SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATA 6GB/s 7200rpm 2.5-inch Internal SSD
Size: 120GBPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:£189.99

on 21 September 2012
Rarely does any purchase satisfy so well! Here's the story:

A 3 or 4 year old £300 Clevo M76T laptop with T3000 dual core Intel 1.8GHz 1.9Gb and Hitachi 250Gb hard drive (SATA II). Installed Ubuntu right from the start and was up to 11.04. Reasonable performing laptop, all-in-all, but who likes to wait for things to start? It's bootup and starting applications that mostly drag, not lack of performance while running. Thought I'd give an SSD a try and this was the cheapest over 200Gb I could find and a known brand.

The SSD took under 5 minutes to install, unscrew to re-screw. Lid off, HD out, SSD in, lid back on and away you go!

Loaded Ubutu 12.04 de novo because I think rebuilding the operating system is good prophylaxis (the best hackers will be in there and you'll never, ever find out!). It took less than 15 minutes to build Ubuntu but, of course, hours to copy the backed-up files from a USB drive.

Here's the results using a hand-held electronic timer:

Cold start to login prompt; HD 56s, SSD 26s
Login to ready to use; HD 44s, SSD 8s
Cold start to ready to use; HD 100s, SSD 34s
LibreOffice Writer (first); HD 12s, SSD 2s
LibreOffice Writer (subsequent); HD 2s, SSD 2s (it's chached in memory)
FireFox (first); HD 9s, SSD 2s
FireFox (subsequent); HD 2s, SSD 2s
Chrome (first); HD 3s, SSD 1-2s
Chrome (subsequent); HD 1-2s, SSD 1-2s
Calibre (ebooks); HD 40s, SSD 7s
Shutdown; HD 8s, SDD 4s

Just what I wanted, significantly quicker startup and application loading. I doubt that I'd have got this with a bright new laptop without an SSD. You might get even better performance if you have SATA III. Now to see if it holds up over time.

Got Windows? I'd guess you'll get a ca 3X performance boost. If you don't want to rebuild your system it may be more hassle than this was. Look for the pricier kits that make a USB connected drive out of the SSD so you can image your system before you install it.

Late December 2012: still going as well as reported initially. Ditto June 2014 although the laptop has long since been passed down to "Miss Chocolate Fingers" - the drive, however, has now passed through two different laptops (without re-installation).
on 9 July 2012
After a delivery mistake,arrived a bit later than expected but now very happy with my new SSD. Clean Windows 7 install,took 20 mins for installation. Boots around 20 seconds, games load two or three times faster,downloads so much quicker. Recommend seller and item, great price again from Amazon.
on 3 June 2013
Which bit of this Solid State Drive does the "7200rpm" refer to?
Gigabytes I know, inches I accept, reluctantly, but rpm in something with no moving parts?
Is there also a rating for it measured in candelas, mph or atmospheres?

(I gave it 5 stars for entertainment value)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've wanted to upgrade to one of these for a while now, but didn't want to go through the hassle of re-installing everything all over again.

Recently however, my computer had some problems and the only way to get it back was to use my recovery disk, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to upgrade to an SSD.

I purchased an Akasa AK-MX010 SSD and HDD Mounting Kit with the SSD to help it stay snug inside my PC-tower and it did just that.

Once I had everything sorted out and booted up my computer, after the BIOS sorted itself out I was shocked at how fast the computer loaded itself up, even once I had re-installed all the drivers and software, starting up the PC was almost instant and I could dive right onto the internet and load up all my programs with no hassle, something I couldn't do on my previous HDD.

Overall I was very impressed, though I'm disappointed I didn't go for a higher capacity, I'm glad I had upgraded.

Personally I would recommend having the OS, drivers and all your software installed on the SSD, but keep your files on a separate SSD/HDD, this way you wont clog up your main SSD and keep it running super fast.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a fantastic drive. Uses the NEW 24nm toggle nand along with the SF 2281 controller. Fantastical 4k write speeds (over 100MB/s!!). This little 120GB drives outscores the 240GB Vertex 3 MaxIOP by ~15,000 in the Vantage HDD test suite!! It's faster than a V3 120gb for less money!

Very fast real world speeds (i.e. not benchmarks). Sleep and wake are instantaneous. Programs like CS5 and Xcode launch in .5 seconds.
Zero issues so far with OSX, no crashes/freezes/hangs/etc... I put my laptop to sleep a lot (10-20 times a day) and no problems.
Uses Sandisk's own toggle NAND as well as custom firmware. I wouldn't say this is a huge thing, but I like the fact that everything except the controller was made in house (similar to Intel's drives).
Although its rather new I haven't seen a review yet to say anything truly bad about this drive.

