4.0 out of 5 stars Sad shades
The stately, almost staccato pace of some of Terence Davies' films can make them difficult to watch; the technique occasionally feels like a none-too-subtle attempt to imbue scenes with an importance they might not otherwise possess. Fortunately, in The Deep Blue Sea, it works extremely well, helping to punctuate the shift between the past and the present, stave off...
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Dariush Alavi

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a Shallow Blue Lake
Although I was expecting a brittle and dated unhappy love affair, this remake of Rattigan's play proves quite moving up to a point. Set around 1950, the film starts with the attempted suicide of Hester Collyer, privileged wife of a high court judge who has sacrificed her reputation and material comforts to live in a dreary flat with Freddie, a former wartime pilot...
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by Antenna

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellant, 25 Aug 2012
Cj Dower - See all my reviews
Excellant film with strong acting from the lead charactors.Not for those who prefer action packed blockbusters.It is moves at a gentle pace examining each of the charactors as the story unfolds and draws you into their world and emotional reponses.Never obvious and often moving.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO Subtitltes, 2 Dec 2012
R. Vine (UK) - See all my reviews
Unable to comment on product as no sub titles. If production companies can not be bothered to include sub titles they should at least have the courage and courtesy to include this important information in the product information.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay film but not much of a story, 25 Feb 2014
bought it because have just discovered Tom Hiddleston from Hollow Crown and Donmar Warehouse NT live production and wanted to catch up on his back catalogue. Film is okay but very slow and not much of a storyline, great to see tom in action though ! Would not rush to see it again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Laborious, depressing and, quite frankly, horribly boring, 7 Dec 2011
This film was destined to be polarising from the very beginning. Effectively an Art House depiction of despair and the longing to break free of social shackles.

In one camp will inevitably be people who will think this is a poignant, touching and a starkly beautiful account of a womans bid for emotional freedom and subsequent spiral into despair when things don't work out.

In the other camp will be people like myself, who found this film self indulgent and painfully dull. From the start I was massively irritated by the jarring, screeching violin score. This went on for so long that I genuinely thought that there wasn't going to be any dialogue, just a succession of flashbacks with that terrible music laid over the top.

Finally, the music abated and led into an hour and a half of complete misery with iceberg slow, laborious cinematography. This would include in the main part the (fantastic) Rachel Weisz being filmed sitting or standing in a drab 1950's bedsit, usually smoking and looking thoughtfully into space/out the window. The rest of the film is filled with people in the depths of despair all for their own various reasons.

To be fair, the acting was superb by the entire cast, particularly Weisz, and there were some (very) brief moments of enjoyment in the film. Technically, the film was very well made and had a lot of attention to detail. The technical ability of the amazing Terence Davis or the acting ability of the cast is absolutely not in question here however.

Now, before I get a torrent of critism and comments along the lines of "you obviously didn't get what the film was trying to achieve", let me say that this isn't the case. I fully understand what the film was trying to achieve. It was trying to make the audience empathise with the suffering of the characters. And, to be fair again, it does this very well. A little too well perhaps as I was thoroughly depressed when the film had finished and so were the other people I saw this with. The film came across to me as pretentious and self indulgent with virtually no enjoyment to be had. It may have been successful in what it was trying to achieve but in my opinion, films are entertainment, not torture. If you leave a film wishing to the high heavens you hadn't just subjected yourself to it then something has gone horribly wrong.

I am aware that I am not the target demographic and no doubt there will be people predictably thinking "go back to watching Die Hard" etc etc. Let me just clarify that I really can appreciate a good film. Unfortunately in my opinion, this film was one to forget. Listless, lifeless and dare I say it, at the same time a wee bit grandiloquent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, not for me, 26 April 2012
Don't get me wrong, I like many kinds of films but Deep Blue Sea simply left me cold and utterly untouched. I don't need car chases and shoot outs to be entertained (although in their place they are fun) but this really was painfully slow and depressing. Nothing happens at all for ages to start with except an awful wailing violin playing constantly over actors looking meditative and thoughtful. The film is saved from only getting one star because the story does move along in the middle but peters out in a most unsatisfactory manner to end and I just felt quite flat when I want to be entertained. This is fine if you are someone who enjoys films full of long lingering shots of sad people in a grey world, but just not for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Deep Blue Disappointment, 10 Oct 2012
I'm quite a Rattigan fan and loved the play when I saw it with Greta Scacchi a few years ago, so I was interested to see it had been made into a film, especially with such a great cast. Having missed it at the cinema, I was really looking forward to watching it and couldn't believe my disappointment. Where was Rattigan's humour and sensitivity? The characters here were dull, self absorbed and, quite frankly, deserved each other. That wasn't true of the play I saw a few years ago or the old TV version with Penelope Wilton. And why were there so many pub scenes with people singing? Did everyone sing in the 50s? I doubt it. If Terrence Davies wanted to make a soap opera based around a tragic love affair, why didn't he write his own instead of spoiling such a wonderful play.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 14 Dec 2013
The most boring film I have ever watched.
Don't waste your time with this rubbish.
The main character did not gain my sympathy or interest.
Poor Rachael Weiss must regret appearing in this.
Watch the weather forecast instead, far more engaging.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 22 Aug 2012
Can't say that I cared for any of the characters in this rather clumsily directed melodrama with its irritating gurning music. The two main characters were fairly loathsome, leaving me wishing that "Hester " had succeeded in her suicide attempt and saved us all the tedium. This may have had something to do with the dreadful acting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Passion always leads to something ugly, 23 Sep 2012
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I can't quite recall how "The Deep Blue Sea" ended up on my Lovefilm rental list.Must have seemed a good idea at the time , but after watching it I must confess that it wasn't really my sort of film. It is set in post war London where a wealthy judge's attractive wife played by Rachel Weisz enters into a passionate affair with an ex RAF pilot , who is younger than her and much more lively and fiery than her older,sober husband with whom she has grown bored. She leaves her husband and moves into a run down rented flat with her lover. However this new life brings new problems that she never faced in her married life with the kindly judge. This film is slow moving and mostly quite dull, despite Weisz's impressive performance.We never really know what led to her suicide attempt which is the turning point in her relationship with the young pilot in a film that doesnt quite run smoothly.I found it hard to identify with and empathise with any of the characters in this period romantic drama. As I said , this film was not my cup of tea and wont live long in the memory. Incidentally Cora Cross from EastEnders makes an appearance as the lovers landlady...

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could watch, 2 Dec 2012
I was so looking forward to seeing this great Rattigan piece with such a stellar cast BUT - NO SUBTITLES!! sad but true in this day and age.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

The Deep Blue Sea [Blu Ray] [Blu-ray]
The Deep Blue Sea [Blu Ray] [Blu-ray] by Terence Davis (Blu-ray - 2012)
9.16