Style Name: Fine Grater|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 September 2013
Dear Zyliss Coarse Grater,

I am so sorry I did not take you on holiday with me. I thought I'd be fine without you. I was wrong. I missed you so much. On the second day, I tried making a curry from scratch without you. I regretted it immediately. - trying to grate root ginger with an old fashioned parmesan grater took a lifetime and made me see that I had started to take you for granted. I promise never to do that again. I realise now your chunky handle is so comfortable when I grate with you. Your blades are so sharp. You make everything seem effortless.Our time apart made me realise how much I had come to rely on you - a little grate of dark chocolate on my cakes, a grate of pear into my muesli, shavings of cheese on my toast, grated coconut, grated fruit and veg for my weaning baby. You cope with everything so quickly and efficiently. Let's stay together. Forever. (Or until to you get blunt!)

Yours,

Me
x

PS I haven't mentioned your safety cover. I love that too x
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 August 2013
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an impressively made and very effective grater. The serrations are extremely sharp so care needs to be exercised in handling and in use. However, the results cannot be criticised and this grater slices through hard cheese or vegetables with supreme ease.

The handle is partially rubberised so that one's grip does not slip during use. My only very minor criticism would be that this implement does not have a hole in the handle so it is not possible to hang it from a hook in the kitchen if that is your preference. Sensibly there is a cover to put over it when stored which is sensible to protect the sharp edges from doing anyone damage.

As with all Zyliss items this comes complete with a five year guarantee, but it is so well made that I imagine they have few if any claims. Highly recommended but use with care due to the sharpness.
VINE VOICEon 9 August 2013
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very good grater. It's design makes it easy to use in that the handle fits nicely in the hand to give a good grip and the grating surface is curved to direct the food inwards to where you want it to be. There are two rubber grips to rest it firmly on a hard surface while grating and it is just as easy to hold it over something to grate e.g a saucepan or the surface of a cake as the handle is large and comfortable to hold. The shape and size of the grater means that it can fit along the side of my kitchen drawer quite nicely and there is a plastic shield to protect the grating surface when not in use so no risk of catching your finger on it in the drawer. My only reservation is that despite being described as a coarse grater it is not as coarse as I was expecting. It grates cheese beautifully if you want it to melt quickly in a sauce or over the top of a dish, chocolate grates nicely to cover the surface of a cake but when grating carrots to add to coleslaw or cheese for a salad or sandwich I thought it was too fine. To compare with the grated cheese you can buy in a supermarket it was nowhere near as thick as that.I will use this grater a lot but will not throw away my old one just yet.
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not a course grater at all.
Rather fine actually, so forget trying to get that perfect grated cheese.
It's best for vegetables and other things requiring finer grating - or of course Cheese too if you prefer it finer.

All in all, looks good, feels ok in the hand, and blades are sharp - very sharp.
Just hold in one hand and grate away as it's rather ergonomic shaped in design, and has some rubber bits so you can rest it on a worktop/table and grate - but to be honest, old skool ones work better.
It's Chinese made though, so those expecting something made in Sweden or England etc, no luck.

The plastic cover thing isn't great - fiddly to put on right.

All in all - ok grater but not Coarse (as advertised) and you can get decent 4 sides graters (and other similar to this) which are far more versatile and can actually coarse grate for half the price, and I can't help feeling that I prefer to use these other graters than the Zyliss as they're just easier to use
Style Name: Fine Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's a grater. It's a fine hand-held grater. It grates citrus peel,
chocolate and hard cheeses (whatever you do don't try it on soft ones!)
It's designed by Zyliss, a Swiss company but is manufactured in PRC
(China in fact if we're being perfectly transparent). It's got a sturdy
yellow plastic handle and a non-slip grip on the front-end which really
does keep it stable on a board or kitchen worktop while you're using it.

The stainless steel blade would indeed seem to be "razor sharp" as it
made short work of a somewhat stale piece of Parmesan I found lurking
at the back of the fridge behind some half-empty jars of pickles left
over from last Christmas (don't judge me - what's the oldest thing that's
ever turned up in your salad drawer?!) but take care to mind your knuckles;
I have little doubt that it'll expose sinew and bone as quick as a flash!

A nice piece of kit and much more efficient than my ancient upright one.

Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2013
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Zyliss coarse grater is designed for grating carrot, cabbage, cheese etc. The cutting surface measures 60mm wide by 140mm. Its frame is constructed from stainless steel rod bent into a rectangle with the two upper arms sporting a red plastic handle with a rubberised insert at the front to prevent the handle slipping. Across the bottom of the rectangle is silicone tube designed to stop the grater slipping on the work surface. The grater itself is made from a very thin sheet of very stiff stainless steel which has 15 rows of 5 grating teeth pressed out. These teeth are very sharp as my wife can contest as she managed to cut herself on trying it for the first time. Forewarned is forearmed!
In use the item to be grated is simply slid down the cutting surface, no great pressure is needed as, as I said before, the grating edges are very sharp.
A welcome addition to my kitchen armoury and brilliant for quickly and easily grating cheese for my lunchtime sandwiches.
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Other graters I've tried have always ended up blunt or bent. Probably because I'm a cheap skate when it comes to graters. Thanks to the Amazon Vine programme I got sent one of these Zyliss units to try and I am very impressed.

I can't believe how sharp the thing is - absolutely lethal if you make a wrong move, so you've got to be super careful with it. This seems fairly obvious but you've got to bear it in mind if you have little people who might want to grate cheese when they're that bit older.

It seems like it'll last forever. You can use it on the table top, or hold it at an angle - whichever you fancy, and it has a protective plastic case to keep the sharp edges out of the reach of fingers - which is a nice touch. The non-slip is very effective.

Not sure if it's coarse though? I think a few other reviewers have said similar.

Fantastic product.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2013
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used this grater for carrots & cheese so far and it is easy to use & wash up.

The flat grater is easier to use than a box grater and much easier to clean.

I already have a Microplane extra coarse grater which is the equivalent to this and must admit that I like that better as it is all stainless steel which I think will last longer than a plastic handle (my problem is I drop a lot of thing on the floor) - only time will tell on this. The plastic handle is non-slip which could be an advantage.

The Zlyiss grater is around £10 and the Microplane is around £21.

So you have to balance the handle versus the price when choosing which to get - the grating ability is excellent on them both.

There is a 5 year guarantee on the Zyliss.
VINE VOICEon 5 August 2013
A very good one.

There's only so much the layperson can really say about a grater. But I like this. It's easy to hold, having a solid & well-shaped grip, it's easy to clean, easy to use, doesn't take up too much space and is razor sharp -the guard that it comes with is no gimmick, especially if young children are around. The rubberised end-piece makes for a non-slip brace against a work-surface, and it makes short work of most solid items, root vegetables etc. It's worth partnering with the finer version for zest etc. If you cook a lot, it's worth investing in a couple of quality graters, and this is one well-worth having.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2013
Style Name: Coarse Grater|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As long as you are careful with this and concentrate on what you are doing you won't lose your fingers... I wouldn't let a child anywhere near it as it is extremely sharp. However, that said, I would not hesitate to recommend it as a cheese/chocolate/carrot coarse grater. Incredibly efficient and quick to use and as it goes in the dishwasher it is not a danger or a problem to wash up. I don't know if it will blunt with age but probably not - a very useful kitchen gadget. It comes with a protective cover which is the only thing I would criticize as it is fiddly to clip on and doesn't really slide in neatly. Otherwise first class.