5.0 out of 5 stars Top Performer
Published on 12 Jun. 2012 by A. Whiteford

1.0 out of 5 stars One to be avoided
Not much wrong with the Disk, initially, then it crashed taking my Windows 7 OS with it, wouldn't allow me to restore, with a bad sector write. 5 Months old and the RMA process with Sandisk was painful to say the least, did you do this, did you do that, have you tried this... each email took at least 24 hours to get a response, best part of a week to get an RMA number...
Published on 29 Oct. 2012 by Mr. Peter Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Performer, 12 Jun. 2012
A. Whiteford "donka154" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-240G-G25 (Personal Computers)
Used this as an upgrade for my Macbook Pro. I had already enabled the Trim hack in advance for OSX. Put the drive in an external caddy and used Disk Utility to clone the original drive. Swapped them over and booted up. Initial boot took around 30 seconds to boot up completely - something I believe to be common. I rebooted the Macbook and the next boot took 10 seconds to completely boot and all subsequent boots have remained the same. All operations have sped up including things like audio conversions in iTunes to the obvious like application boot up times - Aperture in 1 second, most other apps even quicker. Shutting down is also improved, from clicking shut down to a completely powered down machine is 1 second.
I have not encountered a single issue so far in almost a month of use - this is running the latest R201 firmware for the SSD. I recommend this drive for Macbook users although there may be a compatibility issue with 2008 Mac users with nVidia chipsets - something that is common with Sandforce based drives. The drives firmware can be updated on a Mac by downloading the firmware and creating a bootable CD using Disk Utility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast SSD drive, 20 Mar. 2012
RayG - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This SanDisk 120GB SSD is 2.5" in size, which is physically the size of a standard laptop hard disk. This means it will slot nicely into virtually any laptop as a replacement drive, but out of the box it won't fit into a standard 3.5" drive bay on a desktop computer. You will need a 2.5" to 3.5" converter bracket, but this isn't supplied, so you will need to purchase one of these yourself if you want to mount this correctly in a desktop PC. Fortunately, they are pretty cheap and readily available on Amazon, like this one here Icy Dock MB882SP-1S-2B 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch SATA HDD/SSD Converter - Black. Having SATA connections makes physically installing the drive a breeze, once you have the right adaptor to hold the drive in place. For laptops it's usually a matter of simply pulling out your old drive and slotting this one in.

It's a SATA III drive, and is also backwards compatible with SATA II. The bandwidth limit of SATA II is 3 Gb/s, and this drive reads at a theoretical maximum rate of 550 MB/s (about 4.4 Gb/s), so in theory you will be limiting the speed of this SSD by using a SATA II connection. In reality however, there won't be that much of a difference as the peak speed of an SSD drive is rarely ever reached in everyday use. Using a SATA III connection will give you a bandwidth limit of 6 Gb/s, which will theoretically allow you to max out your SSD's read/write speed.

Being a solid state drive, it is totally silent and has no moving parts, so shouldn't get hot or wear out with use. Flash memory does have a finite number of read/write cycles, but modern drives should last for a very long time and are at least comparable with the lifespan of standard hard disk drives.

Once you have installed the SSD into your computer, you'll then need to install an operating system. Windows 7 is better optimised for SSDs, but Vista is still OK. I tried to install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition but for some reason the installation failed with error 0x80070017 (bad media). I was able to install the 32-bit version of Windows 7 without any problems, but in the end I opted for the 64-bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate Edition SP2, which installed flawlessly. If you want to install Windows XP on this you will probably need additional drivers for the installation depending on what storage controller your motherboard uses. For Vista onwards you shouldn't need anything else. You may need to tweak your BIOS settings to use AHCI or change which SATA controller you use, but the default settings of most motherboards should probably suffice as they are.

OS installation took about 15 minutes, and then the usual 30 minutes of downloads/restarts while the updates to Windows were applied. Although this phase of the installation didn't seem that much faster than a fresh HDD installation, once the OS was up and running properly I immediately noticed a massive speed increase in opening applications. IE9 opened virtually instantly, and copying data around on the SSD was lightning quick. I really wasn't expecting such a noticeable speed increase, but it is much, much faster than my old 7,200 rpm 1TB HDD - and I'm running this off a SATA II connection - it should be even quicker on SATA III.

The computer I installed this into is actually my media centre, which was previously almost silent apart from the noise of hard disk access. With the SSD installed, the hard disk access noise is now gone, which is great. If you're installing this on a gaming PC then you may not notice the different in noise level as your GPU fan is probably already loud enough to drown out any HDD noise.

