on 30 January 2013
I just used the Touro Mobile MX3 1TB to back up my MacBook Pro with no problem. This Mac has USB 2.0 connectors not USB 3.0, but the Touro is compatible with both types (ie the cable provided will connect to both types). I backed up approximately 200 Gb of files in about 135 minutes; that's roughly 25 Mb/sec which is what I expected. With a USB 3.0 port you will probably get 3 or 4 times that speed. I checked that I could successfully recover a couple of files via Time Machine.
As some reviewers have noted, the Touro is compact and lightweight - the USB cable that comes with it is short (about 43cm or 17") and sturdy. It means that the disk tends to follow the cable, rather than vice-versa, but that will not be a problem for most users.

My only slight criticism is that the box containing the disk has a list of contents;

2.5" portable drive
USB 3.0 cable
Quick Start Guide

and I searched for a couple of minutes for the 'Quick Start Guide' before it dawned on me .... the 'Quick Start Guide' isn't on paper, its on the disk ... and my Mac can't see it because the disk is formatted for Windows! Doh! Still, it would have been nice if the manufacturer had at least provided the following advice for Mac users (which you will already know if you are experienced with Macs):

To format the disk for Mac
Connect the disk to your Mac using the USB cable provided
On your Mac
Select Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
Select the disk 'TOURO', visible in the list on the LHS of the Disk Utility window
Select 'Erase' from the options on the menu bar in the main part of the Disk Utility window
Set the 'Format' to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'
Enter the 'Name' as whatever you choose to call the disk
Click 'Erase'

and the disk will be erased, renamed and reformatted to be Mac compatible (It takes a minute or so), ready for use as a backup disk with Time Machine, or for whatever else you may use it.

That same procedure will work for most hard disks you are likely to come across - with 'TOURO' changed to whatever is the manufacturer's name of your new disk.

Note: Touro production is now owned by Western Digital. In March 2011, Hitachi agreed to sell its hard disk drive subsidiary, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST), to Western Digital. The transaction was completed in March 2012.
66 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2012
This works out of the box and looks neat (if rather understated). Seems fast enough with USB2 (faster with USB3) (but I haven't done any proper speed tests). Doesn't have any user software (an advantage in my opinion). Would have given it 5 stars but for supplied USB3 lead. This is short (about 44 cm incl. connectors), which isn't particularly generous but seems typical for portable HDDs and may be sufficient for many people, but it's also too stiff and inflexible. This, coupled with the light weight of the drive itself, becomes a nuisance (at least as I want to use it) because it tends to lift the drive and put pressure on the connection at the drive end. I don't have much experience of USB3 leads - typically they seem thicker than USB1/2 leads - but I don't believe it's impossible to make them flexible enough to avoid this problem.
on 19 June 2012
I was looking for a well made, self powered USB 3 hard drive. Only been using it for a few hours today to store music files, but it feels like I made a good choice here. The drive is silent in operation. It has a useful blue LED drive activity light at the cable end of the unit. The supplied cable is well made and around 40cms in length. The great thing about the drive is that I can use it with my USB 3.0 laptop or any other USB 2 based laptops or PC's... A good deal in my book!
1313 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2013
This is a great little hard drive, I use it as a device for streaming digital media to our SmartTVs, both by LG. It replaced a much older Toshiba drive which is now just used as a backup device. The performance is very good, even running it at just USB2 speeds. I have to say these hard drives are a very lazy way of playing back digital content on TVs, they certainly save the hassle of hunting through masses of CDs, DVDs, Blurays to try and find what you're looking for.

As a side note in relation to these sort of drives in general, if you are buying one to use as a recording destination for a SmartTV with record functionality then be aware that when you do this the TV will format the drive with a file system unreadable by Windows \ MacOS and you won't be able to transfer recording to your computer since they are encrypted.
on 14 May 2013
Bought this product last year (mine is branded Hitachi) and whilst the drive itself has not presented any problems, as others have reported, the cable is very dodgy. Now, I cannot plug the cable in properly or move the drive around when connected without the drive disconnecting.

