on 19 June 2012
So this is the second of the 'Footsteps On The Mountain' series that I have read and I can only recommend them to everyone. You do not need to read them in the order that the author did write and experience them as they are fantastic pieces of literature about the title topic. This book explains Marks attempts in the Gasherbrum range. With great detail on how important weather plays a part in the success of a climb. As the weather was poor for him Mark turned his focus on to other climbers and their stories. I could not recommend this enough. I will be reading all of the stories as the are great fun. Very desciptive, its easy to set the scene as there are plenty of great photos included. Buy it!
on 7 December 2015
This is a gentle read that inspires the reader to want to know more about those fools who climb the highest of high peaks. The author's views are not overly callous (unlike some mountaineering writers have been) and although ultimately the trip in this book does not go entirely to plan, the reader finds that each page flows by with the enjoyment of well written prose.

As a retired mountaineer, I like to read truthful accounts. I am not interested in the self aggrandizing stories that claim heroism, all the while neglecting to mention that the climber pulled himself up a fixed rope put in place by an often underpaid sherpa. This book is honest, enjoyable and retains an innocent love of high places, yet retains the cautious reminders that the high peaks can be desperate places. Climbing big mountains is a funny sport, it hurts like hell, makes us climbers feel miserable while we do it and yet it fills us with such joy.

This book comes close to explaining this process, with out baffling the reader as to why we do it.
on 14 February 2013
This book is different from the accounts of great climbs written by famous mountaineers. It is still an amazing experience but he is part of a group and the challenges that arise from that. He is brave and committed but would probably be the first to admit he is not a Bonnington or a Veisturs. I enjoyed reading it because of the change of viewpoint, particularly the tensions between different expeditions.
on 10 August 2013
I have read many of Mark's 'Footsteps on the Mountain travel diaries' and this is one of my favourites. I like his simple, straightforward writing style, and find the observations on his co-climbers/trekkers, support teams and surroundings clear and interesting. He doesn't write long, detailed descriptions full of metaphor and simile. His narration isn't introspective and 'deep'. It's just the day to day 'this is what I saw, and this is how I felt'. Which is what I would expect from a diary, and that's why I like what he writes. I particularly like this diary as I would dearly love to go to the Karakoram and it gives me hope (and an idea of what it might be like!) I shall certainly be reading the rest of Mark's diaries.
on 22 March 2013
Another fantastic read from the " Footsteps on the Mountain travel diaries"

Mark is an excellent writer of the magnificent and beautiful mountain's he climbs, His attitude to climbing is extraordinary,
Always the professional, but he tells his story with humility and pride at his achievement's, And their have been many,
Always great photo's and always well researched, and I love hearing about life in Base Camp,
Just another brilliant book, Can highly recommend,
Shelagh,
on 15 June 2013
Another cracking book from Mark at a great price.

Anyone who aspires to climb big mountains needs to check out Mark's books.
He captures exactly what it is like to be out on trek for an extended period, be that on a successful attempt or when the weather isn't playing nicely.
Like his other books, this one is full of humour and covers the characters involved extremely successfully.

Great book - loved it.
on 12 June 2016
A real climber never bitches about the porters carrying more than what they are paid for... be grateful and stfu, do not hire guides that participate and perpetuate extortion and blackmail and don't come to Pakistan again this is no place to experience the raj days cowboy, sour puss wanna be climbers can stay in Nepal and India for that experience.
on 2 December 2012
An amiable account of what it is like not to climb a mountain. With walk on parts from climbing celebrities such as Veikka Gustaffson and a 'death or glory' Korean team, Mark Horrell's travel diary is a dose of realism from a mere climbing mortal. Gentle joking and engaging vignettes - for 77p, it's a good read - and the photos are great!
on 24 January 2013
Excellent insight as usual from Mark into commercial climbing, breath taking, fascinating, insightful and honest. He has a fantastic attitude towards his climbing, the most important point being, it's not getting to the top, it's living to try it again, and enjoying the amazing privilege of being able to do it in the first place. Bravo.
on 28 November 2012
As a avid reader of mountaineering books, my expectations were not met: not enough detail and more like a story some stranger tells you in the pub. I was hoping to read more about life in the camp and what people are like but it was just too sketchy. After reading the book I'm glad I only paid 77p.