The only downside to this SSD is, like any SSD, the capacity. 120GB is absolutely fine for my media centre, which basically streams all its data from other sources, and is also fine for a light-use computer that has only a few programs installed. However, most people will find 120GB too small for moderate use and will need to couple this SSD with a larger HDD for storage. The usual setup is to install the operating system on the SSD, and everything else on the HDD, and this should keep Windows snappy while not constraining the amount of data you store. Just make sure that the SSD is set to boot first in your BIOS settings, otherwise your PC may boot from another other HDD if they have their own boot sector set up.

Overall, this SSD is very impressive. Like any SSD, it may take a bit of fiddling to install correctly, but once up and running it is lightning quick, silent, lightweight, and the 120GB capacity is certainly a large enough for a primary hard disk. A highly recommended SSD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, stable SSD, 19 Jun. 2012
Pros: - Very fast, both from my experience with it, and from currently published "professional" reviews applying their benchmarks. FWIW, this drive falls into Tom's HW classification of a "Tier One" SSD as of the writing of this review. The site doesn't list this model specifically because they haven't reviewed it yet. But a 240GB-256GB drive with 2nd-gen Sandforce and Toggle NAND are Tier One.

- Stable so far -- in 3 weeks of heavy use have not had a blue screen yet.

- Sandisk makes their own NAND for this drive, which on paper is a good thing for reliability because they can cherry-pick their own NAND and are familiar with it. This advantage is cited frequently for Intel and Samsung SSD's, which both make their respective NAND's.

Cons: - Sandforce controller. A con for some who have been burned by previous SSD's with Sandforce controllers, or who simply don't trust Sandforce. To me, it seems like the quality of a Sandforce controller has a lot to do with each SSD manufacturer's implementation and the firmware that is used. OCZ's tend to be notorious for issues related to the firmware. I'm comfortable enough that the firmware used in the drive is stable. However, those uncomfortable with Sandforce can look to the Samsung 830 (which uses Samsung's own controller) or the Crucial m4 (which uses a Marvell controller).

- No disk copy software or mounting bracket provided. But if you want to install this in a desktop that doesn't have a 2.5" bay, you either have to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter or zip-tie it in.

Other Thoughts: For those contemplating ANY SSD, it will make a big change in your computing. On my i7-3770k with this SSD and 9 HDD's, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit boots from BIOS startup to login screen in about 19 seconds flat. Porky programs like MS Word and MS Excel start up like this: ClickLogoUp. Almost instantaneous startup. Massive programs like Adobe Photoshop CS5 start up in a few seconds.

I have an early 2011 MBP SSD, a 128GB Samsung 830, a 256GB Samsung 830 in different notebooks/desktops. I would NEVER go back to a system/app install via hard drives anymore.

My own opinion on value: I would pay about 5-10% more to buy this drive over a Crucial m4. Faster, even though most of the time you won't notice the difference. Better components like Toggle NAND. I would pay about another 5%-10% for a Samsung 830 -- should be more solid and so far looks great. If you are transcoding video with an SSD, get the Samsung, it is much faster at incompressible data.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect upgrade for a Laptop, Netbook or Ultrabook!, 11 Jun. 2012
And yes! it would also be great upgrade for a PC but you can get away running a smaller SSD for a boot drive if you have enough hard drives in your system (I have 5 so a 128GB SSD is fine for my needs!)

This SSD was initially my 2nd choice as I was originally after a Samsung 830 which was priced a little cheaper back then and priced so well that it was sold out almost instantly everywhere, I had spent a week with my order back-ordered with no solid ETA on new stock. So i gave up and decided to order one of these Sandisk SSDs after reading some great reviews.

the SSD has been out for roughly about 3 months according to quite a few reviews but hasnt gathered much publicity until the massive spate of price drops everywhere.

I bought this SSD to replace the hard drive in a rather weak HP DM1 (3200SA)laptop running a AMD E-350. Its a good laptop but its rather slow and can be quite sluggish when there are few windows open and applications running in the background.

Having already put a Crucial M4 in my desktop PC a few months back, I knew exactly what to expect when I installed this SSD into my laptop and it has transformed this little laptop into a rocketship!!!

==== HP DM1 USERS =====

I was cautious at first and worried if i would be able to run the SSD at its fully rated speed after hearing many reports that the Sata controller for AMD based DM1s were really weak, but i was pleasently suprised after running a quick ATTO benchmark.

I am getting the FULL speed out of this SSD.

