long, focuses on cipher-like characters with very little character and dialogue that is either horribly pretentious or deeply unfunny (unless you're a twelve year old who has never opened a book that is). It has no gravitas. At its best, it looks like a Jim Burns painting, but even those of us who love Jim's book jacket art know that sometimes that airbrushing is a little too clean and perfect.

Maybe I should lighten up: perhaps 'Serenity' is just meant to be little else but of fun. But that's the problem - there is no real meat to get your teeth into unless your satisifed with the decades-dated scenarios and presentation of 'Star Wars' and 'Star Trek'. Viewers wanting to see something like Brian Stableford's Hooded Swan series or Colin Greenland's 'Take Back Plenty' or any other space opear with a bit of real magic and vertigo will remain disappointed.

In other words, if you like SF writing, this will bore you rigid. If you like sheeny surfaces and lack of depth, 'Serenity' is just the job.

‹ Previous | 155 56 5761 | Next ›

Reel Heroes: Serenity [DVD]
Reel Heroes: Serenity [DVD] by Joss Whedon (DVD - 2012)
5.00