5.0 out of 5 stars A must for serious students of history!
I stumbled upon this film thinking it was Spielberg's Lincoln. Thankfully it was not. This film has greater emotive depth and tense action sequences than (I am told) Spielberg's Lincoln has.

Published 1 month ago by historybuff

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd hybrid...
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is an odd mixture. From mayhem specialist Bekmambetov, I was expecting a silly but fun action drama set during Lincoln's youth. What I didn't expect was this decades-spanning effort which makes the odd decision to blend silly supernatural hijinks with serious historical fact - like crossing 'Buffy' with a historical biopic.
While it...
Published 19 months ago by Benminx

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd hybrid..., 21 Mar 2013
While it adds a distinct flavour of the unusual and gives the film some individuality, it also slows things down and grants it an odd, occasionally inappropriate feeling of mocking deadly serious historical events.
However, as the lead Benjamin Walker is capable, if a little bland. Dominic Cooper outshines him for charisma by a New York mile, and Rufus Sewell is deliciously evil as his vampiric nemesis.
The action is frequent, although oddly unimpressive in several scenes. However, the initial confrontation with a vampire, a visually extraordinary horseback pursuit, and an early face-off between the arch enemies are extremely impressive. While not as flat as similarly toned historical supernatural actioner 'Jonah Hex', and no classic, this is still a fun, and occasionally very cleverly written and entertaining film. Worth a watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for serious students of history!, 29 Aug 2014

I would say that this film is generally very realistic. The only place where it deviates a little from believability is when one of the vampires throws a horse at Abraham Lincoln. While I do not question the strength of the horse-throwing vampire, the physics of horse flight is probably not accurately portrayed.

I think the film will appeal to those who are not very pedantic and are willing to overlook slight inaccuracies in the trajectory of a horse that has just been thrown by a vampire.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment!, 23 Dec 2012
I have just watched this film. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is very entertaining and full of action, from start to finish. OK, so it may not be very historically accurate and some liberties are taken with that, but the constant action more than compensates for that. It is reasonably violent and very gory, so young children should not be allowed to watch this film. The acting was generally very good and it flowed very well and did not drag at all. A lot of the action is produced with the help of a lot of CGI, but it was done very well and did not really look fake at all. I did not manage to see this film at the cinema, which I regret, but I am glad that I caught it on DVD. Four stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, 5 Jan 2013
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Firstly I don't care if this film is historically accurate...anyone who goes to see a film with 'Vampire Hunter' in the title expecting historical accuracy is an idiot in my opinion.
This is a great, absorbing, action-horror with some very clever interweaving of established historical facts. I found the entire film to be excellent entertainment from start to finish. I watched the 3D blu-ray and I can say that I was very impressed with the 3D - there's very little in the way of ghosting and the amount of depth perception is impressive. Thankfully, the director never goes for the 'Oooh, that's 3D' shot of things awkwardly being thrust towards the screen; instead favouring the technique of staging shots with a lot of fore, middle and background detail - although I will say that the burning embers during the train sequence really did seem to 'come out of the screen'.
All performances are strong, but of special note is Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who manages to make Mary Todd Lincoln a very sympathetic and rounded character despite her limited screen time - most notably during her breakdown when she slaps at Lincoln.
The vampires are, thankfully, of the horrific scary variety rather than the beautiful, glittery type and this film benefits greatly for that. Masses of teeth and bad skin are the norm for these vamps and I found them a joy to watch.
Having watched the film twice in as many days I can honestly say it's a really great piece of escapism and one to watch many time over. Is it going to tax your brain? Probably not; but it should entertain thoroughly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-made gore fest, 11 Dec 2012
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When young Abraham Lincoln angers a man (who happens to a vampire), the man takes his revenge by killing the boy's mother. Lincoln then dedicates his life to finding vampires and killing them with his silver-tipped ax.

I really enjoyed this movie. Yes, it's horrifically gory at times, but the clever mix of fantasy and true events is very well done and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. We follow Lincoln from store clerk to the White House. The movie isn't playing for laughs, it's utterly serious. I actually found it more entertaining than Daniel Day-Lewis' "Lincoln."

The title had me expecting a cheesy, low-budget slasher, but the production values are high and the special effects are excellent. The acting is also very good; Benjamin Walker plays a convincing Lincoln and Rufus Sewell is truly menacing as his nemesis.

This is a surprising, clever story that includes just enough historical facts to make it almost plausible. A lot of blood, but still recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film, so now we know how the ' ..., 23 Aug 2014
Amazon Customer (LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
An excellent film, so now we know how the ' yanks ' beat the British to gain independence , and remain the biggest ' blood sucking ' nation on the planet .

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Feb 2013
Some good graphics, and scenery, but the story line and flow is very poor.
At the end of it, I thought - what was the point behind that.
Watch it and make up your own mind.
Bought this one for the ultraviolet so that I could download it and watch it on my kindle fire - that bit was fine, but I've deleted it now because its not a film I would watch more than once.

2.0 out of 5 stars SUPER.... retarded!!, 15 Sep 2014
Four score and several months ago our forefathers brought to all nations a film so retarded that I watched it and thought to myself... wow that is retarded.

This film is a weird mix of supernatural mayhem and a decades spanning epic. It was an odd decision, even risky, to try and blend the two and if you ask me it just does not work. I watched the film hoping for something so silly it would turn the corner back into genius, as some recent films including Pacific Rim have managed. What I actually got was a film that took itself a little to seriously and made the mistake of trying to get emotional and deep when it should have stayed in the realms of madness where it probably stood a better chance of success.
I do not think my expectations were misplaced after all the film was called Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The title and the premiss it seemed to promise were silly and fun but the film was not. The attempt to take itself seriously and bring in history simply did not succeed and made the film poorly paced and a little dull when it should have been a laugh...
The lighting and colour choices made it difficult to watch at times and the acting was less than adequate. Also the odd decision to resurrect 'Bullet time' falls into the bad ideas camp. I would give this one a miss and go watch Hawk the Slayer...

5.0 out of 5 stars VAMPIRE HUNTER DVD, 21 May 2014
This film was enjoyable film to watch good action the story line was ok not as good as the blade films can recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than expected., 8 May 2014
I read a lot of reviews on this before I bought it. It was better than expected. Storyline a bit hammy but well acted, great action scenes, decent special effects. Highly recommended. The steel book is nice and embossed.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (Blu-ray + UV Copy)
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (Blu-ray + UV Copy) by Timur Bekmambetov (Blu-ray - 2012)