As I am so far outside the 30 day window, my only option is to buy a new USB 2.0 cable (you can use one of the standard USB Mini type plugs as you only use one half of the socket to plug in to). This will solve the problem but this changes the drive from a USB 3.0 back to a USB 2.0 device (I think, anyone know the finer details, please feel free to post).

Anyway, upshot is that these connections seem to be very weak, so be warned.
on 7 June 2012
this is the perfect external disk, soundless, nead, light. never used hitachi before, wasnt sure what to expect, now I totally recomend it
33 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
This unit seemed to be ideal for my needs. I wanted a compact, line powered (no separate AC adaptor) 1Tb hard drive and this was all those things and seemed like very good value. It arrived from Amazon promptly and seemed to be exactly what I had hoped for. I plugged it into my PC and it was recognised straight away. I proceeded to copy around 50Gb of media onto it which it did at a quite a fast rate, so far, so good.
Then when I took the unit and plugged it into my home cinema system USB slot to play some DIVX and AVI video files, the unit was not compatible with the home cinema system. My old USB 2.0 portable hard drive and several flash drives and memory sticks I have plugged into this slot have all played with no problems so I can only assume that this device being USB 3.0 is not backwards compatible with some older USB devices.
Do just check that any devices you intend to use this with will recognise it. As I said, my PC and laptop were fine but the home cinema system wasn't. It may be absolutely spot on for you if you only intend to use it with fairly recent PC's.

I will be sending it back and exchanging it for a similar item that is USB 2.0 and I'll have to live with the slower data transfer speed when copying media onto the device.
As usual with Amazon, returns are minimal fuss!
on 26 October 2012
Hitachi Touro Mobile MX3 - was purchased by it's great value for a 1TB external hardrive compared to a few of it's competitors on the market. The concept fits my life style as an Airbrusher for wedding photo's and helps me to store all the original RAW.files.
The actual product is a simple design with no other features apart from a blue LED light which remains on once connected and flashes when uploading / saving data.

I brought a separate hardcase for this device to prevent any deterioration - I have only had this for a month, but I will surely send another review if there is a fault -

If you're looking for simple, no fuss, at great value - this is the item for you. It does what it says on the pack!
on 14 October 2012
I've had this for a few weeks now, very pleased with it.

For anyone curious, the drive is powered by one USB plug, ie. the cable doesn't split into a "Y" requiring two USB ports like some other drives I've seen, this was something that I was concerned about that wasn't clear to me before purchase.

My plan was to hook it up to my LCD TV's USB input. And I'm pleased to report that this is working out great (at least with my TV). Some people complained about the lack of an On/Off switch, but having it power on/off when my TV does is actually very handy.

The cable is rather short, and using a USB extension cable didn't work for me. (which is what I expected. I don't think it's recommended to even *try* using one with certain USB devices)
The cable also appears to be of a proprietary design (on the drive end), which makes wear-and-tear on the cable something I'm worried about. Having said that, the cable is quite strong-looking, not like the very delicate ones you'd get with an iPhone (etc.).

It's a very quiet drive, and apart from the blue LED, you'd hardly know it was on unless you were right up close to it. I'm easily irritated by noise, so this is a big plus for me.
on 22 August 2012
Needed a larger external hard drive and had been very happy with my Seagate 500GB and was very tempted to go for the Seagate 1TB despite some of the reviews.
Then found this drive which was slightly cheaper (not enough to really make a difference) and 3.0 USB. Having read the reviews of the other owners, I thought I'd give it a go. So far it has performed very well. Transfer of 60GB of music and 300GB of films was effortless. The actual drive is fairly plain and extremely quiet. What really impressed me was the connection to the drive which is very sturdy and better than the Seagate connector. Over all, impressed and would highly recommend.