5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful
Imaginaerum is quite simply one hell of an album, to the extent that I feel sure that in future years it will become an essential album for all those who claim to be fans of Symphonic Metal. Nightwish's seventh album, it is by far the most progressive of the lot, featuring everything from a full orchestra to folk instruments to even a mechanical music box in its wild and...
Published 13 months ago by William Axtell

2.0 out of 5 stars Imagine Its a Decent Album...
Nightwish is my favourite band and had not done an album that I didnt rate very highly. Although I was initially attracted to the band by their use of Tarjas fantastic Operatic voice, the last album, Dark Passion Play, was such a triumph that any doubts about having a Rock/Pop vocalist were removed. So for me, this release was looked forward to with intense anticipation,...
Published on 8 Dec 2011 by A. P. Fergusson

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever, sounds impressive - but something not quite right here?, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
This is a difficult album to review. I sort of half think that it's brilliant and the product of genius and the other half of me thinks (regrettably and uncomfortably) that it's rather overblown and full of hot air, with parts slipping into that awful territory of pretentiousness. For me, the best NW album, beyond doubt, is Century Child, which I can't imagine will (or can) be bettered. The lyrics and concept of Imaginaerum are amazing, emotional, intelligent, thoughtful. I do admire Tuomas's songwriting and poetic style and he's in good form here. I hate to say it because Anette seems like a lovely, genuine lady, but I'm not sure that she has the voice to sing for Nightwish when the chips are down. She has a GOOD voice, but not the power, depth and that touch of darkness (so necessary for Nightwish) that Tarja had. I would love to hear Tarja singing these songs. Somehow she could hit the soul. Marco sounds as good as ever, especially on I Want My Tears Back, but he seems under-used on this album. Not enough sections with just Marco singing - apart from the first song (in Finnish, beautiful but a bit out-of-place?) he's mainly just singing along with or behind Anette. Personally, I find Scaretale annoying, with Anette and Marco's quirky Pantomime voices, and I don't like Slow, Love, Slow - it's too bluesy and it's not Nightwish. And Tuomas just went a bit too far with poetry in Song Of Myself. Comes over as way too pretentious - and it's the sort of thing that you don't want to hear repeatedly. It's fine if music is poetic, but it should still be music, not actual poetry read out loud - or at least not for about 8 minutes. I'd also have to agree with the reviewers who say that it comes over a bit too much like a Disney movie soundtrack in places, rather than a Metal album. The last track, Imaginaerum, is a long instrumental piece made up of themes from the previous songs - and works amazingly well. Gorgeous! The overall impression I'm left with after hearing the whole album is very polarised, shall we say. I'm still not sure if I think it's a work of genius so fabulous that I can't take it all in and I'm not fully equipped to appreciate - or if Nightwish went a bit OTT this time - and they're still missing Tarja deep down. So the only fair star rating from me is middling.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst Nightwish album (so far?), 19 Dec 2011
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
a very, very weak album. A laquered pice of ...nothing. A mixture of BBC radio play and soundtrack. Enourmous dissappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
It was a Christmas present . We love the album.This is one of their best one. The instrumental cd is amazing.. highly recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-orchestrated - a disappointment, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
Nightwish were the world's #1 symphonic metal band until they decided to sack their key asset - their singer. Doing such a thing was fraught with risk, and they have since been paying the price for what in my view was a serious error of judgement. To make things worse, even though she was not the songwriter, my feeling is that the songwriting has become more ordinary since the sacking. The chord sequences and melody lines now seem only average, to my ears.

The female vocal line on this album is no longer "the real hook" as it used to be. Instead, there is way too much orchestration and choir swamping the songs, and also too much male vocal and merely average spoken passages. To be frank, this seems so far removed from the earlier material to seem like almost a different band.

Clearly a lot of people like the album, and that's good. But for me, they need to ditch their current style - and/or possibly do the unspoken act, and bring back the original singer. Nightwish need to do some very hard thinking in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of Nightwish since their first album, this has got to be the worst album so far. DPP puts this album to shame. Make an Ipod playlist from this album, select the tracks you like and maybe you will be left with one or two if you are lucky. If this is the way the band is going I hope its going to be another 4 years before they release anything else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightwish RIP, 31 July 2012
M. Asher "FRSL" (Kenya) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure about buying this CD after the rather forgettable DARK PASSION PLAY, now I wish I hadn't. It's terrible. The first track, while catchy, reminded me of Abba at their height. The rest is, for me, either unremarkable or trite: there's nothing to match anthems like Once, Ghost Love Score, or Ever Dream. The hard metal edge seems to have vanished: jazz tracks, child choirs and lullabies don't make up for it, neither does the fade out into some rather uninspiring poetry, which only serves to display the triviality of the 'concept' in a world that is currently on the verge of ecological collapse. For me, Nightwish have lost their mythological gravitas, and degenerated into a pop band: this isn't the band that sent an electric thrill down my spine the first time I heard Tarja sing. It wil be the last Nightwish CD I'll buy. Nightwish RIP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightwish fans don't bother., 15 Mar 2012
M B PALMER (Pevensey Bay, East Sussex, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
I have been a huge fan of Nightwish for years. But when Tarja left the band I thought that it might be all over.
Unfortunately, I was right. For me Anette simply hasn't got the voice to carry it of...
I have now removed it from my collection, very sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Imaginaerum (Audio CD)
AFTER HAVING WAITED EAGERLY SINCE DARK PASSION PLAY, F0R THIS NEW ALBUM, I CAN'T BELEIVE AFTER LISTENING TO IT, WHAT A TRULY DIRE ALBUM THIS IS. IF THIS IS THE BEST THAT NIGHTWISH CAN COME UP WITH AFTER SO LONG, I THINK IT'S TIME FOR THEM TO WRAP UP. I WON'T BE PURCHASING ANY FURTHER ALBUMS OR ATTENDING ANY FUTURE GIGS. THE ONLY POSITIVE NOTE IS THE ARTWORK IS EXCELLENT.

ARRAY(0xa637d1b0)