on 18 December 2011
There's no story to this at all... there's no character development, no plot - no real narrative - but then narrative sucks: It has to make sense, and be coherent, and stuff. Wait... What's that? It's a collection of articles that Gary's written over the last million years or so since this internet thing went mainstream? Then it makes perfect sense.

These articles - mostly humourous but all with a (perhaps geeky) thought-provoking point, were all penned by Gary for various publications for which he write, some of the technologies and organisations mentioned have been and gone but the stories are worth telling. Although Gary himself claims in this that he's not a proper geek (I think this is because he does all his writing on a keyboard and doesn't own a lab coat with 38 uncapped biros stuffed in the top pocket - but keyboard tends to imply geekish leanings, lab coat implies boffinry in my ebook that sits in my lab coat pocket). Having heard the guy on the radio he's maybe not a true geek, but he is most definitely a technology evangelist (when it does something worthwhile) and if he thinks it's rubbish he says so (then eats his words 6 months later when it takes off and becomes the next big thing).

It's not something that you need to read from cover to cover in a single go (although I confess I did) it's something you can dip in and out of - if you've got a spare 5 minutes to fill, there's a chapter to fill it for you - made me laugh out loud inappropriately in a meeting too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 17 October 2012
Good book - well worth the money. I also bought his other book which was slightly science fiction but rooted in a lot of current technology.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again