Unlike most newer models of DM1 that came after the 3200 series, mine shipped with a 7200RPM Western Digital Scorpio Black. This made the under side of my DM1 quite warm after prolonged usage or even when i had left the laptop to idle for 30mins after booting it up to the point you could almost feel the heat seeping up through the keyboard. It wasnt HOT 'HOT' but it was still very uncomfortable when resting my wrists on the laptop to type as the plastic got pretty warm.

With the SSD installed the issues i was having with the heat have totally vanished. The SSD gets a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit warm, but its not enough to heat up the rest of the laptop like it did previously. I am rewarded by lightning bootup speeds as well as super fast load times from the second I enter my login passowrd to a fully loaded desktop thats ready and waiting for whatever I want to do next.

Added bonus is the SSD makes the laptop whisper quiet! you wont hear it unless the fan starts spinning up. so theres no more humming or clicking of hard drives!

=====================

If like me you have trouble securing a Samsung 830 - this Sandisk Extreme wont disapoint you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid SSD...., 8 Jun. 2012
Dad "Just a DAD" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Fast in everyday use, everything is instant.
Fast in benchmarks (560MB/s Read, 530MB/s Write) which means I'm getting above the advertised speeds.
10 sec from POST to desktop
Feels sturdy, metal casing
Fits in HAF 932 BE SSD Tray without problems
Using as OS drive and can record with Fraps 1920x1080 @90FPS max graphics in every COD and BF3, no storage bottleneck.

Keep in mind that's close to 66GB of video per 15 minutes of gameplay.

I updated firmware out of the box and have owned this SSD for two weeks with no issues whatsoever. No BSOD, no slowdowns, all is good.

The sandforce controllers have had a terrible reputation recently however the issues have been fixed via latest firmware in my and other user's experiencences.

This is solid

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quick drive for OS install., 20 Mar. 2012
Dicko (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used this drive to install my operating system on to speed up my PC as my boot times were getting horribly slow. I installed Windows 7 64 bit on it and it worked straight away which impressed me for starters!

Now, 120GB is not huge, but it's certainly ok for a Windows 7 install and a few programs. All my other media is located on my main 1TB hard drive.

I have to say, it has really made my PC boot, shut down and open and close programs a lot quicker. My boot time has nearly halved and accessing Google chrome is pretty much instant!

I'm impressed, I just wish these drives came in much larger capacities, but i'm sure they'll be on their way soon. 500gb would be excellent.

If you're building a silent PC just for email and office programs, this is absolutely ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars What on Earth is this ... ?, 3 Jun. 2013
Which bit of this Solid State Drive does the "7200rpm" refer to?
Gigabytes I know, inches I accept, reluctantly, but rpm in something with no moving parts?
Is there also a rating for it measured in candelas, mph or atmospheres?

(I gave it 5 stars for entertainment value)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install,runs very,very fast, 9 July 2012
After a delivery mistake,arrived a bit later than expected but now very happy with my new SSD. Clean Windows 7 install,took 20 mins for installation. Boots around 20 seconds, games load two or three times faster,downloads so much quicker. Recommend seller and item, great price again from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth it !, 16 April 2012
This is a great upgrade to an existing PC or a new system. I will not go back to normal hard drives for my operating system.

Quickly delivered and well packaged.
Just make sure you look up how to install an SSD on the internet so it works correctly. You will need to change a couple of things for the best performance.

The SSD I purchased is on a SATA2 motherboard not SATA3 ,which would make it achieve its full potential, but it has very noticeably sped up loading times of windows and several games I use on a regular basis. I did a fresh install of windows 7 and it has worked flawlessly. There were no firmware upgrades needed as per the M4 , I dont believe Sandisk will be doing any either though.

I was going to buy a SSD from a well known PC supplier i have used previously but the postage added another 10 pounds onto a more expensive price. Top marks to amazon for price and postage charges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and v fast, 10 Sept. 2012
Miss Knos (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Original bought one of these from ebuyer for my win7 system, boots in under 15 sec and web surfing is now a breeze, programs open so much faster to. System also runs a couple of degrees cooler.

Was so impressed I have ordered 2 more for another PC and to try in my PS3 (not sure if that will work but will try anyway)

If you're fedup with waiting for windows to do its thing and want a system that flies get this, even running on a SATA II controler it flies. I wouldn't bother with getting a SATA III PCI-e card unless you're willing to spend some money.

Just waiting for MATX motherboard with SATA III and USB 3 to finish my system off.

UPDATE 20 Sept2012

Just an update for those who want to know if this works in PS3. YES.

Though it works there is one bit of info I recently found out. The PS3 apparently uses a SATA I controler so if you can save money or get a bigger drive going for a SATA II unit then go for it.

I suggest google search "ps3 ssd" and looking at some of the links, they're quite informative