Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 January 2012
This really is a fantastic album, probably just topping Wall of Arms. It's not an immediate album, but man does it get better with every listen. I've been playing it daily since it was first released and I'm still not bored of it. It really is an album of real depth. Don't listen to the negative reviews, just go out and buy it, I'm already confident this will be one of my top 3 albums of 2012.
on 2 September 2012
A wonderful evolution from Colour It In, their 'sound' has emerged as something vocally mature, emotionally raw and sophisticated.

First time I heard it, one had to pause what she was doing - it's just arresting. There are no wasteful album 'fillers', just simply superior pieces of music. They've put an awful lot into the album, you can hear it, nor do you have to listen particularly hard.

I couldn't pick one track to dismiss. I could pick them all to recommend. And I do.

Some oldies may dislike the band's evolution but let's be blunt, people change. With luck, you've changed too. So you can, too, appreciate their beautiful growth.

I was a good fan, nothing special, now, I'm a smitten fan, desperate to see them live, with the proviso their music develops as creatively as it's doing.

Well done!
on 28 July 2012
The Maccabees third outing 'Given To The Wild' is an excellent album, certainly one of the years best. It's a very atmospheric piece and it immediately made me think of Foals (another great band). Like Foals album 'Total Life Forever' it has a drifting, eerie rock vibe with distant guitars and spider like synths, and yet it can be jaunty and groovey with hypnotic basslines and quick paced drumming. Orlando Weeks' vocals are top notch too, some how sounding light and fragile yet powerful at the same time.

The title track and 'Child' start things off in a sombre fashion, drifting along in a darkly beautiful way before kicking in to life in the latter track. The singles 'Feel To Follow' and 'Pelican' are both effortessly catchy and bursting with life. 'Ayla' and 'Went Away' continue this vibe. The former a wonderful, piano led track that keeps its pounding beat, while the latter leaps along on its upbeat guitars and dancey beat. There are a number of darker tracks including the standout 'Unknow' and 'Heave', as well as the brilliant 'Forever I've Known'. There is no filler to be found, its a true album with the same vibe carried on throughout.

Definately one of the years best albums!
on 3 April 2012
I'm not a huge Maccabees fan, their previous albums are decent and they have produced a few good singles in the past. Given To The Wild is something new, not only is their sound more complete but the album is much more solid than its predecessors.

As soon as I heard Pelican I loved it, I thought exactly the same when I heard Love Me Better. That time it prompted me to buy an album that was alright, this time I have bought an album I really rate.

The whole thing flows brilliantly and you cant help but listen to it from start to finish, it doesn't sound right any other way. As an Indie rock fan its another great example of a renaissance in my favourite genre of music. It works on lots of levels, quietly on in the background, loud when you want everyone to hear or when you're in the mood to appreciate a damn good record. Either way it's a must buy.
on 9 June 2012
before "given to the wild" came along i was relatively naive of the maccabees, i had heard snippets of "wall of arms" but nothing really grabbed me; apart from Orlando Weeks's voice (which reminds me very much of bryan ferry) and i was listening to what i considered to be better and more important bands. i like many others heard "pelican" and buzzed of it. i read a few reviews comparing the album with coldplay, which very nearly put me off! eventually i downloaded it and stuck it on my ipod on the way to work that morning. i nearly didn't get out of my car, or drive to work! the sound of this album washed over me with a beautiful elegance, spine tingling is an understatement... it's an emotional but mature piece of work, intelligent layers of keys and guitars all complimenting each other beautifully. and Orlando Weeks's voice is haunting and sublime. also Sam Doyle's drumming is exceptional, very tight and seamless changes in tempo. it will be interesting to see if Rupert Jarvis can keep up this level of song writing cos this album is a tough act to follow...there are to many great tracks, but if i had to choose my favs it would be "unknow" "pelican" and "ayla". coldplay it aint, brilliant it is!
on 20 January 2014
Wow, what an album. This band is criminally overlooked outside the UK, but that's no excuse to pass them by. Don't listen to any marketing guff that describes them as "indie Coldplay". If you're looking for stadium anthems and catchy melodies, you should stick to the shallow end of the music scene. This is a proper album, the way they used to make them. Not just 2 tracks that sell smartphones and 8 tracks of filler. Every track is brilliantly executed and causes the album to hang together as a whole. After almost 2 years you can still find something fresh here. As for comparisons, it's hard to pick them. Another reviewer mentioned Foals and I have to agree (especially the Holy Fire album). However, there are also shades of Pink Floyd, Elbow, Bloc Party, Wild Beasts, Arctic Monkeys and (yes) Coldplay. What stands out most is the musical talent. They're incredibly inventive and dynamic as a band. At times the production doesn't help - it's almost too clean and makes you wish they hadn't spent 18 months in the studio. The result is an album that you can play loud in the car or lose yourself to in your bedroom. Almost a work of art, but that's pushing it.
on 17 April 2012
This is my first encounter with the Macabees, apart from Toothpaste kisses, and I love it.
Every single track is individual, I've been listening to it constantly for weeks and I'm still not tired of it.
Only wish I had managed to catch their live tour, but was just a couple of days late, so missed it.
on 23 July 2013
this is the first maccabees release i have owned, and on the strength of it, i'll be buying their previous 2 efforts aswell. it's the best album i've heard in years, and i've listened to a lot of albums (trust me). it's consistently brilliant throughout, but the real standouts are the wonderful "glimmer", the soaring "went away" and the epic "go". Surprisingly, as far as atmosphere goes and towards the end of the album especially, the songs almost remind me of spaced out sasha mixes from around the turn of the millenium, with a haunting feeling that shimmers throughout. 10/10 and THE album of the last 5 years for me.
on 17 May 2012
Had heard of this band by the name of The Maccabees some time ago, but for whatever reason didn't give them much thought. I may have fallen in love with this band at the right time if 'Given To The Wild' is anything to go by. I'm sure (& I will be checking) that their earlier material is just as good, but as my introduction to the band with this sublime album of the most thought provoking, atmospheric, ethreal, pulsating set of songs crafted by extremely talented musicians I made the right choice...and I hope you do too.
on 21 April 2012
Album of the year so far. Never heard these guys play before but hell, they blew my mind especially after a couple of listens. From beginning to end, make sure you play at full volume!