As of this writing it does not appear that sandisk is interested in releasing firmware updates (via a post in their forums). I actually can find both pros and cons to this but only time will tell whether or not this will be an issue.
Right now there is no "toolbox" for this drive that would allow things like viewing drive health, easy secure erase, etc... like some other drives (although I've heard rumor sandisk is working on one).
Drive seems to use just a tad more power than some of the other current gen SSD's. I think it's pretty minor but something to possibly consider if you're putting this in a laptop.

Other Thoughts: I upgraded from an Intel x-25m drive in my Late 2011 macbook pro to the Sandisk Extreme. I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. I didn't bother benchmarking it, didn't see any point. I'm only interested in how well the drive works in real world usage (startup, wake, launching programs, etc...). I can say there is a real noticeable increase in speed from the x-25m drive (mostly in sleep and wake scenario), not much of a difference in speed over other current gen drives like the samsung 830 or M4 that I've tried. Only reason I purchased this drive because I needed a new SSD and this was what was on sale at the moment (~1/GB). And the fact that it has given me zero problems so far means I give it 5 stars.
on 2 July 2013
This is my first SSD. I installed Windows 7 and other programs. I have Steam, Catalyst Control Center and my anti-virus running on startup as well as services for my gaming keyboard and mouse. I have timed it at 20 seconds from pressing the power button to Windows being able to launch programs which is very impressive. With all programs closed my system takes around 5 seconds to shut down. Steam launches so quick at the moment that my wireless adapter has not had time to connect so Steam has to launch in offline mode. Annoying, but definitely not a fault of the SSD.

One negative aspect would be that the write speed is displayed as 500mb+ but when transferring data within the SSD I found it was was transferring at around 200mb/s.

This could be an issue with the Sata cable though. It's currently connected to a Sata 3 port at 6mbps but I've noticed that some Sata cables only advertise as up to 3mbps. I've ordered a listed 6mbps Sata cable. I have no idea about the current cable.
on 28 October 2012
The hard drive in our two-year old desktop Dell died so I installed this as the replacement. Fortunately we still had the Windows installation discs so it was straightforward to reinstall Windows 7 (and this only took about 30 mins). A bonus is that the PC now boots very much faster than it did before and makes much less noise. We have a NAS drive which stores most of our stuff so the hard drive is only for Windows and other installed software and we are now two months after installation and the drive is still showing that it has 62Gbytes free, so 120Gbytes is enough unless you need to store lots of media files on the same drive. Less experienced folks will need to know that in addition to the drive you might need a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD Converter (such as Icy Dock MB882SP-1S-2B) if the drive bay in your PC is 3.5 inch. Extra bonus is that if your old hard drive really has broken it's fun to take to bits and marvel at the incredible design.
on 16 December 2012
Bought the 480gb version and installed as a replacement in desktop. wow...this is a big upgrade. Can not believe how fast win7 boots up and how fast photoshop CS6 loads the only prog a bit sluggish is Sony Vegas Studio 11 which takes about 15 seconds. The only problem is I have relatively small overhead of 30-40gb of free space.

Some installation notes. I tried to copy the existing sata 600gb disk after reducing the drive to 400gb but Win7 would not backupandrestore to the SSD. Tried 3x no luck even when I reduced the size to 200gb. Fortunately Acronis true copy 2013 (free trial) did the trick. I highly recommend this drive for laptop and desktop users. You may have to format the SSD drive (use format fs = ntfs from command prompt). Also note: nothing is supplied in the box, just the bare drive, no cables, no cd.

Once you get it working and installed its an awesome stepup from mechanical drives.
on 26 June 2012
If your pc is slow, it is likely the HDD and not the cpu or memory. I have a Q6600 chip and 4gb of ram but my pc was still slow, installed my system on this and BOOM, desktop instantly usable once booted, boot times halved, battlefield 3 runs much better, pc instantly usable after exiting battlefield 3 (used to hang like crazy before), no more jerks in battlefield 3 which everyone seems to put down to v sync and a aliasing but i can tell you now it is nothing to do with this and is the fact that normal hdds are to slow to keep up with it. With this, no more jerks, or lag, and i enter the round quicker that most people, also i am only running the hdd in a sata 2 slot, if i had a sata 3 motherboard would be even quicker! Skyrim also runs a hell of a lot quicker than it ever did. This is a must for any gamer. Before i had my games on a sata 2 samsung f3, this is way better.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 September 2012
I purchased a number of SSD drives in the past this one being the largest. It's difficult to gauge when to buy this sort of drive as the price keeps dropping. It's a case of buy it when you need it don't buy it just in case as you will usually get a better price the later you leave it.

This is a high performing device from a well-known brand, also unlike lots of other SSDs on the market there doesn't appear to be any issues with the stock firmware. I'm only using it on a SATA II motherboard so I'm unable to push the speeds available on this drive. I'm happy to report it is fully capable of SATA II speeds and I can't wait until I buy SATA III motherboard to Fully utilise the speed this drive can give.

I'm just waiting for the price of larger drives to come down so I can replace some more of my drives with these beauties.

See one answered question